* Towing (at present)
* Weight
* Ease of parking
* Supercharging speed (mph/kph)
* Interior arrangement options
* Warranty coverage for high-mileage drivers
* "Flashiness"
* More conventional vs. more spartan interior and interface

Etc, etc, etc. What are your actual wants / needs?

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have driven both so maybe I'll share my thoughts here. Yes, the Model X is much higher and gives you that SUV view of the road, it's a great car but there was one thing I just personally could not get over. The view from drivers seat of the Model X, especially where the windshield meets the dash and A pillar, and it makes me cringe every time I say these words.....reminded me of the Pontiac Aztec! Possibly the all time winner of ugly cars horrible design in my book! It just had a cheap appearance to me, even though I know it's not a cheap car. Now, I do love the Model X for many reason but that one aspect was really a turn off for me personally.

In the Model 3 by comparison you sit much lower and have an amazing view of the road in front of you. The hood line and low dash give it a very sporty and high quality feel. If you really like the SUV feel the Model 3 might not be for you. I'd say without having a Model 3 available you should test drive a similar size BMW or Audi and compare those to the Model X, it will at least give you a reasonable data point to compare. That being said however I'd put the 3 up against anything from BMW or Audi and without exception the Model 3 would be the clear winner in overall design and driving experience. Especially the view from behind the wheel!!:)
Thanks!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Trev, Spent an hour driving a model X. Very impressed. I especially like the higher seating position and view from the drivers position. Actually considered canceling my model three reservation for an X. You’re the only guy I know who has driven a model 3. How would you rate the driving experience (assuming you have sat in an X)? I especially like the seating position of an SUV.
I’ve driven an X, S and 3. I’d put the 3 in the middle of the S and X in terms of drivers point of view. The S feels claustrophobic in my opinion given the high dash and low seating position. The X has the best view being higher off the ground and the pano windshield. The 3 fells better than the S in my opinion because it has a better view and its more nimble. Doesn’t feel as large or heavy as the S or X. I think for a lot of people it’s going to be the perfect compromise.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve driven an X, S and 3. I’d put the 3 in the middle of the S and X in terms of drivers point of view. The S feels claustrophobic in my opinion given the high dash and low seating position. The X has the best view being higher off the ground and the pano windshield. The 3 fells better than the S in my opinion because it has a better view and its more nimble. Doesn’t feel as large or heavy as the S or X. I think for a lot of people it’s going to be the perfect compromise.
Excellent. Thank you

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Law says that anything less than 3 blinks is equal to no blinks. EU.
I absolutely agree - anything less than 3 is not acceptable. Also no maneuver can be done
within 1 blink. Having only one blink pretty much guarantees some other drivers will not notice it.
It's not debatable. Some will miss it. We are not robots.

Just a question - who visually looks at turn indicator light(s) at the instrument cluster?
PS: some vehicles have one light for both indicator sides. That wasn't a problem until Model3 ?!?
I would conclude that Model 3's solution as being "unsafe, etc" is totally made up.
Also, back to question. Who looks at the blinking light on the dash?
If you don't know which indicator you just switched on, you are not fit for driving;)
The law in the US does not specify number of blinks. And the majority of drivers use precisely zero blinks.

Furthermore the whole point is to signal your intention...that is, ahead of time. Once you are half in the other lane you don't need blinkers to know what is going on.

There are many situations such as multilane splits where several blinks will make drivers in a neighboring lane think you are coming in to their lane, but one blink says hey I'm staying in my lane but taking the right split. There are other times where there is no one around (if a tree falls...) and one blink is fine. Other times I might want 4 or 5 blinks. I don't like the car to decide the duration for me.
But it is informative to know this is a law in the EU and explains why it is the default in many vehicles.

the whole point is to signal your intention...that is, ahead of time.
This is true in EU as well. First you blink, at least 3 times so everybody who is looking actually sees that, then you move your wheel.

situations such as multilane splits where several blinks will make drivers in a neighboring lane think you are coming in to their lane, but one blink says hey I'm staying in my lane but taking the right split.
Lane splits. One who is on that lane has the right of way for both ways and is not switching lanes. No signalling is used. If one is changing lanes (or has the intent of changing lane soon) at/after the split then normal* signalling is used.
Other drivers don't count blinks. It's a binary system. Either HIGH (intent registered) or LOW. This is how EAP will also work. This is how blind spot monitoring system works today. If car registers intent (HIGH), aka you touched stalk, it will beep as a warning that lane change is not acceptable at the moment. Though split is not lane change. No warning when choosing any direction even if there is a vehicle in a blindspot.

there is no one around (if a tree falls...) and one blink is fine. Other times I might want 4 or 5 blinks. I don't like the car to decide the duration for me.
If there is an emergency then indicators should not be used. Crash should be avoided. In case of emergency maneuver, vehicle (modern) will turn on hazards for you.
If you see an obstacle far away and want to change lanes, you do the normal* procedure. The fact that "there is nobody around" has absolutely nothing to do with turn indicator usage**. It's just common mistake not to use them when there is little traffic. My brother got a warning for not using blinker while exiting roundabout. Of course police said the most appropriate thing: "blinkers are not for those who you see, they are for those who you don't see".

*normal - blink at least 3 times before maneuver.
If maneuver takes longer then blinking should not end at least until maneuver has started, better until it has been finished (AFAIK in driving school indicator should be on until you have finished lane change, or turn etc). So if one wants to change lanes and there is no space, then blinker should be hard-pushed (will stay on forever) for at least to the moment when lane change is in process. It's not ok to show 3 blinks and shortly after start lane change.

In conclusion, 3 blinks is bare minimum in absolutely any scenario. Anything longer and you either have to soft-hold or hard-press (and return manually when needed). Triple-blink will not prevent you from doing 4-xx blinks.

** It is very important not to asses the need to use blinker in normal traffic before signalling. It is a very bad habit for any driver. It steals brain power for a process that is worth absolutely nothing. It should be a reflex, not a decision. I'm good at it. This is why I indicate when I maneuvers on my driveway and have accidentally indicated in evasive maneuver situation. I don't think when I do it. Exactly the same as not thinking about clutch pedal usage when changing gears. This is why some people tap footrest with left foot when engaging drive on automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

** It is very important not to asses the need to use blinker in normal traffic before signalling. It is a very bad habit for any driver. It steals brain power for a process that is worth absolutely nothing. It should be a reflex, not a decision. I'm good at it. This is why I indicate when I maneuvers on my driveway and have accidentally indicated in evasive maneuver situation. I don't think when I do it. Exactly the same as not thinking about clutch pedal usage when changing gears. This is why some people tap footrest with left foot when engaging drive on automatic.
I agree with this. Just because you think there is no traffic is no excuse to not use your turn indicator. None of the US laws allow for no indicator use because there is no one around. It is not optional. If there were more drivers that didn't think that way, it would solve another handful of issues.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If there is an emergency then indicators should not be used. Crash should be avoided. In case of emergency maneuver, vehicle (modern) will turn on hazards for you.
If you see an obstacle far away and want to change lanes, you do the normal* procedure. The fact that "there is nobody around" has absolutely nothing to do with turn indicator usage**. It's just common mistake not to use them when there is little traffic. My brother got a warning for not using blinker while exiting roundabout. Of course police said the most appropriate thing: "blinkers are not for those who you see, they are for those who you don't see".
I didn't mean emergency situation, I meant the quote "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Of course all cars activate hazards after a collision.

I live on a very busy rotary. Care to watch my front security camera and count the number of cars who use signals exiting?
It's approximately two a day. That is, the two times I drive through it :)

I used to often pick up visiting europeans at the airport and drive them up to my old work. I loved watching their reactions and amazement to how things are here. No blinkers, left lane drivers, horrible pavement, no brain cells... come visit some time

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
(...)
I used to often pick up visiting europeans at the airport and drive them up to my old work. I loved watching their reactions and amazement to how things are here. No blinkers, left lane drivers, horrible pavement, no brain cells... come visit some time
Don’t think driving practices in Europe are perfect everywhere, Josh... ! ;)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don’t think driving practices in Europe are perfect everywhere, Josh... ! ;)
There tends to be a difference between Northern and Southern European countries (and West-East to a lesser extend). But horrible driving practices are no excuse for horribly functioning blinker systems incorporated in the car: at least 3 blinks.

Last edited: