First In-Depth look at the Tesla Model 3

RCvetter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doug did have a good point abut the turn indicators though, they might be easy to miss where where they are on the screen. Do we know if they make a noise inside the car?
Yes, they do make a noise. I haven't had an issue with missing them - once you become accustomed to the screen it's easy to keep track.

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
RC, I saw that the stalk doesn't stay up or down when you engage the turn signal, but does the signal keep flashing until the wheel turns sufficiently back in the opposite direction of the turn? In other words, will it automatically turn off after the turn is complete, or do you need to turn the signal off yourself?

RCvetter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
RC, I saw that the stalk doesn't stay up or down when you engage the turn signal, but does the signal keep flashing until the wheel turns sufficiently back in the opposite direction of the turn? In other words, will it automatically turn off after the turn is complete, or do you need to turn the signal off yourself?
Two settings - one where you hit it lightly and it blinks 3x then stops, one where you hit it and it stays on, in which case it disengages a)when you complete a turn or b)when you turn it off (i.e. Lane change). It has been a big adjustment for me.
The benefit of the stalk not locking is that in Model 3, the turn signal turns itself off after completing a lane change on Autopilot. Such a simple, beautiful thing.

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the response. I think my fiance's Highlander does the 3x blink thing, which I believe is meant to be for lane changes. Sounds similar anyway.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, but for a different reason. I'm 6'2" and on my current car (Mazda 6) and a Model X I test drove I couldn't see the speedometer because the steering wheel was in the way. I prefer a low steering wheel for arm comfort and on my Mazda it blocks the top half of the speedometer (~30 to 130 MPH). On the Model X it was worse, the entire speed readout was blocked and I couldn't see the autopilot status icons.

I drove a Prius for 10 years and I loved it's off center display. I believe the speedometer on the screen complaints will mostly disappear as people get to drive the Model 3 and and get used to it like I did on the Prius.

Doug did have a good point abut the turn indicators though, they might be easy to miss where where they are on the screen. Do we know if they make a noise inside the car?
My husband's around your height and has the same issues with the steering wheel/speedo visibility, so yeah the center displays are good in that way.

Yes the turn signal indicators have an audible "clicking" sound in the car.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doug did have a good point abut the turn indicators though, they might be easy to miss where where they are on the screen.
Yeah, it's hard to notice the blinking. The green circle stays on for the duration, with just a small white arrow inside the circle blinking. Perhaps they'll make the blinking part larger in a future software update.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Personally, I hate the 3x lane-change-blink from momentary press. But my wife insists on it.
On our last BMW and MINI, the 1x and 3x blink was a choice in the settings, and followed the profile in each key, so we were both happy.
Our new Mazda does not have profiles in the keys, so I am constantly annoyed by too many blinks!
Let's hope Tesla eventually makes that a setting and assignable to driver profile as well.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Personally, I hate the 3x lane-change-blink from momentary press. But my wife insists on it.
On our last BMW and MINI, the 1x and 3x blink was a choice in the settings, and followed the profile in each key, so we were both happy.
Our new Mazda does not have profiles in the keys, so I am constantly annoyed by too many blinks!
Let's hope Tesla eventually makes that a setting and assignable to driver profile as well.
blinks.jpg

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One blink is insufficient
OT Rant/ The issue (I have) with three blinks is making a mistake/changing my mind--and the darn blinker is still blinking. Sometimes people change their minds/make mistakes and don't want a residual erroneous signal.

Don't get me started on cars/trucks that unlock and leave the backup lights on--very annoying in a parking garage where you're trying to avoid people backing out as you drive past. I don't know what's the matter with automotive engineers. Somebody's idea of "safety" I suppose. /OT rant

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't get me started on cars/trucks that unlock and leave the backup lights on
YES! A thousand times yes!

Also, my car has a "safety feature", where if you slam on the brakes suddenly, but then let off of the brake pedal, it assumes that your foot slipped off, and continues until it executes a full panic-stop. There have been several times that I thought someone was going to rear-end me because of this.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
YES! A thousand times yes!

Also, my car has a "safety feature", where if you slam on the brakes suddenly, but then let off of the brake pedal, it assumes that your foot slipped off, and continues until it executes a full panic-stop. There have been several times that I thought someone was going to rear-end me because of this.
Let's hope it's the smart engineers that are working on FSD. :p

One blink is insufficient
Law says that anything less than 3 blinks is equal to no blinks. EU.
I absolutely agree - anything less than 3 is not acceptable. Also no maneuver can be done
within 1 blink. Having only one blink pretty much guarantees some other drivers will not notice it.
It's not debatable. Some will miss it. We are not robots.

Just a question - who visually looks at turn indicator light(s) at the instrument cluster?
PS: some vehicles have one light for both indicator sides. That wasn't a problem until Model3 ?!?
I would conclude that Model 3's solution as being "unsafe, etc" is totally made up.
Also, back to question. Who looks at the blinking light on the dash?
If you don't know which indicator you just switched on, you are not fit for driving;)

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Also, back to question. Who looks at the blinking light on the dash?
I do, when the blinker is on when I don't expect it to be, I usually look to see which way to flip the lever. Under normal circumstances, I don't think I ever do.

Thank you kindly.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Law says that anything less than 3 blinks is equal to no blinks. EU.
I absolutely agree - anything less than 3 is not acceptable. Also no maneuver can be done
within 1 blink. Having only one blink pretty much guarantees some other drivers will not notice it.
It's not debatable. Some will miss it. We are not robots.
You can hold the thing down, you realize--you're not limited to one blink. I understand some lazy people will hit the stalk once, but if they're that lazy and untrained in proper driving, they're probably not going to signal at all. This is the nanny state :eek: deciding for us on a thing any moderately trained bird, dog or ape could easily accomplish (i.e., holding down the stalk long enough to signal your intention). Get off my lawn, you darn kids! (that's a joke. but not the other part.)

I do, when the blinker is on when I don't expect it to be, I usually look to see which way to flip the lever.
In case of dual stage stalks (Model 3), flipping both ways halfway will stop endless blinking. In case of flipping same direction, it will blink 3 more times, in case of opposite direction, it will stop immediately.
You can hold the thing down, you realize--you're not limited to one blink. I understand some lazy people will hit the stalk once, but if they're that lazy and untrained in proper driving, they're probably not going to signal at all.
Well, holding is hard/dangerous in some situations. Comfort(triple)-blinker is helping with that. And with situations blinker will not come out as well. Holding blinker while turning means turning with one hand.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, holding is hard/dangerous in some situations. Comfort(triple)-blinker is helping with that. And with situations blinker will not come out as well. Holding blinker while turning means turning with one hand.
Not while turning, while changing lanes. While turning, you pull it down so that it sticks. This is a bizarre conversation to me. I thought it was obvious how a turn signal is supposed to work. Apparently not. :oops:

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trev, Spent an hour driving a model X. Very impressed. I especially like the higher seating position and view from the drivers position. Actually considered canceling my model three reservation for an X. You’re the only guy I know who has driven a model 3. How would you rate the driving experience (assuming you have sat in an X)? I especially like the seating position of an SUV.

Matthias Fritz

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@TrevP there is some german guy using content from your In-depth-review. just wanted to let you know so you can react or not if you want. at least it is still your property. in the description he said he was asking you for allowance.

Part1:

Part2:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trev, Spent an hour driving a model X. Very impressed. I especially like the higher seating position and view from the drivers position. Actually considered canceling my model three reservation for an X. You’re the only guy I know who has driven a model 3. How would you rate the driving experience (assuming you have sat in an X)? I especially like the seating position of an SUV.
I have driven both so maybe I'll share my thoughts here. Yes, the Model X is much higher and gives you that SUV view of the road, it's a great car but there was one thing I just personally could not get over. The view from drivers seat of the Model X, especially where the windshield meets the dash and A pillar, and it makes me cringe every time I say these words.....reminded me of the Pontiac Aztec! Possibly the all time winner of ugly cars horrible design in my book! It just had a cheap appearance to me, even though I know it's not a cheap car. Now, I do love the Model X for many reason but that one aspect was really a turn off for me personally.

In the Model 3 by comparison you sit much lower and have an amazing view of the road in front of you. The hood line and low dash give it a very sporty and high quality feel. If you really like the SUV feel the Model 3 might not be for you. I'd say without having a Model 3 available you should test drive a similar size BMW or Audi and compare those to the Model X, it will at least give you a reasonable data point to compare. That being said however I'd put the 3 up against anything from BMW or Audi and without exception the Model 3 would be the clear winner in overall design and driving experience. Especially the view from behind the wheel!!:)

Last edited: