First full ("normal") day with my Model 3

Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

spudnik187

Country
Country
Yeah, it works very well!

Most cars with home link have 3 physical buttons but this appears to unlimited...
Awesome. I've never seen the screens for that in the UI. Do you mind posting some if you get a minute? or is it part of one of the standard menus and I've just always overlooked it in the screenshots people have posted?

ng0

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I love that you can preconfigure your default speed -- relative or absolute and how fast. I have gone with 7 MPH above relative to posted speed limit. It works really well. I also tested enabling it at low speed, so it immediately kicked in with a max speed of 72 MPH, but with the car in front of me fairly close it didn't jump and then brake -- it read the situation and kicked into autopilot rolling at 20 MPH!

This was such a great post!!! I can't believe I hadn't seen it until now. And I even learned something new! I didn't know you could set the relative speed. So cool! Also, I must say that I've been swaying back and forth between midnight silver, silver and white and you're once again convincing me at how beautiful midnight silver is. :)

Reactions: SoFlaModel3

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Awesome. I've never seen the screens for that in the UI. Do you mind posting some if you get a minute? or is it part of one of the standard menus and I've just always overlooked it in the screenshots people have posted?

Very easy to miss as it's not in the menus. It's the "home" icon in the top row of the screen.

It's exactly the same as Model S, so check this out (too lazy to go in the garage right now :p)

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_6333.jpg

This was such a great post!!! I can't believe I hadn't seen it until now. And I even learned something new! I didn't know you could set the relative speed. So cool! Also, I must say that I've been swaying back and forth between midnight silver, silver and white and you're once again convincing me at how beautiful midnight silver is. :)

This was new to me as well. I was always confused in my dad's S that it showed....

Current speed
Speed Limit
Speed in a circle (matching the speed limit)

I scratched my head wondering why it showed the speed limit twice. I never bothered to look into it as I really never drove the car frequently enough or for long enough duration to bother researching it. So in the autopilot setting screens you can set your speed limit "absolute" or "relative". I went with "relative" and "7 mph", so basically what I see on the highway...

Current speed = xx MPH
Speed Limit = 65 MPH
Speed in Circle = 72 MPH

Double tap the stalk down and autopilot is engaged at 72 MPH. From there you can manually adjust up or down using the + and - on the left third while in autopilot. I saw a negative review before getting the car, but must admit my experience is nothing but positive after 3 full days of commuting to and from work!

Reactions: 3 people

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Thought some of you might want to see @SoFlaModel3 take delivery of his Model 3...

Enjoy!

OMG! This Founding Father can’t go to sleep now... :rolleyes::):cool:

Edited after viewing : Ok, that’s it... I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep for 18+ months now... the car is sooo right. And it’s great to see the grin & joy on @SoFlaModel3 ’s face...

@TrevP ... suggest you plan a trip to Southern France next year to do the same when Midnight S≡R≡NITY (finally) gets here... :)

Last edited:

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know many are upset with the recent delays, so hopefully this post will help reaffirm that if its possible in your personal situation you should wait at all costs and do not hastily get something else. This is THE car!

Overnight I found myself in the garage a few times "checking in". I couldn't help myself :)

At work, the car was the talk of the office. People came out in waves to take a look at it. There was a consistent response of "dropped jaw silence" :eek::eek::eek:. From figuring out the door handles, to wondering where everything went inside, to looking at all that glass... people were astounded.

Let's start with some quirks as you have to consider the bad with the good when trying to give a fair review.
  1. The sun visor does a great job with head on sun, but it's rather poor when flipped to the side. I found that the sun was routinely just beneath the visor and shining right into my face.
  2. The frunk isn't that easy to close -- I know how to close it, but still have a fear of damaging it and don't bother trying to do it while holding groceries. I suspect (assume) it's intentional design for safety in the event of an accident but it's a bit rough.
  3. The trunk also isn't that easy to close -- not like the videos you've seen where people slam it shut only to have it reopen (that hasn't happened to me), but the trunk really wants to be open, so if you have a double move (pull down, let go for a second, push down) you'll find the trunk quickly jumps back up as soon as you switch your hand position.
  4. The rear view mirror is a little small. I don't actually have any issues with visibility at all, so it's more of a comment that it literally just looks too small.
  5. No blind spot detection built in. I know they're "idiot lights", but even still I think this is a poor omission. P.S. thanks to @TrevP for the walk through on proper mirror position. A bit awkward to adjust to, but really works perfectly!
Ok so that's it, nothing major right?

On to the things I love!
  1. My plan from the start was to use Apple Music and Waze hazard/police alerts in the background. This plan executes flawlessly in Model 3. To expand, let me step back to my old Hyundai Sonata. I would get in and the phone would take about 15-30 seconds to connect to Bluetooth. While waiting the radio would play the SiriusXM preview station and then require me to change the source. First world problems right? Anyway, not with Model 3. My guess is that because your phone is your key and the Bluetooth is always active, you obviously connect as you approach. As soon as the door opens my music starts playing right where I left off. Awesome! Then tuck the phone in the dock, which I'm getting better connecting to (still will get the Qi pad when it launches in April though) and away we go! Waze alerts for police and road hazards quietly play in the background as they occur and I couldn't be happier!
  2. Homelink with GPS = win! As you approach your gate or garage door Homelink automatically activates and tells you how close you're getting to the trigger point you set. 50 ft, 40 ft, 30.... and go! Perfect accuracy and the gate to my neighborhood and garage door open like a champ. I'm a bit nervous to play with auto close -- just have this likely irrational fear of the garage closing on my car.
  3. Sound system is phenomenal. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but it's by far and away the best OEM system I have ever had.
  4. Driving feel and view. The steering wheel feels great in your hands and it's maneuvering a car that feels so connected to the road you would swear it's driving on rails. I am thoroughly impressed at how nimble this heavy car is. I floored it with my friend/co-worker and he screamed :D
  5. Pre-cooling! I checked the app before I walked out of the office and it said the interior of my car was 105F. Parking in the Florida sun will do that. Pre-cooling the cabin worked like a charm and the car was perfectly cool when I got! This isn't natural for me yet, so I do need to make sure I remind myself to do it until it does. Window tint goes on Saturday which should help a lot as well.
  6. The size! It's small and big at the same time. It's an amazing triumph that this car is much smaller than Model S and certainly smaller than my old Hyundai Sonata as well yet from the inside with the design and glass, it just feels huge!!
  7. Autopilot reduces stress! I did about 70 autopilot miles today. Obviously I was paying close attention to my reaction to it, but wow its impressive in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic on the highway. It was solid the whole way. We have one of those speed lanes where half of the day it goes with traffic east and then the back half of the day it goes with traffic west. I was prepared to take over as there are lines all over the place and it literally never wavered for a second (note I have seen many human drivers fail badly in the same place). I love that you can preconfigure your default speed -- relative or absolute and how fast. I have gone with 7 MPH above relative to posted speed limit. It works really well. I also tested enabling it at low speed, so it immediately kicked in with a max speed of 72 MPH, but with the car in front of me fairly close it didn't jump and then brake -- it read the situation and kicked into autopilot rolling at 20 MPH!
  8. It's fast! At the interchange from one highway to another it's a long sloping ramp to the left with a decent height increase and sharp decrease. I was alone on the ramp and got to see what she could do. The car is fast, silent, and planted to the road. Literally a dream!
  9. No key is much better than having a key! I was cautiously optimistic with the whole phone key idea and wow it's so cool. My sample size is small of course, but it hasn't failed me yet. The doors unlock with perfect timing on approach. Also, again comparing to my old Hyundai Sonata, I had the BlueLink app where I could remote start the car, unlock and a few other things. The issue -- after choosing a command the time it took Hyundai to beam it from the app to the cloud to the car was literally anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Also, their remote start had a limit and would turn the car back off (horrible for the environment after all). Well, again Tesla got it right. The time from selecting the command to the resulting action is literally the blink of an eye!
  10. Easy entry that you can configure. It's one thing to have easy entry and it's a whole different thing to have it configurable so you control where the steering wheel and seat go. Simply put the car in park and unbuckle your seatbelt and you're on the move to your more comfortable exit and re-entry position.
  11. Supercharger status built right into the navigation. I won't use them a lot, but when on road trips with the family, it's huge that we'll know before arriving at the supercharger how many stalls are available.
  12. Charging at home and having a "full tank" when you wake up removes the stress of not getting gas after work telling yourself it's ok you'll get it in the morning only to get off to a slow start and forget you had an early morning meeting that you'll be late for if you stop.
  13. I love Midnight Silver! I will say the Model 3 basically looks great in ever color, so fear not you can't make a bad decision here. I do love the range of Midnight Silver though. It glistens in the bright South Florida sun, looks almost blue in my garage under LED light, and looks great still in the dark. It's going to help hide the bugs on the front and attempt to stay clean though I'll still be washing weekly and removing bugs as often as they appear.
  14. I keep staring at the 19" sport wheels. My jaw dropped seeing them as 20s with the carbon fiber inserts at the prototype reveal. I still absolutely love them as 19s even with the black insert. I think the design really complements the lines of the car flawlessly.
I have run out of superlatives, but I just wish you all well in what is hopefully not much longer of a wait. This car will be worth it as there is nothing else close when it comes to the combination of price, range, design, performance, and wow factor! Hang in there TOO, soon enough these cars will be everywhere.

That's it for now. More miles to log tomorrow and days, weeks, months, and years of adventures to come! :cool:

View attachment 5565

EDIT

2 more things I love about the car but forgot to mention
  1. One pedal driving is absolutely great! I have barely touched the brake pedal so far in 3 days. I would say it takes half a day to get used to regen and then you'll never want to "creep" again. I have barely touched the brakes (really just to complete the stop).
  2. It fits in my garage nicely! I'm not sure a Model S would fit. In the picture you can see my Model 3 next to my wife's Hyundai Sonata (which is my previous car as well). The garage is definitely roomier and I'm happy about that!
View attachment 5597

First of all, great post, man! Very happy for you, and thanks for encouraging the rest of us! Was this delivery based on your dad's current ownership of a Model S? I can't recall.

Two quick questions:
1. When you said Waze, I assume you meant using Waze on your phone, and not on the car's computer, correct?
2. @TrevP is there a video of the mirror positioning walkthrough mentioned here? Pardon my ignorance; I don't know how I missed that, if it's been posted before

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
First of all, great post, man! Very happy for you, and thanks for encouraging the rest of us! Was this delivery based on your dad's current ownership of a Model S? I can't recall.

Two quick questions:
1. When you said Waze, I assume you meant using Waze on your phone, and not on the car's computer, correct?
2. @TrevP is there a video of the mirror positioning walkthrough mentioned here? Pardon my ignorance; I don't know how I missed that, if it's been posted before

We went through everything on the Model 3 in our deep dive video some months ago including the mirror adjustments

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thought some of you might want to see @SoFlaModel3 take delivery of his Model 3...

Enjoy!

Thanks again @TrevP, the video came out great! Awesome to have a permanent memory of being completely speechless over the car :cool:

Edited after viewing : Ok, that’s it... I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep for 18+ months now... the car is sooo right. And it’s great to see the grin & joy on @SoFlaModel3 ’s face...

@TrevP ... suggest you plan a trip to Southern France next year to do the same when Midnight S≡R≡NITY (finally) gets here... :)

That's the Tesla grin you hear about. It gets stuck on your face and there is no cure for it :D

Two quick questions:

Yes, this was an "owner priority" under my dad's current ownership of a Model S.

On the Waze piece, yes I meant on the phone. I load Waze and then close the app leaving it running in the background and I get the audible alerts on road hazards, police, and red light cameras.

Reactions: 3 people

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Your kind offer to stay at your place is still on our plate. We're going out East this summer but next summer should be our first trip to Europe and to the South of France of all places! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Michael Russo

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Your kind offer to stay at your place is still on our plate. We're going out East this summer but next summer should be our first trip to Europe and to the South of France of all places! ;)
Well, please pass on the message to Elon when you see him, I need Midnight S≡R≡NITY by June-July ‘19 then!! :cool::france::rainbow:

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I hope for @Michael Russo that he will have Midnight Serenity by then ... but I very much doubt that ... which is an understatement. Maybe you get here a year later, then we both can show you our Model 3 cars.
Come and visit The Netherlands too @TrevP!

Michael Russo

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I hope for @Michael Russo that he will have Midnight Serenity by then ... but I very much doubt that ... which is an understatement. Maybe you get here a year later, then we both can show you our Model 3 cars.
To be clear, I like your invite extension to the Netherlands (@TrevP would end up collecting the visits to Midnight Silver owners :D), not your over conservative projections aimed (I know & understand) at not being disappointed... ;)

I think they will produce at least 180k in the first half of 2019 which means Trev’s full European vacation that summer is a good plan! :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I wouldn't be so negative on the timeline of European rollout. It's no secret that Tesla has been looking for European Gigafactory sites but many have forgotten about Tesla Tilburg, Netherlands. They recently installed a MASSIVE solar array on the building and have an INDOOR test track. With the acquisition of Tesla Grohmann in Germany, I easily imagine them making more assembly robots and shipping them to Netherlands (maybe tear up the test track and move it outside) for expanding the production line there for European orders.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/16/tesla-tilburg-factory-new-massive-solar-array/

Edit: P.S. - That would be a GREAT factory tour for anyone in Europe.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wouldn't be so negative on the timeline of European rollout. It's no secret that Tesla has been looking for European Gigafactory sites but many have forgotten about Tesla Tilburg, Netherlands. They recently installed a MASSIVE solar array on the building and have an INDOOR test track. With the acquisition of Tesla Grohmann in Germany, I easily imagine them making more assembly robots and shipping them to Netherlands (maybe tear up the test track and move it outside) for expanding the production line there for European orders.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/16/tesla-tilburg-factory-new-massive-solar-array/

Edit: P.S. - That would be a GREAT factory tour for anyone in Europe.
Sorry: no.
I have been at that factory tour in Tilburg last August. Even posted about that here. But it's not really a factory. It's an assembly plant for pre-produced parts of Models S and X; rolling body shells, motors, battery packs. All imported from Fremont. This way Tesla saves import taxes and transport costs. After assembly cars are being tested - indoors, in different ways.
The Tilburg plant has been extended and gotten a solar roof this past year. Probably because they also will assemble Model 3's there. But those will definitely not be produced there. That's completely impossible.
There isn't room for a real GF at that site either.

I've said it elsewhere, a second gigafactory in Europe is an unavoidable next step for Tesla. To produce cars, batteries, power packs, solar, etc., for the European market. In fact, I believe that it's impossible to start producing Model Y in the US without a running GF in Europe. Making it possible to get production capacity for Model Y in Fremont and producing 3 and Y in the European GF.
However, even if the location of that GF will be announced this year, it will take years to get permits, building plans, building realisation, start producing. In Europe that's less simple than in other countries (US). Building regulations are strict in our densely populated countries. So, my expectation is that the first car won't leave a European GF before 2022/2023.

I'm not negative or pessimistic, but I try to be realistic. To prevent disappointment. Of myself and of people who read this. Till now I've been about right.

Reactions: 2 people

LUXMAN

Legendary Member 🏆
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My wife would be the first to complain if the car didn’t “feel right” and she hasn’t done anything but smile. Well to be fair she cried at first because she was so happy for me :rolleyes:

The suspension is stiff, don’t get me wrong. However I don’t get out of the car feeling beat up by it. It couldn’t be more comfortable.

My guess is that we continue to see reviews toward each extreme.
To piggyback here, I drove a 3 due to an extremely nice guy and loved the ride and handling. There was even some washboard road. That said, my wife said thr back seat seemed like a harsher ride. But probably due to fact that she was sitting almost over the wheel.

Reactions: SoFlaModel3

wheelers

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
gate to my neighborhood

I know this post is a bit 'old' but I am curious how your neighborhood gate was programmed. Our homelink works perfectly for our garage, but we're having troubles with the gate signal. Can you help explain how you programmed yours? Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I know this post is a bit 'old' but I am curious how your neighborhood gate was programmed. Our homelink works perfectly for our garage, but we're having troubles with the gate signal. Can you help explain how you programmed yours? Thanks!

Mine doesn’t have rolling codes, so this was the easiest possible setup (only the remote needed).

wheelers

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Mine doesn’t have rolling codes, so this was the easiest possible setup (only the remote needed).

hmm. We have a gate remote & when pointing it at the bumper (like we programmed the garage) it would never find the signal. :/ We also have a code we can punch in, but haven't tried using that yet...