Firmware Build v9.0 2019.8.3 da116a6 (3/23/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Did you install firmware 2019.8.3?

• Total voters

Gordon87

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I picked up my 3 on Wed. and this morning, I received my first software update, to 2019.8.3. Two questions:

1. Can I get the software update notes without going to the car, either from the iPhone app or my online Tesla account? I couldn’t find a way to get the notes.

2. When the iPhone app showed the update, it allowed me to click install, but didn’t give me the option to download now and schedule an install later. I thought that was a possibility. It didn’t matter this time, but that would be helpful at other times.

BTW, the app estimated the install to take 45 minutes (I have cell service but not Wi-Fi in the car), but the install actually only took 30 minutes.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I picked up my 3 on Wed. and this morning, I received my first software update, to 2019.8.3. Two questions:

1. Can I get the software update notes without going to the car, either from the iPhone app or my online Tesla account? I couldn’t find a way to get the notes.

2. When the iPhone app showed the update, it allowed me to click install, but didn’t give me the option to download now and schedule an install later. I thought that was a possibility. It didn’t matter this time, but that would be helpful at other times.

BTW, the app estimated the install to take 45 minutes (I have cell service but not Wi-Fi in the car), but the install actually only took 30 minutes.
1) not yet, you have to go to the car.

2) by the time you get the notification, the update is already downloaded. You can only schedule the install from the car.

wst88

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does this include the Auto Lane Change in Nav on Autopilot?
It appears from the comments above, it might be a full roll out.. Hoping AWD gets the power bump in this one.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Confirmed in my AWD this morning @MelindaV - same release notes, 5% Peak Power Increase. Also have FSD, so still a guess on the "Autosteer Stop Light Warning". The working for the stop lights is interesting. It says "If you are using Autosteer", your car may warn you. It also does not say your car will stop on its own, simply that it may warn you. I think we've got to dissect and understand the notes. They could be a little more verbose.

Need a report from cars without FSD. @SoFlaModel3 - did you get the release or just passing those notes on?

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Does your car have Autopilot, Full Self Drive, or neither? I’m curious if the stop light detection is tied to FSD only cars.

Confirmed in an AWD this morning @MelindaV - same release notes, 5% Peak Power Increase. Also have FSD, so still a guess on the "Autosteer Stop Light Warning". The working for the stop lights is interesting. It says "If you are using Autosteer", your car may warn you. It also does not say your car will stop on its own, simply that it may warn you. I think we've got to dissect and understand the notes. They could be a little more verbose.

Need a report from cars without FSD. @SoFlaModel3 - did you get the release or just passing those notes on?
No update here yet. The screenshot was from
@28delayslater on Twitter.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It says "If you are using Autosteer", your car may warn you. It also does not say your car will stop on its own, simply that it may warn you. I think we've got to dissect and understand the notes. They could be a little more verbose.
That sounds like a reasonable incremental step. Tesla should be very careful with this one, because it suggests that you could be using Autosteer on surface streets in populated areas. I do that sometimes now (particularly in stop and go traffic), but this would make that almost a "supported" use (even if it's labelled beta).

Surely under those circumstances they don't want to go directly to the car stopping for the light. Both false positives and false negatives could be quite bad here. If the car thinks something is a red light that's not (e.g. it sees a red light meant for another lane--a false positive), the car could stop short, running the risk of a rear end collision from the car behind. If the car doesn't see a red light, perhaps because it's obscured in some way (a false negative), then a driver with too much confidence might run a red light.

So the way to roll this out is to first do it entirely silently, with the car sending data to Tesla about when it would have stopped for a light and comparing to driver behavior. I assume that's been going on for some time.

The next step is this one. Let the driver in on what the car thinks it should do and again, compare to what the car actually does. It acts as a modest additional safety measure for drivers, but it also gives Tesla more information.

Only after this is tested in the real world for a while can they take the big leap of the car stopping itself for lights.

The roll out for automatic lane changes in NOA follows/followed a similar sequence.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I could potentially see this being a safety feature they give to everyone... but who knows?
the way they worded it as it only warning and not reacting, does sound like something that may become a standard safety thing (even without AP/FSD at all), but would otherwise tend to agree with @SoFlaModel3 that it 99% should be a FSD feature (because non FSD should only be on freeways, right?!)

Arktctr

Country
Country
That sounds like a reasonable incremental step. Tesla should be very careful with this one, because it suggests that you could be using Autosteer on surface streets in populated areas. I do that sometimes now (particularly in stop and go traffic), but this would make that almost a "supported" use (even if it's labelled beta).

Surely under those circumstances they don't want to go directly to the car stopping for the light. Both false positives and false negatives could be quite bad here. If the car thinks something is a red light that's not (e.g. it sees a red light meant for another lane--a false positive), the car could stop short, running the risk of a rear end collision from the car behind. If the car doesn't see a red light, perhaps because it's obscured in some way (a false negative), then a driver with too much confidence might run a red light.

So the way to roll this out is to first do it entirely silently, with the car sending data to Tesla about when it would have stopped for a light and comparing to driver behavior. I assume that's been going on for some time.

The next step is this one. Let the driver in on what the car thinks it should do and again, compare to what the car actually does. It acts as a modest additional safety measure for drivers, but it also gives Tesla more information.

Only after this is tested in the real world for a while can they take the big leap of the car stopping itself for lights.

The roll out for automatic lane changes in NOA follows/followed a similar sequence.
I’m sure they have been “silently” testing this (and many other undisclosed) scenarios for quite some time...our cars are rolling data logging machines with all sorts of possibilities for data analysis. That these cars evolve over time as a direct result of this real world driving analysis is one of my favorite things.

Gordon87

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does your car have Autopilot, Full Self Drive, or neither? I’m curious if the stop light detection is tied to FSD only cars.
I have both AP & FSD. I haven’t tried (experienced) the stoplight detection yet.

BTW, where I park my car, it doesn’t have Wi-Fi. This update came through LTE for me.

Last edited:

Craig Bennett

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve just gone out and tried 8.3 on a quiet street with a few traffic lights and little traffic.
On TACC I didn’t notice anything at all as coming up to lights (of green, yellow or red).
On Autosteer, I didn’t get any warnings, but it did some funky short braking coming up to one red light (still no strewn or audible warning) and maybe it was picking up something else that caused the braking.
I’ll post a video of it when I get back home and link it here.
Did 8.3 have the 5% power bump? A fellow AWD owner wants to know!

Last edited: