Current Firmware Build v9.0 2019.28.2 320fba0 (08/02/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

have you installed 2019.28.2?

• Total voters

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I got the USB too slow warning. Considering that the USB is fairly high speed I wonder if Tesla isn’t just detecting that it’s own ports are slow. I’ll double check the specs.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I got the USB too slow warning. Considering that the USB is fairly high speed I wonder if Tesla isn’t just detecting that it’s own ports are slow. I’ll double check the specs.
before clearing off the USB (so in the same condition as when the car gave the message), what does a utility like BlackMagic Disk Speed show for that drive?

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With 28.2 I have noticed that in Sentry Mode the side cameras now have no 0 Byte or corrupt files. The file sizes are the same as the front cam--29-30 MBytes. This is because there are many more MPEG key frames even with a static scene.

My theory is that in Driving Mode, the cam files are written to the drive continually, with little buffering. In Sentry Mode, I think the 10 minutes of cam data are retained in a memory buffer and written out only when an alert is triggered. In the past the side cameras would have very few key frames in static situations to save memory and keep the write speed of the dump down. The side cam file sizes were usually smaller than the front cam.

Now that they are writing full sized files for all cams, write speed on the memory dump is much faster, and many USB drives may not be able to keep up that did work before.

This is only a theory, but I have so far had no problem with my video capable SD cards or an SSD drive. I stopped using USB drives after one of my fastest USB drives locked up into read only mode. It just couldn't take the constant writing.

I am still curious whether the video SD cards will hold up. Ultimately I think we all will end up using SSD drives as the video recording of the cameras improves.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Currently using this without issue

Samsung MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive

To get the full capacity, use this free (NO NEED TO UPGRADE!!) partition software to create a 256GB FAT32 partition

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
That's the USB stick I am using. Someone suggested reformatting the USB stick. I have done that and will try it again tomorrow. When I get a chance I will also run Melinda's suggested speed test.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
what does AP have to do with not paying attention to the mirrors?
Generally when I change lanes, I still look side to side as the mirrors and my seat comfort don’t match. When on highway, in AP I have read cam on and let car change lanes, thus I don’t particularly pay attention to the shade or angle of side mirrors.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My theory is that in Driving Mode, the cam files are written to the drive continually, with little buffering. In Sentry Mode, I think the 10 minutes of cam data are retained in a memory buffer and written out only when an alert is triggered.
The car is constantly writing to the Recent folder, then when something triggers, whether it's a nearby pedestrian, or a tap on the camera icon, it then transfers the last 10 min from Recent to Saved, while also continuing to write the current video.

That basic methodology hasn't changed, but maybe they're managing the data streams better. There's definitely something different about the files themselves between 20.x and 24.4 / 28.2. I used to be able to swipe the files (fast forward) in 20.x, but in the newer versions some software can and some can't. I can't tell what's different about the encoding, but even if I go back to files i saved from 20.x, I can still swipe, but recent ones can't.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In Palm Beach County on I-95 the HOV Lane is denoted by a double white that has about 2.5 feet of separation between the lines. This has always been a problem for lane changes and NOA as the car would frequently have violent lane changes with about 30-50% of them be aborted lane changes. It was dangerous. However I’ve driven now 160 miles on this stretch using EAP with NOA using this version and have had only one aborted lane change. The lane changes are much smoother and even the aborted lane change was much smoother than before. I’d say this is a very significant upgrade for me, because I couldn’t use NOA in the past as it wasn’t safe. Now I feel better about it and will use it.

Last edited:

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car is constantly writing to the Recent folder, then when something triggers, whether it's a nearby pedestrian, or a tap on the camera icon, it then transfers the last 10 min from Recent to Saved, while also continuing to write the current video.

That basic methodology hasn't changed, but maybe they're managing the data streams better. There's definitely something different about the files themselves between 20.x and 24.4 / 28.2. I used to be able to swipe the files (fast forward) in 20.x, but in the newer versions some software can and some can't. I can't tell what's different about the encoding, but even if I go back to files i saved from 20.x, I can still swipe, but recent ones can't.
On my Mac, I am able to drag in the scroll bar to fast forward the files. Is that what you are talking about?

I know that it writes continually to the Recent Folder on the drive when we are driving. I am less certain about Sentry Mode in the past, because the quality of the side cams was so poor compared to driving mode--the files were smaller, highly compressed with many compression artifacts, and frequently 0 Byte or missing altogether.

All live streams have to be buffered to some extent before writing to a disk. My theory, for which I have no direct evidence, was that in Sentry Mode they were buffering all or most of the 10 minutes and writing it out only when triggered. It seemed that they were conserving storage space and bandwidth.

Now the side cam files are the same size and quality as the center cam and have very few artifacts, so at this point my theory is moot. Sentry Mode images seem to be also equal in quality to Driving Mode--so they may now be writing continually to disk in Sentry Mode. Whatever they are doing, it is much better. Also there seems to be little or no time gap between files. This will make Sentry Mode much more useful.

It's great how our Teslas just keep getting better.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I got this a couple days ago, and just got to testing some things out today. PROFILE matching with KEY CARD or PAK works pretty well. It’s a step in the right direction.

One thing I DID notice today that was not in PREVIOUS builds (I don’t know exactly which time was the last time this worked) but sometimes I sit in the PASSENGER seat of the car while parked/charging and do some work. Laptop open, etc.

Today, after this update, I was charging, got in the car, into the passenger seat and started to work. AC on, fan on 3, radio playing in the background, all good. In about 5 minutes, everything went to sleep. Main Screen went to the BIG charging screen, and nothing I could do, touch wheel, buttons, stalks, would make it come back to life. I tried a double button reboot -= and it did that, but then went RIGHT back to the big charging screen and nothing on.

If I opened the DOOR, system came back up and radio on, AC on, etc. CLOSE door, ALL OFF Again.

So, I moved the DRIVER side got back in car, sat in seat and everything worked fine, car stayed “on” and AC ran, car was charging, regular screen displayed, radio in background, etc and it stayed that was for 1.5 hours. No shutting off, etc.

So, here is the question. SHOULD this work that way, should someone be able to still sit in the passenger seat and have the car ON in some way or can one somehow TURN IT ON?

Is the seat “occupant” sensor in the passenger seat engaged in this in some fashion? Maybe the link between PASSENGER SEAT OCCUPANCY is broken in this build, or MAYBE my PASSENGER SEAT SENDOR is broken? There should be some visible display of that somewhere, it used to be on screen I think.

What should the expectation be? I’d LIKE TO THINK that one should be able to leave a passenger in the car in the passenger seat and have the car continue to operate, if desired and not basically shut off. When the car was on the BIG CHARGING screen - you know the one I mean, not touching screen, stalks, buttons, even trying to press on brake or gas peddle from the passenger SIDE did anything.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my Mac, I am able to drag in the scroll bar to fast forward the files. Is that what you are talking about?
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I used to use Windows Movies & TV app to review files, and it was able to browse the files in that way, but the recent files will not do it in that app. But if I open them in VLC I can still swipe through them. I know it's the files themselves, because again, if I check files I have saved from before, they still work fine in either application.

As to the idea of buffering the trailing 10 minutes of video, it's certainly not an inconceivable notion, though it would require a full gig of RAM dedicated to just that. Considering that dashcam / sentry was not something they planned from the beginning, it strikes me as unlikely that they just had an extra gig lying around. Also, this would mean that if you forgot to 'shut down' the drive before pulling it out, you'd lose the last 10 minutes of video.

So I just now went and drove around for a bit, then hot unplugged my TeslaCam drive to see what happens when the normal process is interrupted unexpectedly. What I ended up with was maybe 30 seconds lost in the Recent folder. So that tends to support that it's buffering the latest minute, then writing to the drive when that minute ends. Though the files are initially written to the Recent folder, it doesn't require any significant USB bandwidth to move them to the Saved folder. It can just change its location in the file allocation table.

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I used to use Windows Movies & TV app to review files, and it was able to browse the files in that way, but the recent files will not do it in that app. But if I open them in VLC I can still swipe through them. I know it's the files themselves, because again, if I check files I have saved from before, they still work fine in either application.

As to the idea of buffering the trailing 10 minutes of video, it's certainly not an inconceivable notion, though it would require a full gig of RAM dedicated to just that. Considering that dashcam / sentry was not something they planned from the beginning, it strikes me as unlikely that they just had an extra gig lying around. Also, this would mean that if you forgot to 'shut down' the drive before pulling it out, you'd lose the last 10 minutes of video.

So I just now went and drove around for a bit, then hot unplugged my TeslaCam drive to see what happens when the normal process is interrupted unexpectedly. What I ended up with was maybe 30 seconds lost in the Recent folder. So that tends to support that it's buffering the latest minute, then writing to the drive when that minute ends. Though the files are initially written to the Recent folder, it doesn't require any significant USB bandwidth to move them to the Saved folder. It can just change its location in the file allocation table.
I haven't tried fast scrolling in any other software than the Mac Quick Look or Quicktime. That still works.

All live streamed recording has to be buffered to allow the drive to stuff the data into non-sequential locations, especially when coming from multiple sources. Normally for a fast drive, live streamed recording would require only a few milliseconds of buffering.

As far as the on board memory goes, when the car is parked and only monitoring the cameras for action, it presumably would have more dynamic memory available than when driving, doing AP etc. My theory was that they still had allocated only limited memory for Sentry Mode buffering and thus the highly compressed glitchy files. It was only a somewhat educated guess.

Fortunately, they seemed to have solved this problem, and we can move on to griping and speculating about other things.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
before clearing off the USB (so in the same condition as when the car gave the message), what does a utility like BlackMagic Disk Speed show for that drive?
Well this was enlightening. Write speed is only about 5 to 8 MB/s. Surprisingly, the fastest USB sticks I have (43MB/S write) are ones that were free from Micro Center but they are relatively small at 32GB.

What is the largest FAT32 drive a Model 3 can handle? Can it handle a 2TB SSD?

Also, I noticed that a lot of the files are named with incorrect time stamps i.e. they are stamped at 4AM when they happened more like 11 AM. This has happened for a long time. Dates are correct but times aren't.

Thanks Melinda.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, I noticed that a lot of the files are named with incorrect time stamps i.e. they are stamped at 4AM when they happened more like 11 AM. This has happened for a long time. Dates are correct but times aren't.
It's likely UTC, not your local time.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got this a couple days ago, and just got to testing some things out today. PROFILE matching with KEY CARD or PAK works pretty well. It’s a step in the right direction.

One thing I DID notice today that was not in PREVIOUS builds (I don’t know exactly which time was the last time this worked) but sometimes I sit in the PASSENGER seat of the car while parked/charging and do some work. Laptop open, etc.

Today, after this update, I was charging, got in the car, into the passenger seat and started to work. AC on, fan on 3, radio playing in the background, all good. In about 5 minutes, everything went to sleep. Main Screen went to the BIG charging screen, and nothing I could do, touch wheel, buttons, stalks, would make it come back to life. I tried a double button reboot -= and it did that, but then went RIGHT back to the big charging screen and nothing on.

If I opened the DOOR, system came back up and radio on, AC on, etc. CLOSE door, ALL OFF Again.

So, I moved the DRIVER side got back in car, sat in seat and everything worked fine, car stayed “on” and AC ran, car was charging, regular screen displayed, radio in background, etc and it stayed that was for 1.5 hours. No shutting off, etc.

So, here is the question. SHOULD this work that way, should someone be able to still sit in the passenger seat and have the car ON in some way or can one somehow TURN IT ON?

Is the seat “occupant” sensor in the passenger seat engaged in this in some fashion? Maybe the link between PASSENGER SEAT OCCUPANCY is broken in this build, or MAYBE my PASSENGER SEAT SENDOR is broken? There should be some visible display of that somewhere, it used to be on screen I think.

What should the expectation be? I’d LIKE TO THINK that one should be able to leave a passenger in the car in the passenger seat and have the car continue to operate, if desired and not basically shut off. When the car was on the BIG CHARGING screen - you know the one I mean, not touching screen, stalks, buttons, even trying to press on brake or gas peddle from the passenger SIDE did anything.
I agree that the passenger should be able to keep the car on. Have you tried pressing down on the driver’s seat? I often need to do that to get the computer to come on when camping in the back. I have never tried this with the charging screen, though.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree with you. If someone is detected in the passenger seat, the car should not go to sleep.

Ze1000

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Interesting that you said that it worked before. My experience is that this was always the behavior.
Sometimes I leave the car while my wife is in the passenger seat, it just shuts down everything and lock the car when I walk away.
I have to leave the door semi shut, so it doesn’t behave that way.
Some time this year my wife decided to stay at the car for a bit and I unlocked it remotely. She sat in the passenger sit for a while and when she decided to leave the alarm went off (no sentry mode at the point in time).

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree that the passenger should be able to keep the car on. Have you tried pressing down on the driver’s seat? I often need to do that to get the computer to come on when camping in the back. I have never tried this with the charging screen, though.
I know this sounds simple, but did you try tapping the screen?
I have the same issue, if the car is plugged in, and I leave the car and close my door, the large charging screen comes up. My wife simply touches the screen and it all goes away back to normal. Albeit only 5mins after I started charging and left the car...

I agree the system should not go to sleep if it detects an unlocked car and a passenger in the seat!