Firmware Build v9.0 2019.20.4.4 edb5360 (7/6/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed it?

• Total voters

sduck

Country
Country
It depends on the situation, this is true. My observation has been that if you are on the HOLD brake mode, then yes, opening the door shifts to park.
if you are not on the HOLD, then it does not shifts to park.
You might want to test this again - I just tested it, and it went into Park whenever I opened the door from whichever drive mode, hold or not.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might want to test this again - I just tested it, and it went into Park whenever I opened the door from whichever drive mode, hold or not.
and you dont even need to have the door open. IE reaching for a parking garage ticket, unbuckling and reaching for the ticket will put the car in park because it is not recognizing someone is sitting in the driver seat. I've had this happen multiple times when rolling up to a ticket dispenser, so not in (H) and door is not open.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I think is worth mentioning about phantom braking: it is a far more terrifying experience for the passenger than for the driver. The passenger is (hopefully) not paying as much attention to the road as the driver. If the car suddenly slams on the brakes, the passenger doesn't know whether that's because the driver saw something and slammed on the brakes, or the car saw something and slammed on the brakes, or it was a phantom. So the passenger thinks, for a split second, that he/she may be about to be in a terrible accident. And then...false alarm. For the driver, if they know there's no hazard, then the sudden stop is more like, say, a flat tire--something unexpected the car does, but not something that makes your life flash before your eyes.

So what's tolerable when you're driving alone may be intolerable if you have a passenger--and that also goes for if you're the passenger and someone else is driving!
100% correct. My wife tends to zone out when she's a passenger (she's an excellent driver and pays better attention than me when behind the wheel) and so as a result , if I swerve, brake, accelerate or do anything abruptly, she gets panicky since she's not generally aware why. This happens in all of our cars, even hers (which must be even more disconcerting when she is in the passenger seat, although I do drive it about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time). I notice a similar phenomenon in my manual trans car where her head bobs back and forth with shifts because she is not anticipating them whereas I remain fairly steady.

So yes, any kind of abrupt maneuver is worse for the passenger.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me, AP on this firmware is very different! (I have HW 2.5 on a RWD M3, basic AP.)

At first, I thought I was getting a lot more phantom braking. Then I thought, no, it's not right to call it phantom braking, because it's not harsh--sort of phantom slowing. Then I realized it wasn't phantoms at all--my M3 was just making a lot more speed adjustments, and they were generally for good reasons. TACC was much more dynamic, apparently reacting, but not generally over-reacting, to all sorts of different cues.

At times, when the car was a little nervous about a car in the lane next to me, for example, or erratic behavior of a car a ways in front or me, it might slow down to 5 mph below the speed limit for a bit. (I usually set TACC at 2 mph over the speed limit.) It certainly seemed to anticipate sharp turns better, slowing down a bit in advance rather than waiting until it was in the turn and then slowing down abruptly. It was better at reacting to cars that crossed lanes in front of me, slowing down while the car was crossing but resuming speed more quickly than used to be the case. If visibility was limited by, say, a crest of a hill, it sometimes slowed down a little until it got to the top of the hill and then resumed.

The overall feel is very different from earlier versions. It will take me a while to get used to it. I'm conditioned by previous versions, when the car starts to slow, to assume it's going to slow a lot and take a while to speed back up again, so all the little changes kind of have me on edge. But I think as I learn to trust it, it might be much better than before.

In fact, I now feel like in many situations TACC is making smarter decisions about speed than I would, which was certainly not the case before.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For me, AP on this firmware is very different! (I have HW 2.5 on a RWD M3, basic AP.)

At first, I thought I was getting a lot more phantom braking. Then I thought, no, it's not right to call it phantom braking, because it's not harsh--sort of phantom slowing. Then I realized it wasn't phantoms at all--my M3 was just making a lot more speed adjustments, and they were generally for good reasons. TACC was much more dynamic, apparently reacting, but not generally over-reacting, to all sorts of different cues.

At times, when the car was a little nervous about a car in the lane next to me, for example, or erratic behavior of a car a ways in front or me, it might slow down to 5 mph below the speed limit for a bit. (I usually set TACC at 2 mph over the speed limit.) It certainly seemed to anticipate sharp turns better, slowing down a bit in advance rather than waiting until it was in the turn and then slowing down abruptly. It was better at reacting to cars that crossed lanes in front of me, slowing down while the car was crossing but resuming speed more quickly than used to be the case. If visibility was limited by, say, a crest of a hill, it sometimes slowed down a little until it got to the top of the hill and then resumed.

The overall feel is very different from earlier versions. It will take me a while to get used to it. I'm conditioned by previous versions, when the car starts to slow, to assume it's going to slow a lot and take a while to speed back up again, so all the little changes kind of have me on edge. But I think as I learn to trust it, it might be much better than before.

In fact, I now feel like in many situations TACC is making smarter decisions about speed than I would, which was certainly not the case before.
A couple of times now, travelling South on i680, just North of the hwy 80 exit, my M3 has gone through some gyrations in speed, slowing down, speeding up again and slowing down again -- between about 75mph and perhaps 55mph. Same place, similar gyrations. There were no vehicles shown on the screen. There is a road parallel to i680, so perhaps it thought the car was on a road with a 55mph limit?

aczeisler

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might have to be in park in order to toggle slip start. That’s probably why it was greyed out earlier.
I have the non performance dual motor and the "Slip Start" option was grayed out in system 2019.20.4.2 as well as 2019.20.4.1 (yes, when the car is parked). Now it's available again (it was available intermittently in previous versions).

sduck

Country
Country
Ok, I'm back from my 7 day road trip. The car behaved absolutely great - EAP and NOA worked great, only small glitches. Like today - I was cruising at 80 on I65 south of Louisville, and had a truck who apparently was also on autopilot, we switched back and forth who was in front several times over the course of maybe half an hour. One time while I was in front, it started slowing down for no apparent reason - I looked down, and the TACC set speed showed as 65 for just a brief second, then went back to 80, but it probably pissed off the truck who was behind me at the time. Probably not much, he just pulled ahead of me and we resumed playing tag.

I did notice what seems like deliberate underestimating of the amount of range available at the start of trips in the navigation planner. For instance, I charged to 90% in Louisville, and the car was estimating that I would arrive home with 11% left. However, when I got home I actually had 19% - that's a pretty big difference! And as mentioned, I was traveling at 80 mph most of the way, with the AC blasting. I saw this during quite a few of the longer drives.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

One behavior which is now completely consistent and I'm pretty sure is new (or new in the last few versions anyway): if I'm on AP, and I signal to change lanes, and the lane I'm trying to change in to has a slower flow of traffic than the one I'm in, then the car gently slows down to match the speed of traffic in the adjacent lane. I don't have EAP or FSD, so it doesn't actually make the lane change, but it certainly facilitates it.

That has the nice side effect that TACC can stay on even when I change lanes in complicated traffic. I've got to disengage AutoSteer to change langes, of course, but I feel like being able to keep TACC on improves safety and ease by quite a bit. In those kinds of lane changes, there can be a lot going on, with people darting out of the slow lane or trying to muscle in to it, cars in the slow lane pausing to let someone in or changing their mind and closing a gap, etc.. With TACC smoothly handling all the necessary speed changes, I can concentrate on maintaining situational awareness and timing the lane change itself.

Also, it's worth noting the sophistication necessary for it to do this. With radar, it's relatively easy for TACC to maintain a fixed distance to the car in front. Somewhat more sophisticated versions smooth that out, so your car isn't over-reacting to small changes by the car ahead. For quite a while now, TACC has also understood that a car changing in to your lane but travelling faster than you is not something that requires the car to slow. But this behavior with the "flow of traffic" in the neighboring lane? In heavy traffic like that, cars are changing speed all the time ("stop and go" or at least "slow and go") and different cars are going at different speeds as gaps open and close. If not well-implemented an attempt to slow the car's speed to match the target lane would be likely to result in jerky, unpredictable, and dangerous speed changes. The fact that it's smooth but matches my notion of the "flow of traffic" speed in the neighboring lane is pretty darn impressive.

Last edited:

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I have found AP and NOA has been better on this from 20.4.2., I was on the highway yesterday and I found that my car was really hugging the lines on straight and curved roads. It was actually a bit shocking. It was so bad that I had to turn it off. I did a reboot of the car thinking that might help a bit but no. Has anyone else experience this on this firmware?

Thanks!

M3ski

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just noticed on this version (may not have noticed on previous versions) that when I'm using AP (on a non-Interstate) AP restricts my speed to be no more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. I don't have that problem when using AP on Interstates. Anyone else experience this situation?

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This was posted on twitter and explains the conditions and also blows my mind on the tap park twice piece (didn't know that).
View attachment 27841
Another condition for it to automatically go in to park on it's own, is sitting in the "hold" position for a long time. This weekend the parking garage took 30+ minutes to get out of and at some point it went to park and I had to shift it back into drive.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This was posted on twitter and explains the conditions and also blows my mind on the tap park twice piece (didn't know that).
There's also an optional setting to unlock all doors on Park, so you can choose whether the doors unlock on the first or second click. I prefer the convenience of the single click for picking up passengers, but others might want the extra security of the second click.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just noticed on this version (may not have noticed on previous versions) that when I'm using AP (on a non-Interstate) AP restricts my speed to be no more than 5 MPH over the speed limit. I don't have that problem when using AP on Interstates. Anyone else experience this situation?
This has been in Autopilot for quite a while. Speed is limited to +5 MPH when on roads that Autopilot judges are not limited access (freeways). This includes portions of highway marked “end freeway” and regular roads. Sometimes at interchanges.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, as was stated, it's just how the system is designed.

Country
Country
After updating to this version my walk away lock is no longer working, even after rebooting system, have to manually lock via the APP now. Have scheduled a service visit with mobile service to check the issue.