Current Firmware Build v9.0 2019.20.4.4 edb5360 (7/6/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed it?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got this version 2019.20.4.4 and everything seems fine. No difference between this and the 2019.20.4.2 that I had earlier that I can tell. AP works fine so does cruise, acceleration seems the same. I did have an issue on the prior version with the KeyFob not working for Summon, pressing the rear button just would open the charge port, and the car would never back up, Summon via the App would work fine. Haven't tested the KeyFob on the latest version yet.
So I tested the KeyFob, it works now, long press on Center, wait for car to go into Summons Mode lights will go on, short press on Rear, car will start to back up, short press on Front, car will move forward, short press in center to stop car.

Last edited:

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI I had to disable sentry mode after several tries where I pressed install in car and walked away failed. When done from app it more planely stated that the update needed sentry mode disabled first. Guess the installer couldnt handle doing that automatically.

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just did a trip on NoA and it was pretty smooth. Noticed the efficiency did significantly better (228wh/mi on a 43mintrip). There was even a portion that had some unexpected construction that it maneuvered really smoothly.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Upgraded from 20.4.2 yesterday and took first long-ish (120 miles) drive today. I get onto the nearly empty Interstate, enabled all the auto-goodies, and less than 5 minutes later experience my first unintended and pretty harsh braking event for no apparent reason. Driver immediately recovered and submitted a bug report. Passenger is jolted, and shares a pithy yet loud short sentence beginning with “WTF” and ending with “disconnect that wretched evil force” accompanied then by a lengthy diatribe of monosyllabic and easily understood epithets about the car, its lineage, its software development team, its cost, its coping ability, its neural net results, and its future in our home. As you may gather, the remaining 115 miles were driven sans automation with no further incident.

At this point, I really don’t care how hard it is, the software has to get to where this just does not happen. And the beta excuse, while real, is wearing very, very thin.

Country
Country
Upgraded from 20.4.2 yesterday and took first long-ish (120 miles) drive today. I get onto the nearly empty Interstate, enabled all the auto-goodies, and less than 5 minutes later experience my first unintended and pretty harsh braking event for no apparent reason. Driver immediately recovered and submitted a bug report. Passenger is jolted, and shares a pithy yet loud short sentence beginning with “WTF” and ending with “disconnect that wretched evil force” accompanied then by a lengthy diatribe of monosyllabic and easily understood epithets about the car, its lineage, its software development team, its cost, its coping ability, its neural net results, and its future in our home. As you may gather, the remaining 115 miles were driven sans automation with no further incident.

At this point, I really don’t care how hard it is, the software has to get to where this just does not happen. And the beta excuse, while real, is wearing very, very thin.
Having the option of regular cruise control would be nice, not TACC.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Seems a little dramatic. This has been happening since I bought my car in July of 2018. It doesn’t happen often but I drive with my foot near or over the accelerator and just press it when the phantom braking occurs.

If AP doesn’t suit your needs, don’t use it.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems a little dramatic. This has been happening since I bought my car in July of 2018. It doesn’t happen often but I drive with my foot near or over the accelerator and just press it when the phantom braking occurs.

If this were a new issue, I would understand the drama comment, but this has been going on since vehicle purchase, so yeah, it has become a source of drama. And I may react to things differently than you. AP does suit some of my needs and I use it. It clearly doesn’t suit my passenger’s desires and when she’s in the car I don’t use it. My point in mentioning this at all was that this issue/problem/annoyance/safety feature/whatever you choose to call it, is still happening and manifest itself very early in my use of the new firmware. What was your point?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

No, that’s about right for many of us. I can no longer use any sort of automation with my wife in the car. One more massive braking event for a shadow, and I think we will be driving her MINI around from now on! They really need to get this sorted, its been a while now.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I think is worth mentioning about phantom braking: it is a far more terrifying experience for the passenger than for the driver. The passenger is (hopefully) not paying as much attention to the road as the driver. If the car suddenly slams on the brakes, the passenger doesn't know whether that's because the driver saw something and slammed on the brakes, or the car saw something and slammed on the brakes, or it was a phantom. So the passenger thinks, for a split second, that he/she may be about to be in a terrible accident. And then...false alarm. For the driver, if they know there's no hazard, then the sudden stop is more like, say, a flat tire--something unexpected the car does, but not something that makes your life flash before your eyes.

So what's tolerable when you're driving alone may be intolerable if you have a passenger--and that also goes for if you're the passenger and someone else is driving!

msjulie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, that’s about right for many of us. I can no longer use any sort of automation with my wife in the car. One more massive braking event for a shadow, and I think we will be driving her MINI around from now on! They really need to get this sorted, its been a while now.
Same except husband..

One thing I think is worth mentioning about phantom braking: it is a far more terrifying experience for the passenger than for the driver. The passenger is (hopefully) not paying as much attention to the road as the driver. If the car suddenly slams on the brakes, the passenger doesn't know whether that's because the driver saw something and slammed on the brakes, or the car saw something and slammed on the brakes, or it was a phantom. So the passenger thinks, for a split second, that he/she may be about to be in a terrible accident. And then...false alarm. For the driver, if they know there's no hazard, then the sudden stop is more like, say, a flat tire--something unexpected the car does, but not something that makes your life flash before your eyes.

So what's tolerable when you're driving alone may be intolerable if you have a passenger--and that also goes for if you're the passenger and someone else is driving!
Yep!

Last edited:

sduck

Country
Country
I just finished day one of a 7 day road trip. I used autopilot most of the time, with NOAP on maybe half of the time. It worked really well, the best it has so far - absolutely no phantom braking, and relatively quick and appropriate lane changes. It's probably saving the phantom braking for tomorrow.

What i did have a problem with was the USB audio - it froze up on me several times. Usually I could just "pause" it and then press play again and it would go, but sometimes i would have to start the track again. And a new quirk - sometimes at the end of an album, when I'd go to pick the next one to play, all the selection tabs on the left would be gone - the only thing I could play was the current folder. No way to restore it, the only way that worked was doing a 2-button reboot. I had to do that maybe 3 times today, while driving.

sduck

Country
Country
Day two, about the same distance as yesterday, probably even more EAP/NOA use. No phantom braking still. Don't worry, I'm not making any more daily updates.

Talked to several people about the car at rest/charging stops. They seemed genuinely curious, not just gawkers like a year ago - these seemed like people who wanted to know if this car would work for them, as they'd been seeing so many of them. Talked a lot about range and charging, and the fact that I was on a multi day road trip, and that this was the fourth one I've taken, seemed to be impressive.

It seems my usb audio problem was a poorly seated USB C connection - I pulled the drive out, to see if there was some kind of problem, and found out that the USB C <> USB A adaptor that came with my Sandisk ssd is keyed on the C side, which makes no sense as that's one of the big benefits of USB C, that it can go in either way and work. Well, not if the adaptor is keyed so that it doesn't really go in all the way if you have it the wrong way. Now I know.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Except the issue is a non-issue - the car still goes into park when the door is opened.
Since this update, the car is no longer returns to the parking position when the driver opens his door.
Can someone confirm? Please answer with your software version.
For Jobine, this is apparently not a non-issue!

Jobine asked whether this was a change with firmware, or a problem with Jobine's specific car. It appears to be a problem with Jobine's specific car. It sounds like Jobine should therefore contact Tesla service.