Current Firmware Build V9.0 2019.20.4.2 66625e9 (6/25/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install 2019.20.4.2?

• Total voters

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now have 2019.20.4.2 in my Model 3, and I still have the dancing/spinning cars when stopped. I presume the display is showing what my car "thinks" the other cars are actually doing around it. This causes me sincere doubt about the jump to FSD if Tesla cannot even get what cars that are not moving are actually doing. Oddly, the dancing/spinning is most pronounced when the car is stopped; the dancing/spinning is much less when the car is in motion.
For us the dancing got continually better until orientation tracking was added then it got considerably worse again. But recent versions have gotten better. In 20.4.2 it tends to follow a consistent pattern. When everyone is stopped, there is still a certain amount of jitter, but iff we are stopped and cars are going by, the icons are pretty steady until they get a certain distance away, and then start spinning. Presumably the resolution of the visual or radar image is not good enough to track orientation at that point. The FW3 will allow much higher resolution and frame rates, which should solve this, if they don't manage to do it with FW2.5.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My question is how is the camera interpreting a bunch of flower pots as a large truck? I suspect this is because it is relying on the radar rather than just doing image processing. If it is only doing image processing, the NN has a long way to go.
Would you expect it to show a bunch of flower pots?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s basic polygon detection; they have coordinates for various vehicles. That entire wall is most likely around the same size of a truck. Keep in mind the visuals are just fun, the AP relies on radar as primary, OCR (image) as secondary so you don’t play bumper cars on the road. Ever notice the camera will show cars floating on highway in lanes; yet the Tesla will still drive? That is the radar, the cameras primary intent at this time is seeing lanes, and cars to your side when auto lane changing.

The cars dance on the display because when stationary the MCU is trying to determine what type of vehicle. When moving the car easily can determine what is the front (it knows based on the lanes and motion). I would assume in an update they will simply have the car display vehicles in your last know direction prior to stopping. It’s actually a pretty difficult challenge and probably not a high priority as it’s simply eye candy. I somewhat wish they would just disable the cars when stationary until fixed and only show humans/motorcycles/bikes as that is helpful. I can see the car next to me.

Last edited:

kuzzy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As promised I put together a little video (apologies for the poor editing chops, first time Final Cut Pro user here) showing the issues I mentioned above along with the workaround I discovered Thursday afternoon. I will be submitting this as a bug to Tesla and including my local service center who told me to do so they can help route internally.

Cheers,

Dan
Did you try and delete the locations and then add them back as favorites again? I noticed on the 2nd trip that the nav system had you returning(?) on what looks like the opposite side of the highway. The coordinates of your favorites might have been corrupted during an update, I would see what happens if you reenter the locations if you have not already tried that.

gryghst72

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I have not seen any Classic Tesla posts about the update:

Just updated to 4.2 on a Classic Sig P85. Besides the new quick menu buttons and phone app receiving Climate On/Dog Mode warnings, the Release Notes (in tiny print) mention minor improvements and bug fixes. Since my No AP car cannot use any of the AP updates or any of the new game updates (may even apply to AP 1.0 cars), why was it so important the classics get updated at all? We should be made aware of the improvements that were implemented. If there were Battery Mgmt or other generic improvements that benefit all cars, let us know, how hard is that?

I would also prefer the update process let me see the next version's release notes before being downloaded. I'm in the aviation software engineering business and we have to divulge every bug fix and improvement to the government and the customer. When people's lives are stake, I see no reason the government should not require Tesla to do the same. It would most certainly help speed up the regulatory hurdle they have to overcome for Level 4/5 autonomy. And I call BS on IP and Proprietary Info when the wording could be at such a high level as to not give away the algorithms or the logic used.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does anyone else have the issue where Sentry mode is engaged at locations where you have said NOT to engage.. like the HOME location? I just realized it was on SENTRY today at home, maybe why it was draining faster than usual.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone else have the issue where Sentry mode is engaged at locations where you have said NOT to engage.. like the HOME location? I just realized it was on SENTRY today at home, maybe why it was draining faster than usual.
I've had this happen when my battery was below 20%. It would say "Sentry mode deactivated due to battery under 20%". Then while charging, once the battery goes above 20%, sentry mode will activate. But if battery is above 20% to begin with, then sentry mode remains off for me. Strange bug.

EDIT - yep, just happened again this morning. Battery was at 19% when I arrived at work and plugged in. I noticed a notification on the Tesla app that Sentry mode was deactivated (even though it always should be at work). When I opened the app, it had charged to 21%, and showed Sentry Mode as being active.

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a lovely experience with 20.4.2 the other day... Picked up my 85 y.o. mother from the hospital. She had trouble with high blood pressure after they changed her BP meds after being hospitalized for an irregular heart beat. (So two hospital visits, each a couple days and 5 days apart.) So she finally was going to get home in style and I was driving.

It had just finished raining and while on Interstate, I stupidly decided to show her what a Tesla can do. (She drives a '98 Buick and has a flip phone.) So turned on NoAp while in the left lane. In a fashion similar to "Hey you all, watch this, hold my beer", I announced, "now watch it change lanes" and sure enough, it signaled it's intent, then while half-way into the right lane, it panicked (maybe because the center of the road was wet?) and quickly moved back into the left lane. Then two seconds later it tried again and again failed. So poor Mom, recently cleared of having a heart attack, was about to have her first with me behind the wheel. Not to be outdone, later with just AP active, I stupidly decided to undo my seatbelt to get a pill out of my pocket and alarms went off (Take over immediately) and it wouldn't quit until I turned off AP. Needless to say, I was about to hang it up and let everyone walk home.

Last edited:

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you try and delete the locations and then add them back as favorites again? I noticed on the 2nd trip that the nav system had you returning(?) on what looks like the opposite side of the highway. The coordinates of your favorites might have been corrupted during an update, I would see what happens if you reenter the locations if you have not already tried that.
I just sent an email over to Tesla and the local service center (they said they'd route internally to the AP team) however now that my car as 20.4.4 I am going to try to reproduce the issue again (before deleting the favorites). Once I hear back from Tesla I will mention that to them to see if that'll fix the issue (would make sense if something got corrupted as you say).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like not the ideal place to be using autopilot. Is there some reason you can't drive it yourself on roads like this?
Some people like to test it out in unsupported conditions.
As long as people realize it's not supported, that they'll be responsible for any accidents that occur, and are ready to take over if it makes a catastrophically wrong decision, then have fun. :)

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like not the ideal place to be using autopilot. Is there some reason you can't drive it yourself on roads like this?
We could also drive ourselves on divided limit-access highways, so that aspect doesn't seem terribly relevant.

In terms of safety, I'd feel perfectly comfortable experimenting with AP on the roads shown. At 25 mph, I'm not worried about it steering me in to a parked car faster than I can override it. There's little to no oncoming traffic, and no one driving close behind. There certainly is a risk of a pedestrian or animal darting out in to the street, but I could hit the brakes just as fast on AP as I could if I was driving.

No, AP isn't gaining you much in terms of convenience in that kind of situation at this point. But I do like to experiment in safe unsupported cases like this, because it helps me understand its behavior in more dangerous but more useful circumstances (e.g. construction zones with moderate traffic).

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As long as people realize it's not supported, that they'll be responsible for any accidents that occur, and are ready to take over if it makes a catastrophically wrong decision, then have fun. :)
Since AP has never been out of ßeta, it's *always* the drivers' responsibility to maintain safety of the vehicle, No? While it's still ßeta-ware on highways (everywhere) too.

The above "test" shows that AP does NOT need painted lines to determine where its going to position the car. It appears to measure a distance reference off the hard curb on the right. And when that curb goes away (end of first video), it gives up or [appears to] panic(s). The"give up" issues must be addressed before [real] FSD is possible. I have also tested the same road with coming/opposing traffic. It surprised me and did remarkably well - didn't have the camera on then

What is still curious is where there are two painted lane markers (typical multi-lane roadway) and one of the painted lines goes away (turn lanes, road curves, etc. ), AP often times gets it entirely wrong on where to go - and can do it rather violently. Instead of keeping the same distance from the one side lane paint markings.

It is getting better crossing wide intersections where no lane lines are painted. But it's still like a 13yo learning driver. Requiring CONSTANT supervision.

Last edited:

sduck

Country
Country
Yes, of course. There have been plenty of discussions about all this. However, there's a very fine line between "I wanted to see if it works/I'm doing it for science/helping to train the neural net" and "hold my beer and watch this!". As long as you're aware of this distinction, fine. But don't blame autopilot if something goes horribly wrong!

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The above "test" shows that AP does NOT need painted lines to determine where its going to position the car. It appears to measure a distance reference off the hard curb on the right.
I agree. I know having a curb on one side is not enough for it to allow you to turn it on in all cases but it seems like it tries to do its best once it's on. Based on my experience I'm a little surprised it allowed them to turn it on there but in both cases, the autopilot is already on so maybe the conditions were different when it was turned on.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
(This was from 20.4.4, so slightly different point version.)

I found this interesting tday. Back on Autonomy Day, Elon showed off how the neural net will predict the way a roadway is going to curve. Most of the time, the projection showed on the display isn't far enough ahead for me to notice if our HW 2.5 cars are actually doing that or if it's just the demo they were showing. But this photo I took today shows that HW 2.5 cars do project ahead, because in this case it gets it wrong. AP thinks the road ahead makes a gentle curve, when actually it's just a regular right-angle intersection. I can kind of see why it thinks that; the rounded corner of the grassy area on the near side combines with some confusing visual cues across the street to make it look a little like that's what happens. But to a human, there are plenty of cues that it's a right-angle intersection, such as the orientation stop lights.
IMG_0005.JPG