Firmware Build V9.0 2019.20.4.2 66625e9 (6/25/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install 2019.20.4.2?

• Total voters

sduck

Country
Country
Headlights that move with your steering (ie: turn to point where you are going) have been around for many years, my 2018 XC60 has them and they were an option for my 2004 V70

Unless I misunderstood what is being said here.
Yes, it's not new technology. I think Citroen had the first version that worked, but it may have predated that. But unless the rules have changed, it's not allowed in the US, at least on domestically made vehicles.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, it's not new technology. I think Citroen had the first version that worked, but it may have predated that. But unless the rules have changed, it's not allowed in the US, at least on domestically made vehicles.
Tucker had this as well, though I don’t remember if was for all 3 headlights.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not much on my end. Beach Buggy 2 is MIA given I don't have the new Intel-based MCU in my Model X. That went into production about 4 months after I got my car.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of my driving is done on a rural two lane highway and I have given up using TACC when my wife is in the car with me. Yesterday when driving into town there is a 4.3 mile stretch before turning off the highway. I had 3 phantom braking events in light traffic that would have freaked her out had she been with me. My hope and unrealistic expectation had been that there was a learning process taking place - but I no longer believe that to be the case. Last time we were together on the interstate in light traffic I had a phantom braking event that alarmed her and she yelled and asked me what I was doing. She has been with me when the loud alarm has sounded when safely driving in the middle of the lane. It’s a good thing that I love driving this car.
I get the same reaction from my wife. Driving with TACC on at 70mph with no traffic in front or in back, and suddenly the car brakes quite aggressively. With the loud alarm and sudden deceleration, she is really freaking out. For this reason, I will not use it unless alone in the car AND I will not use it if there is anyone behind me. Too risky. My Fusion Energi had a version of TACC that did not exhibit any of this. I'm not sure how it sensed the distance of the car in front, but I think it was just using the camera and the change in the size of the image. I don't think they had forward radar.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife's Volvo XC60 has headlights that turn with the steering wheel. It's quite useful. We are in metro Atlanta and purchased the car in South Carolina. So it's definitely permitted here.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you! I thought I had lost my power of observation. I know it starts to get colored when you get closer to an object. The other day I was in a highway at 50 mph when a car got close during a curve, it went from light gray all way up to red.
What I don't know is when this has changed ... It makes sense if it was changed when the new visualization mode came along.
that is the lane departure warning you are seeing, not the ultrasonic arches.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I confirmed today my issues with NoAP which started in the 2019.20.1 release (where it was making constant back & forth lane changes, missing exits, etc) only occur when I navigate to one of my favorites. As soon as I manually enter an address or search for a nearby destination I have 0 issues with NoAP. I recorded some GoPro footage that I will upload later to show it failing & working as planned using my “workaround”.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is allowed, domestic vehicle or imported, and has been for some time.

What is not allowed, is certain level of "beam shaping" which is now being done with multi-element LED (and laser) lights. BMW, Audi, Mercedes and others have lights where the pattern is made up of dozens of LED's. Mercedes uses 84 and I think they have a new one with 102. They are able to individually turn on and off the LED's to create "holes" in the full light pattern to run high beams but create a cone of "low beam" where oncoming traffic would be, or to avoid too much reflection off an overhead sign. Quite trick technology but sadly not allowed in the US yet, because you know, NHTSA knows what's best! :rolleyes:

My wife's Volvo XC60 has headlights that turn with the steering wheel. It's quite useful. We are in metro Atlanta and purchased the car in South Carolina. So it's definitely permitted here.
Yup, I've had them since 2011 on a BMW I owned. On my 2017 GTI, I could select how aggressively I wanted the lights to turn, which was quite cool.

barjohn

Country
Country
A friend of mine's 2018 Model S on the latest software (this one) has had issues with the backup camera for a number of releases. In the prior releases, she had to reboot to get the backup camera to work (it would stay black) but with this version of the firmware it does come up but now will suddenly start flickering with a pink band at the bottom. See the attached video. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you get it resolved? (Don't see a way to post MOV clips here so link to a dropbox folder with the clip)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn6a2ld7chg5jc9/IMG_0162.mov?dl=0

WMB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is anyone else still getting those "dancing cars" when stopped at a light? It's not a huge deal but every car shown on the display is basically moving and spinning/dancing.
Is anyone else still getting those "dancing cars" when stopped at a light? It's not a huge deal but every car shown on the display is basically moving and spinning/dancing.
I now have 2019.20.4.2 in my Model 3, and I still have the dancing/spinning cars when stopped. I presume the display is showing what my car "thinks" the other cars are actually doing around it. This causes me sincere doubt about the jump to FSD if Tesla cannot even get what cars that are not moving are actually doing. Oddly, the dancing/spinning is most pronounced when the car is stopped; the dancing/spinning is much less when the car is in motion.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now have 2019.20.4.2 in my Model 3, and I still have the dancing/spinning cars when stopped. I presume the display is showing what my car "thinks" the other cars are actually doing around it. This causes me sincere doubt about the jump to FSD if Tesla cannot even get what cars that are not moving are actually doing. Oddly, the dancing/spinning is most pronounced when the car is stopped; the dancing/spinning is much less when the car is in motion.
It makes sense that it's easier to figure out which way a car is pointing when it's moving, because the movement of the car itself is a huge clue (most of the time; it's moving in the direction it's pointing).

I'm not sure to what extent the core of the driver assist/self-driving software even knows or cares which side of a car is which; it mainly needs to know where the car is and where it's going. Only in somewhat unusual "corner cases" does it matter which side of a car is facing you.

So I'd guess the internal representation of the cars at a stop is "stationary car." There's then some extra piece of software which is trying to present that in a pleasing and easy-to-interpret form on the display. That's the part that is having trouble, but I'm not sure that's all that relevant to FSD.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I confirmed today my issues with NoAP which started in the 2019.20.1 release (where it was making constant back & forth lane changes, missing exits, etc) only occur when I navigate to one of my favorites. As soon as I manually enter an address or search for a nearby destination I have 0 issues with NoAP. I recorded some GoPro footage that I will upload later to show it failing & working as planned using my “workaround”.
As promised I put together a little video (apologies for the poor editing chops, first time Final Cut Pro user here) showing the issues I mentioned above along with the workaround I discovered Thursday afternoon. I will be submitting this as a bug to Tesla and including my local service center who told me to do so they can help route internally.

Cheers,

Dan

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quite trick technology but sadly not allowed in the US yet, because you know, NHTSA knows what's best! :rolleyes:
Some people criticize the government for reviewing stuff for safety and some people criticize the government for having allowed the release of unsafe stuff without formal review. I'd rather err on the safe side.

Last edited:

barjohn

Country
Country
I thought you might get a chuckle out of this. I pulled into a parking spot at the drug store and I was shocked to see that a big truck was directly in front of me. See attached photos: (Maybe why we have phantom braking)

IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a big truck (the door) in front of me when I'm inline at the car wash. Often have a lone person or motorcycle in front or behind me, when the door opens too.

Last edited:

barjohn

Country
Country
My question is how is the camera interpreting a bunch of flower pots as a large truck? I suspect this is because it is relying on the radar rather than just doing image processing. If it is only doing image processing, the NN has a long way to go.