Firmware Build v9.0 2019.20.2.1 5659e07 (6/17/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install 2019.20.2.1?

• Total voters

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 90% is, well, 90%. ;)
Funny but you're right. With my ICE car, when the needle is at Full, all I know is that the tank is full. The actual range that I get will vary depending of the type of driving. Same thing applies to Tesla's. The idea that we're not accessing the full battery capacity is bonker. In fact I read that the battery size might be slightly larger than 75 kw, possibly around 78-80 kw, which may explain a low degradation (loss) of 2 miles per 10,000 driven miles (10% over 160,000 miles).

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I use NoAP in construction zone I often get a warning on the screen saying features will be limited due to construction... I don't think it shuts down though. I'm not sure how the software determines it's in a construction zone.
For the return trip, unlike the morning trip, AP noticed the cone zone and disabled NoAP until I left that area.

Also noticed the dark theme was too dark. If I disabled "dark", then re-enabled it. Initially it was good, then would get progressively darker, like a runaway process. Two thumb reboot while driving did not help.

Also noticed that NoAP at night is MUCH different than during the day with changing into the faster lane happening much sooner than needed and merging back into the slow lane uncomfortably soon. One semi driver flashed his lights at me when I merged back.

NoAP was briefly disabled due to rain, but that meant that only the automagic lane changes quit. It still changed manually when I signaled a lane change. I was impressed by it's performance in the rain and when it turned dark. My 4 hour return trip in rush hour traffic and rain was much easier due to AP!

On a completely unrelated note, while driving on NoAP, with intermittent rain and in darkness, I was in the left lane passing a vehicle, with a huge pickup on my butt and suddenly noticed a deer in my lane about 20ft ahead. Lucky for me he decided to move to the right, hopefully missing the vehicle I was passing. Probably because my brights were not on, AP hadn't reacted yet to the deer and I took control and steered back into the right lane. Had I not intervened, I would have still missed the deer. Since I had used Sentry earlier that day, my drive was full and the camera button was not available to capture the deer-in-the headlights video that would have been so cool! :rolleyes:

Now need to repartition to use the entire 238 gb for TeslaCam, instead of the 32 gb that keeps Windows happy.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also noticed the dark theme was too dark. If I disabled "dark", then re-enabled it. Initially it was good, then would get progressively darker, like a runaway process. Two thumb reboot while driving did not help.
there are comments further up in the thread with how to deal with this and have it set a minimum level:
go into the display menu, move the mode to night (assuming you have it on auto), then with auto on the dimming slider, move the slider up to where you like it. Move the mode switch back to auto and it should bottom out at your newly set level (for that lighting condition), and adapt to other lighting conditions relative to your setting.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EDIT TO ADD: On a whim, I tried shining a flashlight on the interior camera, as well as covering it up, to see whether it had any impact on the auto-brightness calibration, but it did not seem to have any effect.
Thanks for trying this. I keep my interior camera covered while driving and it's good to know that it won't affect the brightness.

This is a common complaint, but I don't think it's an either/or. I agree that the games should be a fairly low priority, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the individual(s) responsible for porting games to the firmware could simply be reassigned to another firmware-related task.
Another possibility here is that they use the more "frivolous" features as training exercises for their new team members. It's possible that they hired a number of folks with gaming experience and had them apply that in order to get them used to Tesla's operating system, software development processes, and code control systems. That's especially important for software developers who have never worked on automotive systems before -- they have a lot to learn when moving from PC or smartphone based games into a computer-on-wheels where bad software decisions could kill someone.

What would you prefer to have them learn with -- a game system, or something related to navigation?

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t recall if this was happening before, but I’ve noticed on roads with unmarked lanes, the car seems to be tracking a lane on the right side of the road rather than considering the entire road to be one lane.

Oh, a funny thing happened yesterday evening. Autopilot provided corrective steering to keep me safe from grass hanging over the edge of the road.
Since install of 20.2.1 (from 16.2, iirc) I've noticed that AP wiggles (left/right/left/right shuffle) excessively when going through short intersections with no painted lane lines. Didn't do that in 16.2 on same roads. Makes me dizzy how it constantly wanders in the lane like it can't find center.

MJJ

After a week's experience with 20.2.1, I feel like some features have degraded. I was very happy with v. 16, and was gaining confidence with its ability to merge into faster moving traffic. It was a very well behaved version.

Since upgrading to 20, I've noticed a return to the aborted lane changing. Couple this with its new willingness to merge into small spaces, and you have the opportunity for some hair raising incidents.

Another annoying and I think new behavior is the need to immediately change lanes into the faster lane because of a brief slowdown due to exiting traffic. It's not new at all that the car will slow to the exiting car's speed while maintaining a VERY large following distance, and hold that position until the exiting car is VERY FAR off the through lane (odd given the car's willingness to snuggle up very close to get into faster moving traffic, or perform a zipper merge). But it is new, I think, that when following an exiting vehicle, the car will slow way down, allow the exiting car to get well onto the offramp, THEN decide it's imperative to get into the faster lane.

Surely it would not be difficult to add a 5 second delay? I feel like the car can accurately detect on- and off-ramps, as well as converging or diverging traffic flows, so in that case, I think it should postpone any lane changing decisions until the hot spot has passed by.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buggiest update ever for me. Wish I hadn’t updated. No new/useful features, and I can find anything that works better than before. Things that are now broken include:

-Lane Change on Autopilot now only works about 50% of the time. I can be the only car on the road, on a highway that had lines repainted last week, and it won’t change lanes when I signal. Used to work perfectly, even when lane lines were faded.

-LTE/data connection taking a long time to connect, or fails to connect entirely without a reboot of the system.

Please Tesla... beta test these updates better before widespread release. The fact they are releasing several variations of each update should tell us something.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After a week's experience with 20.2.1, I feel like some features have degraded. I was very happy with v. 16, and was gaining confidence with its ability to merge into faster moving traffic. It was a very well behaved version.

Since upgrading to 20, I've noticed a return to the aborted lane changing. Couple this with its new willingness to merge into small spaces, and you have the opportunity for some hair raising incidents.

Another annoying and I think new behavior is the need to immediately change lanes into the faster lane because of a brief slowdown due to exiting traffic. It's not new at all that the car will slow to the exiting car's speed while maintaining a VERY large following distance, and hold that position until the exiting car is VERY FAR off the through lane (odd given the car's willingness to snuggle up very close to get into faster moving traffic, or perform a zipper merge). But it is new, I think, that when following an exiting vehicle, the car will slow way down, allow the exiting car to get well onto the offramp, THEN decide it's imperative to get into the faster lane.

Surely it would not be difficult to add a 5 second delay? I feel like the car can accurately detect on- and off-ramps, as well as converging or diverging traffic flows, so in that case, I think it should postpone any lane changing decisions until the hot spot has passed by.
For me this update has been the best ever. Homelink works all the time AP and Nav on AP works better. Most stable yet for me. YMMV.

Country
Country
Yes I still have dancing cars when stopped at a red light for example.
I may be completely wrong but I believe this is related to the limited sampling rate of pre HW3 hardware. I believe I heard 8 FPS but not sure. That should settle down when specific HW3 firmware is released.

Again, total speculation.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After a week's experience with 20.2.1, I feel like some features have degraded.
A week? First known install of 2019.20.2.1 was Monday. Are you just referring to most of a work week, or are you possibly talking about a different version?

MJJ

A week? First known install of 2019.20.2.1 was Monday. Are you just referring to most of a work week, or are you possibly talking about a different version?
Hah. Just checking to see if you're paying attention.

I'm actually talking more generally about the "20's" vs. the "16's" so you are correct, I got 2.1 on Tuesday. I've had a 20. of some sort since June 8.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Funny but you're right. With my ICE car, when the needle is at Full, all I know is that the tank is full. The actual range that I get will vary depending of the type of driving. Same thing applies to Tesla's. The idea that we're not accessing the full battery capacity is bonker. In fact I read that the battery size might be slightly larger than 75 kw, possibly around 78-80 kw, which may explain a low degradation (loss) of 2 miles per 10,000 driven miles (10% over 160,000 miles).
I've used the energy gauge setting since the beginning and treated it like a fuel gauge.

I've checked what 100% supposidly equates to, three times.

Once when the car was three weeks old and I was preparing for my first long distance drive, once six months later and once after the upgrade to a theoretical 523 kms of range at 100%.

A normal week for me is to fuel up to 90% and then once I'm under 40%, plug it in again.....this usually gives me fiive days of driving.

All single leg trips the matter to me (round trip to YYZ, one way trip to my brothers via my parents house, one waytrip to inlaws) happen within the 100% of a single tank of fuel.

If/when that is no longer the case, I'll see what 100% equates to.

Since the warrenty states 70% of range after eight years or 196,000 kms, I think I'll be fine staying on %.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buggiest update ever for me. Wish I hadn’t updated. No new/useful features, and I can find anything that works better than before. Things that are now broken include:

-Lane Change on Autopilot now only works about 50% of the time. I can be the only car on the road, on a highway that had lines repainted last week, and it won’t change lanes when I signal. Used to work perfectly, even when lane lines were faded.

-LTE/data connection taking a long time to connect, or fails to connect entirely without a reboot of the system.

Please Tesla... beta test these updates better before widespread release. The fact they are releasing several variations of each update should tell us something.
I’ve noticed this behavior in several of the previous updates—though cellular connection does periodically return quickly when service is first available. I think 2 versions ago was the worst for me (2019.12.1.x?)

Since install of 20.2.1 (from 16.2, iirc) I've noticed that AP wiggles (left/right/left/right shuffle) excessively when going through short intersections with no painted lane lines. Didn't do that in 16.2 on same roads. Makes me dizzy how it constantly wanders in the lane like it can't find center.
Ugh. That’s the worst. I had some of that with lane merges in some places. Just for clarity, I was not in AP during my no lane line lane tracking experience I mentioned before.

N54tt

Country
Country
Except in an ice car, a full tank will always give you 16gallons (whatever your tank capacity is)....that will never change. With the Tesla 100% wont always indicate 75kw (or whatever the real capacity is). 100% will eventually be less than 75kw.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Except in you ice car, full will always indicate 16gallons (whatever your tank capacity is)....that will never change.
The *tank* will always carry 16 gallons if you fill it all the way to the top. But the gas gauge will show full at anywhere from 14-16 gallons.
They tend not to be very accurate gauges.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Except in you ice car, full will always indicate 16gallons (whatever your tank capacity is)....that will never change. With the Tesla 100% wont always indicate 75kw (or whatever the real capacity is). 100% will eventually be less than 75kw.
ICE vehicles get less efficient over time due to wear and tear of the engine (greater energy loss to heat/friction). So that same 16 gallons won't get you the same mileage as it does when new. A Tesla on the other hand may lose battery capacity, but what kW I put into it will always be available to me.

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NoA is basically useless in this release and somehow got worse than 20.1 for me. Constant “following route” lane hopping with nobody in front of me, recommendeding lane changes that do NOT follow the route, missing exits, etc. Very frustrating because the auto lane changes are much quicker in this build and the rest of the system seems pretty stable.

Updates: For what it’s worth I opened a case with Tesla on this however I’m sure they are already aware.

Last edited:

PaulK

Country
Country
go into the display menu, move the mode to night (assuming you have it on auto), then with auto on the dimming slider, move the slider up to where you like it. Move the mode switch back to auto and it should bottom out at your newly set level (for that lighting condition), and adapt to other lighting conditions relative to your setting.
Thank you.

Why doesn’t Tesla include details like this in the release notes, or at least reference an updated page of the user manual?

We are “in the know”, thanks to you... but there are thousands of other owners who don’t read this thread... and are driving around with dim displays at night, or repeatedly adjusting the brightness every night - and in either case they are probably frustrated and (when combined with other things) may talk poorly about their car, harming the brand.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
after now charging 2x on this FW, can also report my rated range has not returned to its pre-2019.8.x levels and still is sitting at 297 :(
I was having some lost range too and recharged to 100% 4x and got back all my range and some more, now I charge to 90% in a regular bases and have not lost much percentage. What I hear is the software recalibrates to your usage and charging max as the new max. You are not losing the range, it's just hidden until you recharge to 100% a few times. Please try it and give us your feedback.