Firmware Build v9.0 2019.20.2.1 5659e07 (6/17/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Did you install 2019.20.2.1?

• Total voters

3LECTRIC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just updated to 2019.20.2.1 in Toronto, Canada. Display Brightness and Dog Mode Improvement. It mentions improvement in Auto brightness but I found it way too dark when I was checking Release Notes in my underground parking garage. Manually increased the brightness similar to what it was like before. No Smart Summon yet :(

img_3666-jpg.26961

img_3667-jpg.26962

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just updated to 2019.20.2.1 in Toronto, Canada. Display Brightness and Dog Mode Improvement. It mentions improvement in Auto brightness but I found it way too dark when I was checking Release Notes in my underground parking garage. Manually increased the brightness similar to what it was like before. No Smart Summon yet :(

View attachment 26961

View attachment 26962
Same here in the states. Very minor update from what I can tell.

sduck

Country
Country
Got this tonight. Despite all the hoopla about new games getting pushed out TODAY!!! they weren't in this. What i did get was a nearly unreadable screen. The new "better tuned" display brightness settings caused it to be nearly invisible. And when I tried to adjust it back to where it used to be it wouldn't stick. Ack. Maybe I'll get used to it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got this tonight. Despite all the hoopla about new games getting pushed out TODAY!!! they weren't in this. What i did get was a nearly unreadable screen. The new "better tuned" display brightness settings caused it to be nearly invisible. And when I tried to adjust it back to where it used to be it wouldn't stick. Ack. Maybe I'll get used to it.
this is what I've found with the new auto dim setting...

move the Display Mode switch to Night and slide the Brightness level (while it is on auto) to where you like. I went with 21%. Then do the same for the Day under Display Mode - mine at 5%.
When you move Display Mode back to Auto, it will automatically switch it back to day or night mode based on the time of day, but will hold the brightness %. At least in the indoor garage testing, the % I set stayed when all was back to auto - not sure if it records these settings just for the current light levels it is seeing, or if it will hold them under any light level. will look at the settings after driving to work and see what they look like then.
as for the new games, this release started rolling out the day before the games release tweet came out - so wasn't expecting it. There was a rumor it was on something like release 2019.20.4, but haven't seen anything come up on that yet.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was disappointed to NOT see the new game in this release. I too experienced the bizarre WAY too dark screen and had to adjust it.

On the plus side, initial testing would seem to indicate that the rendered dancing cars which was REALLY bad with 20.1 has improved dramatically.

It's fairly obvious that the number of resources assigned to this work is far below the level that would allow the continuous stream of new features and bug remediation to occur simultaneously. I for one would prefer priority be given to fixing bugs. Although I do want to race a buggy ASAP too. :)

ChrisHH

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am so sick of games. Tesla needs to get their priorities in order.

We need a complete solution for blue tooth audio, so that we do not have to resort to our phones to change play lists, artists, and more. Like nearly every car made today offers. It is illegal in my state to use my phone while the car is on except as hands free. This is the first car I have had in nine years that did not have this ability. We have this big display, use it.

Plus, where are all the voice commands we were promised? My parent's 2010 Fusion apparently has more, a new Corolla might as well be college educated versus our kindergarten TM3s.

Sadly if Tesla keeps messing around I just won't stick with the brand, Tesla is the only real game in town now but in a few short years they are going to have some serious difficulty when other brands step up

Last edited by a moderator:

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

We need a complete solution for blue tooth audio, so that we do not have to resort to our phones to change play lists, artists, and more. Like nearly every car made today offers. It is illegal in my state to use my phone while the car is on except as hands free. This is the first car I have had in nine years that did not have this ability. We have this big display, use it.

Plus, where are all the voice commands we were promised? My parent's 2010 Fusion apparently has more, a new Corolla might as well be college educated versus our kindergarten TM3s.

Sadly if Tesla keeps messing around I just won't stick with the brand, Tesla is the only real game in town now but in a few short years they are going to have some serious difficulty when other brands step up
In a few short years, Tesla will have the current shortcomings figured out, and will have moved on to new and different improvements that will, for a time, have shortcomings of their own.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just downloaded 20.2.1 up from 16.2. I know I've seen this answered before but can't find it and can't remember so forgive me. When you aren't offered, or choose to skip, an update then your next update includes all previous improvements/changes/bug fixes, right?

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got this update. It's my third update in less than 4 weeks. Not sure how I got on this fast train.

Maybe this will fix my lack of BSM chime? I get the red lines, but no chime. It stopped at 2019.16.2 when ELDA rolled out. I think.
SC has been communicating with me on it and has been elevating it so maybe that's why all the updates?

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah!!!

We need a complete solution for blue tooth audio, so that we do not have to resort to our phones to change play lists, artists, and more.
Oh.
I guess we don't all have the same priorities. Perhaps that's a bigger challenge for Tesla than we realize. Audio/phone/entertainment improvements are just a notch above games in my book. My priorities happen to be manual wiper controls, smoother autopilot, and fewer random bugs.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just downloaded 20.2.1 up from 16.2. I know I've seen this answered before but can't find it and can't remember so forgive me. When you aren't offered, or choose to skip, an update then your next update includes all previous improvements/changes/bug fixes, right?
Right. 2019.20.2.1 contains the exact same feature set regardless of which version you upgraded from. You don't miss out by skipping an update.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah!!!

Oh.
I guess we don't all have the same priorities. Perhaps that's a bigger challenge for Tesla than we realize. Audio/phone/entertainment improvements are just a notch above games in my book. My priorities happen to be manual wiper controls, smoother autopilot, and fewer random bugs.
I think you've hit the nail on the head @Long Ranger . There are now 100's of thousands of us owners worldwide who all have an opinion of what is most vitally important for Tesla to improve/correct. Likely no two opinions are identical. And the target(s) for improvement continue to morph with each new update. How in hell is Tesla to be expected to make the right improvements to satisfy all of us. They have to prioritize, and their list probably bears little resemblance to mine. This is a new problem in the automotive world because, in the past, what you bought was what you got...period. This brave new world requires a certain amount of trust and patience from us consumers.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is what I've found with the new auto dim setting...

move the Display Mode switch to Night and slide the Brightness level (while it is on auto) to where you like. I went with 21%. Then do the same for the Day under Display Mode - mine at 5%.
When you move Display Mode back to Auto, it will automatically switch it back to day or night mode based on the time of day, but will hold the brightness %
Hmmmm... I can't tell whether this trick causes the override to persist when the mode changes.

I can override the display brightness as needed on the current mode without issue, but as soon as the display switches to the other mode, it seems to revert to a default value (5% for day, 30% for night). Also, when the display changes mode on its own, it seems to seek what it thinks is the "optimum" brightness, ignoring your override. (At least that's what mine did when it flipped from Day to Night a moment ago.)

My car and I strongly disagree about the ideal brightness level for night mode -- I prefer 30-35%, but left to its own devices, it settles on 12%, which is virtually illegible to my eyes... It was bad enough to warrant a bug report. I'll give it a few days to see if it improves, but I may have to disable auto brightness (while leaving auto mode on) for this firmware.

EDIT TO ADD: On a whim, I tried shining a flashlight on the interior camera, as well as covering it up, to see whether it had any impact on the auto-brightness calibration, but it did not seem to have any effect.

Last edited:

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you've hit the nail on the head @Long Ranger . There are now 100's of thousands of us owners worldwide who all have an opinion of what is most vitally important for Tesla to improve/correct. Likely no two opinions are identical. And the target(s) for improvement continue to morph with each new update. How in hell is Tesla to be expected to make the right improvements to satisfy all of us. They have to prioritize, and their list probably bears little resemblance to mine. This is a new problem in the automotive world because, in the past, what you bought was what you got...period. This brave new world requires a certain amount of trust and patience from us consumers.
Yes, but...

I think there's a fundamental balance between rate of new features and bugginess that they're not getting right if they want Tesla to be a truly mass market car.

I agree there are very different priorities regarding which new features we want, and which bugs we most want fixed.

But I do think they have to put more effort in to fixing bugs and perfecting features rather than introducing so many new features.

Picture it from the point of view of someone who doesn't own a Tesla, but knows someone who does, and is considering purchasing one themselves. As time goes on, they see their friend's car becoming more capable, but also more buggy. The fact that when Sentry mode fills up a USB drive it can result in losing Autopilot, for example, is just loopy. As an owner already, you can learn to cope with that kind of thing, but as a prospective buyer, wouldn't it make you hesitate?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, but...

I think there's a fundamental balance between rate of new features and bugginess that they're not getting right if they want Tesla to be a truly mass market car.

I agree there are very different priorities regarding which new features we want, and which bugs we most want fixed.

But I do think they have to put more effort in to fixing bugs and perfecting features rather than introducing so many new features.

Picture it from the point of view of someone who doesn't own a Tesla, but knows someone who does, and is considering purchasing one themselves. As time goes on, they see their friend's car becoming more capable, but also more buggy. The fact that when Sentry mode fills up a USB drive it can result in losing Autopilot, for example, is just loopy. As an owner already, you can learn to cope with that kind of thing, but as a prospective buyer, wouldn't it make you hesitate?
Sure, you points carry some weight. However, all hesitation ends when a prospective buyer mashes the "GO" pedal.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmmm... I can't tell whether this trick causes the override to persist when the mode changes.

I can override the display brightness as needed on the current mode without issue, but as soon as the display switches to the other mode, it seems to revert to a default value (5% for day, 30% for night). Also, when the display changes mode on its own, it seems to seek what it thinks is the "optimum" brightness, ignoring your override. (At least that's what mine did when it flipped from Day to Night a moment ago.)

My car and I strongly disagree about the ideal brightness level for night mode -- I prefer 30-35%, but left to its own devices, it settles on 12%, which is virtually illegible to my eyes... It was bad enough to warrant a bug report. I'll give it a few days to see if it improves, but I may have to disable auto brightness (while leaving auto mode on) for this firmware.
Totally agree, I've turned off auto brightness and left auto day night on.

And... for those of us who have been using auto lane change on city streets, that no longer is available.

When this occurs, several things happen:
  • adjacent lane markers no longer display
  • If you do try auto lane change, it shows the blinker four times and then displays "Auto Lane Change Unavailable".
  • You wish you hadn't upgraded!
As for no-confirmation lane change, it's a tick faster and a little smoother. Also, when coming up on stopped traffic, braking is smoother.

So, as always, good things and bad things. Gosh I hope they revert the screen brightness back to what it was, it was pretty good (for me).

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You’re right, but of the 100s of thousands, how many have “games” as their top priority? Games are pretty much no more then a cool tech demo. Seems like they’re focusing on what can get them free marketing on Twitter over anything else.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You’re right, but of the 100s of thousands, how many have “games” as their top priority? Games are pretty much no more then a cool tech demo. Seems like they’re focusing on what can get them free marketing on Twitter over anything else.
While I happen to agree that working on games should be way low on the priority list, I'm less sure that we're in the majority. I think I see Tesla making safety issues priority 1. After that, who outside of Tesla's upper management knows. I can't conceive of any reason they wouldn't try to please a) existing owners and/or b) prospective buyers. Which group is more important? IDK.