Firmware Build v9.0 2019.16.2 73d3f3c (5/20/2019)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Have you installed firmware 2019.16.2?

• Total voters
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huge drain today in 70 degree weather. Drove 50 miles and lost 90 miles. Streaming also inconsistent. Lastly app connectivity also very bad with this version. Others agree?
Same thing for me. On a 400km commute, I lost 15% and it was not cold, around 16 celcius. Also having a LR model 3, I expect to have an autonomy of around 520km. But, all my recent 100% charge bring me to max 498km.

MJJ

Across .12 and .16 I've been gaining a comfort level allowing the car to perform passing maneuvers in heavier traffic. In the interest of science, I allowed a scenario to play out today that I thought was very interesting.

I find that often AP will change into a lane with upcoming traffic that I feel is too close to politely merge, but not too close to be unsafe. The car will accelerate to its set point quickly, so I don't think I even impede their progress or require them to change speed, but I know how *I* feel when someone does the same thing to me. I shake my head and mutter "rude!"

Another factor in the scenario is that AP must signal and wait a safe period before changing lanes. I understand why this is necessary, but it is not what a human driver expects of the average other human driver. It often results in someone trying to bust a move around, to the left or right, because they leap (prematurely) to the conclusion I'm going to sit there with my blinker on. This is particularly aggravating when I am signalling that I will GTFO of their way imminently, and they try to swoop around anyway. *This* I refer to as "cutting me off."

Finally to the scenario. I'm in the #1 lane with some lady very close behind. I'm allowing AP to do its thing, and it does begin its change out of passing lane promptly. Good job, I say to the car, and then notice that antsy lady behind me has started her right side pass, despite my signal. So the car started over, got about a foot over the line, saw her, and returned to the lane. This did cause antsy lady to hesitate, but she did not back off, so the Tesla started over a second time. Once it got, again, about a foot over the line, it decided she was still a threat, so once again we returned to our lane. By now she has seen me weave in and out of my lane twice, so she did back off enough that we could come over on the third try.

One reason I allowed this to play out was that by initiating a pass on the right, after I'd signaled, put the other driver at "fault" (quotes implying there's no legal sense to the usage).

I thought the Tesla's response, although a bit less than suave and sophisticated, was perfectly correct. I was proud of her.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Huge drain today in 70 degree weather. Drove 50 miles and lost 90 miles. Streaming also inconsistent. Lastly app connectivity also very bad with this version. Others agree?
Getting my (Spoitfy) phone to stream seamlessly has been problematic with this version.

I've even removed and reinstalled the Tesla app on my up to date iphone 6 key fob.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two recent issues - since 16.2 installed. May be related.

1) Was on 5-lane divided roadway (intermittent left turn lanes on left side, bike lane on right, speed limit 45). WAs travelling in right lane using AP set to 47 MPH, iirc. A Ford extended cab (4--door) pickup truck passed me in the left lane, perhaps 5-10 MPH faster.

The car beeped/blared the whole time as the truck passed - similar to the emergency collision warning bleeping. When the truck cleared, the noises stopped. Did not look at what may have been displayed on screen.

2) Same road, different day. Again in right lane ~47 MPH and vehicle ahead in same lane is turning right. It's about 100 meters in front and has turn signal engaged while moving into bike lane (OUT of MY lane). Again my car starts bleeping and the animated bouncing car display game shows an object in the lane to the right of me ahead in red, and then shows it going 90-degrees to the right on the road it turned into. Still bleeping. After I pass that road (still at speed) the red vehicle display and noises cease.

Neither of these instances were even CLOSE to an emergency situation. Can I disable these "warnings"?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two recent issues - since 16.2 installed. May be related.

1) Was on 5-lane divided roadway (intermittent left turn lanes on left side, bike lane on right, speed limit 45). WAs travelling in right lane using AP set to 47 MPH, iirc. A Ford extended cab (4--door) pickup truck passed me in the left lane, perhaps 5-10 MPH faster.

The car beeped/blared the whole time as the truck passed - similar to the emergency collision warning bleeping. When the truck cleared, the noises stopped. Did not look at what may have been displayed on screen.

2) Same road, different day. Again in right lane ~47 MPH and vehicle ahead in same lane is turning right. It's about 100 meters in front and has turn signal engaged while moving into bike lane (OUT of MY lane). Again my car starts bleeping and the animated bouncing car display game shows an object in the lane to the right of me ahead in red, and then shows it going 90-degrees to the right on the road it turned into. Still bleeping. After I pass that road (still at speed) the red vehicle display and noises cease.

Neither of these instances were even CLOSE to an emergency situation. Can I disable these "warnings"?
I believe you can and you can also reduce their distance you get notified. Look up Collision Warning in the manual, page 86 of one copy I have, but there are multiple copies out there. Review that section of what it is detecting and how you can change how it operates.

From page 86:
"By default, Forward Collision Warning is
turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision
Warning. Instead of the default warning level
of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or
you can choose to be warned Late or Early"

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sharing an issue that happened the me a couple of times yesterday.

I'm navigating on autopilot, driving in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway. NoAP suggests that I moved to the passing lane and I confirm. Some time after passing the slow car, I can see its headlights in my rear view mirror so I activate the turn signal to get out of the passing lane. Now this where it gets strange. There is a car ahead of me in the middle lane, maybe 100 feet away. It does not appear be slow. At that point my car instead of merging gently, brakes in the passing lane. I did not try to find out what it was trying to do because I took over, accelerated and merged.

This has happened one more time not long after. So the third time I waited longer, to add more distance between my car and the one I was passing, before activating the turn signal: this time the car merged smoothly in the middle lane.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I'm navigating on autopilot, driving in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway. NoAP suggests that I moved to the passing lane and I confirm. Some time after passing the slow car, I can see its headlights in my rear view mirror so I activate the turn signal to get out of the passing lane. Now this where it gets strange. There is a car ahead of me in the middle lane, maybe 100 feet away. It does not appear be slow. At that point my car instead of merging gently, brakes in the passing lane. I did not try to find out what it was trying to do because I took over, accelerated and merged.

This has happened one more time not long after. So the third time I waited longer, to add more distance between my car and the one I was passing, before activating the turn signal: this time the car merged smoothly in the middle lane.
I've had the same thing happen numerous times.

About 50% of the time, after inducing the car to actually go back into the right lane after passing slower traffic, it wants to shed speed with an abrupt change in velocity.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'm not saying this will work but its something to look at, check your follow distance setting. Try setting it to 2 or 3 if its not already, it might calm that aggressive breaking down.

NEO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found "forward collusion warning" had been set to early so if you are getting more warnings on this firmware, check to make sure the selected warning setting is the one you want. Once I reset it to where I had it before, the warnings were the same as other firmwares.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe you can and you can also reduce their distance you get notified. Look up Collision Warning in the manual, page 86 of one copy I have, but there are multiple copies out there. Review that section of what it is detecting and how you can change how it operates.

From page 86:
"By default, Forward Collision Warning is
turned on. To turn it off or adjust its sensitivity,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Forward Collision
Warning. Instead of the default warning level
of Medium, you can turn the warning Off, or
you can choose to be warned Late or Early"
I will try that to address item (2) above but I don't think forward-facing collision detection is what happened in item (1) above.

MJJ

...At that point my car instead of merging gently, brakes in the passing lane...
Unnerving, huh!

I would like to see better speed matching built in to lane changes. Currently the car relies on its excellent acceleration to speed up as it changes lanes, and it's not *terrible*, but we humans are taught to telegraph our intentions and speed matching is a good way to do that. There is usually plenty of space up front, the car could easily speed up then change lanes, rather than the other way around. It would make us much better freeway citizens.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My charging at 80% is down 4-5 miles from what it was before this version. Anyone else seeing this degradation?
Yes, I did experience that as well. Before this update, I had 262-265 miles at 80%.. After this update, 80% was 259-261.

HOWEVER... this morning after charging to 80%, for the first time since the update, I was back at 265! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not saying this will work but its something to look at, check your follow distance setting. Try setting it to 2 or 3 if its not already, it might calm that aggressive breaking down.
I'll try that. Right now it is set at a very conservative 7.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll try that. Right now it is set at a very conservative 7.
7 is a lot, from what I know the numbers indicate stop distance in car lengths based on your rate of speed. so if your going 75 miles per hour it will lay back quite a bit more as compared to going 45. If you could report back on what you find out to the forum I think this test will be informative for everybody.

Dkitsov

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the tip but unfortunately no resolution. Tried it twice. Tesla service is back on the phones today, but all they suggested was to power the car off and wait inside for 3 minutes. No resolution there either. Now it's off to the service center which doesn't have any availability until Friday. I was just there within the past month...Who knows what it is.
I don't know if anyone responded to this yet but what worked for me is parking with Sentry mode disabled. Once the car went to sleep and I then woke it up everything was fine.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know if anyone responded to this yet but what worked for me is parking with Sentry mode disabled. Once the car went to sleep and I then woke it up everything was fine.
Thanks. Another person on here had the same issue and mentioned a similar solution. I was able to fix the problem by turning off Sentry Mode. I turned it back on and was without issues for a bit, but then the issue came back. I think there is a bug when you receive a Sentry event at home. I've since turned Sentry Mode completely off until they fix the bug. Surprisingly there doesn't appear to be a bug fix rolling out...

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Last edited:

sduck

Country
Country
Go to your sentry mode options, turn off sentry mode at home. Or at work. Apparently the car needs a time out once a day from constant sentry mode duty for a few hours at least. This has been mentioned as a solution many times in other threads and forums.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
7 is a lot, from what I know the numbers indicate stop distance in car lengths based on your rate of speed. so if your going 75 miles per hour it will lay back quite a bit more as compared to going 45. If you could report back on what you find out to the forum I think this test will be informative for everybody.
As you suggested, I changed the following distance from 7 to 3 and did another test and I got the same results. Like previously I passed the slower car until I saw its headlights in my rear view mirror and signaled. There was a pickup truck about 100 feet ahead of me in that lane and once again my car braked. There was nobody else around me that could have confused the car other than the car I was passing.

A few minutes later I did one more test. I simulated passing a vehicle and activated the turn signal one hundred feet behind a car that was in the lane I was returning too. That car was a little bit slower than mine. This time my car did not brake and it smoothly merged into the lane.