Firmware Build v9.0 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 (4/28/2019)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Have you installed firmware 2019.12.1.1?

• Total voters

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not liking this "bug fix update" so far.

The LTE signal seems to be much weaker now and the car loses the signal all the time causing the music streaming to stop.

The car simply refused to go into Drive this morning. It seemed to be stuck, because after I pressed D multiple time, then Park then D trying to make it react they all activated in quick succession and I got a bunch of bells and warning messages at once. Then shortly after while I was driving to work the screen partially froze (speed indicator locked at 1 mph, not sure if the navigation system was updating) and I had to do the 2-button reset to get it back to life.

I also had to do the 2-button reset yesterday hoping to restore the LTE signal, but it didn't help much.

All in all, I've noticed more issues the last 24 hours than I have over the last 3 months. It's never a good idea to rush two software releases so quickly back to back. It means Tesla didn't really put much QA into insuring that the "bug fixes" didn't have undesirable side effects and caused a regression.
Or your firmware didn't install properly. If a significant number of other people who just upgraded to 12.1.1 report these problems, then the "bug fixes" are likely to blame. But if a day or so goes by (since this firmware has been installed in a lot of cars) and there aren't multiple reports of these bugs, then I think it's appropriate to call for service and see if they're willing to re-install the firmware or otherwise troubleshoot the problems.

Country
Country
Or your firmware didn't install properly. If a significant number of other people who just upgraded to 12.1.1 report these problems, then the "bug fixes" are likely to blame. But if a day or so goes by (since this firmware has been installed in a lot of cars) and there aren't multiple reports of these bugs, then I think it's appropriate to call for service and see if they're willing to re-install the firmware or otherwise troubleshoot the problems.
Yeah that's why I came here to see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues. But it's been less than 24 hours so it's too early to tell. But I really don't see how the firmware would not install "properly". I'm a software engineer and I know how these upgrades work. I don't think there is an ambiguous middle case. It either installs successfully or doesn't install at all. It may require a reboot, but I already did 2 resets.

On the positive side, my rear camera seems to work properly again. After 12.1 I started getting frequent (as in almost every time) black screens when I go in reverse.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

The LTE signal seems to be much weaker now and the car loses the signal all the time causing the music streaming to stop.

The car simply refused to go into Drive this morning. It seemed to be stuck, because after I pressed D multiple time, then Park then D trying to make it react they all activated in quick succession and I got a bunch of bells and warning messages at once. Then shortly after while I was driving to work the screen partially froze (speed indicator locked at 1 mph, not sure if the navigation system was updating) and I had to do the 2-button reset to get it back to life.

I also had to do the 2-button reset yesterday hoping to restore the LTE signal, but it didn't help much.

All in all, I've noticed more issues the last 24 hours than I have over the last 3 months. It's never a good idea to rush two software releases so quickly back to back. It means Tesla didn't really put much QA into insuring that the "bug fixes" didn't have undesirable side effects and caused a regression.
Have you sent bug reports?

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah that's why I came here to see if anyone else is experiencing similar issues. But it's been less than 24 hours so it's too early to tell. But I really don't see how the firmware would not install "properly". I'm a software engineer and I know how these upgrades work. I don't think there is an ambiguous middle case. It either installs successfully or doesn't install at all. It may require a reboot, but I already did 2 resets.
Searching the forums reveals a fair number of posts like this one. There's a failed update, and then some things don't work. Often, it seems to be that features such as AP are missing. But sometimes the problems seem to be a bit more peculiar, like this owner's inability to shift in to drive.

Without knowing more about exactly how Tesla handles firmware updates, it's hard to say what's happening. I could start trying to make stuff up, but you're the expert (I'm an experimental physicist, so I'm not clueless about these things, but I'm certainly not a software engineer!).

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In other news (which I will also post at the 2.5 thread), 12.1.1 NOA still:
  • hugs the left side of the lane,
  • takes at least two seconds to think about actually starting a lane change (to pass),
  • does not know how to match speed and merge onto (HWY 401) without me stepping on the accelerator, and
  • keeps the turn signal on if I force a lane change to pass someone (only way to cnx the signal is tap stalk in opposite direction).
The left lane hugging scares me when engaged on a 2 lane road.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got it yesterday afternoon and have noticed a couple of issues so far, not sure if they're related to the update
  • AP/NOA disengaged while driving in the carpool lane this morning with only a subtle chime (not the loud take over immediately chime) and the car started drifting to the left. At the time it was sprinkling rain lightly. AP was unavailable for a couple minutes following this (with a "cruise not available" message) and the headlight icon turned blue, don't think I've seen that before. It was just barely sprinkling at the time, not sure if that's related. Has anyone else seen the headlight icon turn blue? Perhaps that's the headlights turning on as a failover if day/night can't be determined?
  • On the way back from a meeting this afternoon I was on NOA on a cloverleaf style two lane offramp (405N exit to Carson St) and the car seemed to lose track of the lane lines and drifted from the right lane into the left (outer) and was headed for the curb before I intervened. Haven't driven this particular offramp before but single lane clover leafs were pretty good on 2019.8.5.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Got it yesterday afternoon and have noticed a couple of issues so far, not sure if they're related to the update
  • AP/NOA disengaged while driving in the carpool lane this morning with only a subtle chime (not the loud take over immediately chime) and the car started drifting to the left. At the time it was sprinkling rain lightly. AP was unavailable for a couple minutes following this (with a "cruise not available" message) and the headlight icon turned blue, don't think I've seen that before. It was just barely sprinkling at the time, not sure if that's related. Has anyone else seen the headlight icon turn blue? Perhaps that's the headlights turning on as a failover if day/night can't be determined?
  • On the way back from a meeting this afternoon I was on NOA on a cloverleaf style two lane offramp (405N exit to Carson St) and the car seemed to lose track of the lane lines and drifted from the right lane into the left (outer) and was headed for the curb before I intervened. Haven't driven this particular offramp before but single lane clover leafs were pretty good on 2019.8.5.

View attachment 25415
I know since 8.x, if rain is involved, I have also gotten the same AP decoupling and warning of unavailability.

IIRC, a blue headlamp icon equates to the high beams being on.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 25415
I've had AP give up very frequently when I'm in an HOV lane with a "Simulated Island" (which is CalTrans speak for quadruple yellow lines) between the HOV and main freeway. The car doesn't seem to really know what to do with a disjointed HOV lane. It's done this from back in September, up to this past Saturday. Although it has given me the "Take Over Immediately" alert, not a simple chime. Haven't tried it yet on 12.1.1.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'm still on 2019.8.5 and I feel like I've seen this too. I haven't had much of an impact because I'm using bluetooth for audio and most of my content is already on my phone. However I've seen a low number of bars recently, last week or so. Curious if its a geographical issue due to network issues.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know since 8.x, if rain is involved, I have also gotten the same AP decoupling and warning of unavailability.

IIRC, a blue headlamp icon equates to the high beams being on.
Did you get a loud warning or did it give up quietly? And you're right, I checked the manual and it was just the non-auto high beam indicator which is what threw me off (normal green headlight icon wasn't visible)

I've had AP give up very frequently when I'm in an HOV lane with a "Simulated Island" (which is CalTrans speak for quadruple yellow lines) between the HOV and main freeway. The car doesn't seem to really know what to do with a disjointed HOV lane. It's done this from back in September, up to this past Saturday. Although it has given me the "Take Over Immediately" alert, not a simple chime. Haven't tried it yet on 12.1.1.
Interesting, first time I've experienced it. I think the car generally does a good job perceiving that style of isolated carpool lane, but I'm looking forward to NOA getting a little smarter in its usage/timing of getting into/out of carpool lanes 😂

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Did you get a loud warning or did it give up quietly? And you're right, I checked the manual and it was just the non-auto high beam indicator which is what threw me off (normal green headlight icon wasn't visible)
View attachment 25424

Interesting, first time I've experienced it. I think the car generally does a good job perceiving that style of isolated carpool lane, but I'm looking forward to NOA getting a little smarter in its usage/timing of getting into/out of carpool lanes 😂
I never got the loud warning, just the mild one that appears just above the odometer card area.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 25424

Yeah, it's always given me trouble on one stretch of I-5, both directions between San Juan Capistrano and Tustin. I didn't buy the carpool stickers, so I have to keep out unless I have someone with me. When I'm in the carpool lane, it makes me take over. When I'm out of it, NoA is constantly trying to change lanes out of lane 1, and when I cancel, it immediately pops back up until the quad yellows switch to a dash. then it's smooth sailing until the quad yellows pop back up.

Eli

Country
Country
I didn't see this mentioned but I noticed the logic of the automatic interior lights changed in a recent update. Previously when you closed all the doors the interior lights would immediately fade out, and then they would come back on when you pushed the brake, and then they'd fade out again when you changed to drive/reverse. Now the logic has changed so they stay on momentarily even when all the doors are closed and don't fade out until you "shift" into gear.

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, it'll be the new F5, for those who were having withdrawals. Something tells me it won't really change your position in the lottery. They probably put it in there with zero underlying code. Kinda like the "door close" button in an elevator, which is often purported to be a dummy button to give you the illusion of control.

Attachments

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, it's always given me trouble on one stretch of I-5, both directions between San Juan Capistrano and Tustin. I didn't buy the carpool stickers, so I have to keep out unless I have someone with me. When I'm in the carpool lane, it makes me take over. When I'm out of it, NoA is constantly trying to change lanes out of lane 1, and when I cancel, it immediately pops back up until the quad yellows switch to a dash. then it's smooth sailing until the quad yellows pop back up.
If you have "Use HOV lanes" off, NoA will avoid them. Even if you force it to go in, it will try to get out. Likewise, if it's turned on, it will always want to be in the HOV lane no matter what.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you have "Use HOV lanes" off, NoA will avoid them. Even if you force it to go in, it will try to get out. Likewise, if it's turned on, it will always want to be in the HOV lane no matter what.
Very aware of that. When I said lane 1,I may have misspoken. I mean the first lane that is not the HOV lane.

The problem them, I'm guessing, is that when the HOV lane splits off, the car interprets the furthest left non-HOV lane as an HOV lane and tries to get out.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very aware of that. When I said lane 1,I may have misspoken. I mean the first lane that is not the HOV lane.

The problem them, I'm guessing, is that when the HOV lane splits off, the car interprets the furthest left non-HOV lane as an HOV lane and tries to get out.
In another thread I posited that the lane next to the HOV lane is being treated as the passing lane for vehicles that legally cannot use the HOV lane for passing.