Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Firmware build v9.0 2018.42.3 eb373a (11/1/2018)

27K views 173 replies 84 participants last post by  undergrove 
#1 · (Edited)
... has been detected on a Model 3 in Illinois.

Might be too early to make a definitive pronouncement, but so far tonight it looks like they are mostly rolling out 42.3 instead of 42.2 to folks who are still on 39.7 and earlier.

#2 ·
I have been reporting a lot of bugs so maybe they will start addressing some of them. Even though Have use HOV lanes selected, it doesn't seem to be aware of where they are or where they go. The same is true for toll roads which are sometimes combined toll road and HOV lane here in southern CA. For example, if I am on a freeway in the left most lane and suddenly an HOV or toll lane opens to the left, it ignores it and it can be hard to get it to go in that lane even by turning on the turn signal. I came to the end of a freeway (55 fwy) in Newport Beach and it let me know that NOA was done but it then switches to AP and starts accelerating to my set speed even though cars are stopped dead ahead of me requiring me to slam on the brakes.

If the route it wants is not the route you want to take it keeps nagging you to change lanes to exit where it wants to exit and there is no override other than to ignore it. It would be nice to have a way to say, no don't change lanes. It was trying to navigate to my home from Newport Beach by a route I know from experience is horrible and was completely ignoring a better route that would use the HOV and toll lanes.

The ding to tell you it wants to change lanes does not happen when it initially puts up its message that looks just like the keep hands on wheel one but some time later (15-30 secs). Seeing that it is a lange change request can be difficult as the light grey color they use is so faint. They need to darken it some, make the display larger and give the message a different color frame than black. Also, it sometimes wants to change lanes for no apparent reason and it wants to move you out of the HOV lane into a slower traffic lane.

It has difficulty where the left barrier wall on an underpass juts out further and the steering goes a bit crazy as it turns first one way and then another at high speed. It doesn't seem to realize it could just continue straight ahead. Part of that is because I find it tending to hold to the left side of the lane rather than the center or right side. When there are only inches between the yellow line and the barrier wall it can be a bit unnerving to be so close, especially on turns. We aren't racing at Seabring so we don't need to hug the wall on turns.

It does see cars moving into your lane suddenly and for the most part react in real time to hit the brakes or slow down. I did have one occasion where I had to apply the brakes hard do to someone suddenly pulling into the lane in front of the car in front of me though it did try to stop. It wasn't applying the brakes hard enough for me to feel certain we wouldn't hit them.

On a slow crawl merge to the left, I had a car in the left front quadrant that was trying to sneak ahead of me and my car suddenly tried to move forward and turn into him and I had to hit the brakes and take control until the merge was complete.

This is still a huge step up from just AP but they need to make the maps HOV/Toll aware and they need to let us select different routes including waypoints.

#12 ·
MadMax is more annoying than anything, in its current version. Constant recommendations to change lanes take away from the relaxing aspect of autopilot. If folks are imagining it whips over into the next lane with mad, crazy aggression after you hit the stalk, I am here to tell you that is not the case. It just initiates and completes a lane change. Now, once it removes the requirement of driver approval, things will get interesting.

#84 ·
I did not get 42.2, but 42.3 (just got it this morning) has the same release notes as 42.2.
Having RWD, I got the comment about increased regen -- it's there, although the difference is not very noticeable above 40mph, but it's definitely stronger between 10mph and 30mph. The increase is not such that anyone risks hitting the windshield the first time they take their foot off the accelerator, though ;-)
I have EAP+FSD, but cannot use Autopilot where I live, so no comment on that. Dashcam looks OK so far -- already doing better than under 39.7.
I see 42.4 is now coming out, though ;-)

BTW, has anyone ordered a fob yet? (Can they be ordered, and, if so, how?)

#15 ·
Montreal, Canada, model 3 LR RWD

Got 42.3 an hour ago coming from 39.7.
I didn't have the chance to drive the car yet because it's late, but, I can see that my pixel 2 xl phone is waking up the car much faster than before with the app v 3.6.1. the longest time was 10 sec. Most of my tries, even after a phone restart was almost instantly wake up.

#17 ·
42.3 Just hit me (from 39.7) 236 MB hit the google wifi tonight got the notification to install immediately after the download. it is nice to hit update from the phone!

I am driving to Cape Cod tomorrow ~150 miles so I am looking forward to giving it a whirl I did a 200 mile RT to Boston today on 39.7, the AP software is dramatically different than it was before V9.

note, I have not been early on other updates so no clue why this found me today.

#90 ·
I'm seeing the same thing as I charge at home right now. 1550 miles on the odometer, projected 100% charge was consistently 307-308 on 39.7 and earlier, but is now 313 miles miles on 42.3.

Similarly, charge rate used to be 29 mph for a warm battery at 245V/32A. Now it's showing 30 mph under the same conditions. Kinda seems like they've slightly recalibrated the rated Whm. I wonder whether the rated consumption line on the energy graph has moved down by one pixel? :)

#20 ·
Just went from 39.x to this release. Looks like 42.3 introduces a key fob you can buy from Tesla (not me; prefer just using my phone & card as backup) and improvements to regen (guess I better watch out during my morning commute).

#23 ·
Just installed 42.3, yes 42.3, from 39.7. I have a P3D- w/EAP. Release notes reference only key fob. No NOA, no mention of re-gen. Haven't driven, so maybe NOA shows after calibration, but doubtful since it's unmentioned in release notes. Leaving in an hour for 3 day road trip and would love to try out NOA, fingers crossed. BTW, this only my second software update in 5 weeks(36.2->39.7.1->42.3). To my knowledge I've never had a maps update(they show up the same way as any other software update don't they? How often?) who thinks that a SC visit is warranted?

#29 ·
Went from 39.7 to 42.3 this AM. M3LRAWD

#30 ·
Just updated this morning! :cool: *Averaging 14-days between updates per TeslaFi since July delivery.

39.7 ----> 42.3

Reactions: JWardell
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.