Firmware build v9.0 2018.42.3 eb373a (11/1/2018)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still on 42.3. I haven't gotten an update for over a month now. Are all the later updates for cold weather regions? Does anyone have any insight on when owners get their updates?? I'm feeling really left out!
I am on 42.3 as well, but not feeling left out ;-) Not every car gets upgraded to the next firmware -- but pretty much the entire fleet moves forward anyway. There is no particular reason every car should get every upgrade, but no car gets left behind for too long (say 3-4 updates missed in a row, counting only major version numbers) -- or if you do, then you can contact service and request that they push an upgrade to your car. According to Teslafi, less than half the Model 3 fleet has moved beyond 42.x, so you and I have plenty of company!
Tesla stopped rolling out 44, it looks like, and is now rolling out 46, so you or I may get it at any time, although I suspect they are still prioritizing cold regions for now, since most of what's new in 44/46 is about cold weather. I'll be fine getting 48 for Xmas if I miss 46, or 50 at New Year's otherwise.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Left out? I'm still on 39.7....14 versions behind :)

It's typical to have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new version. As they say, you can "increase your chances" of getting it sooner if the car is parked on wifi every night, but it's still no guarantee.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

It's typical to have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new version. As they say, you can "increase your chances" of getting it sooner if the car is parked on wifi every night, but it's still no guarantee.
I wouldn't count minor version numbers, nor major version numbers that were just trial balloons (or never went to any Model 3).
That makes you 3 major version numbers behind (42, 44, and 46, since 40, 41, and 43 never went beyond tiny trial releases), not so bad in terms of version numbers (although it's a lot more than 2-3 weeks, right?).

The one oddity is that you are in Boston, where I bet it's real cold, and Tesla appeared to be prioritizing cars in cold areas for the 44/46 releases.
However, it looks like Tesla is in the middle of a really wide release of 46.2, to all models and including upgrading quickly those who got 44.x, so a lot more owners should get 46.2 over the rest of the week.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Does it matter if it is charging? If you are driving or parked but not connected to wifi when your time comes up do you move back in the que. Do you ever get a notification while driving, and then you download it next time your stopped. I mentioned before it would be great if they notified us of the time window when our update is scheduled. I feel this would be extremely beneficial to the influencers who get the updates first. This way the Model 3 podcast could let us know when they will be doing there version 10 review.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does it matter if it is charging? If you are driving or parked but not connected to wifi when your time comes up do you move back in the que. Do you ever get a notification while driving, and then you download it next time your stopped. I mentioned before it would be great if they notified us of the time window when our update is scheduled. I feel this would be extremely beneficial to the influencers who get the updates first. This way the Model 3 podcast could let us know when they will be doing there version 10 review.
Updates certainly do not download when you are driving, but other than that we really don't know when. It seems most come in overnight but there are plenty of reports for other times of day.
I have never heard of any "influencers" getting any updates early. Only some Tesla employees get updates before anyone else. (And that one Model 3 on TeslaFi from Nevada...)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't count minor version numbers, nor major version numbers that were just trial balloons (or never went to any Model 3).
That makes you 3 major version numbers behind (42, 44, and 46, since 40, 41, and 43 never went beyond tiny trial releases),
The 42, 44, etc. are not major version numbers. This is just the week of the year that the software was built.

The current major version number is 9.
Strangely enough, I don't think the car or app actually displays "9" anywhere.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updates certainly do not download when you are driving, but other than that we really don't know when. It seems most come in overnight but there are plenty of reports for other times of day.
I have never heard of any "influencers" getting any updates early. Only some Tesla employees get updates before anyone else. (And that one Model 3 on TeslaFi from Nevada...)

I read that referral points also put you in front to test upgrades. I thought it made since because they would probably run it through its paces.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 42, 44, etc. are not major version numbers. This is just the week of the year that the software was built.

The current major version number is 9.
Strangely enough, I don't think the car or app actually displays "9" anywhere.
Oh, sure, but that one changes so slowly that keeping track is not really helping, especially with people asking why they were not upgraded from 39.6.1 to 39.7 (or whatever)...
And, as you state it, Tesla does not use these high-level version numbers when identifying a release -- instead it uses <year>.<week#>.<build#> plus a 7-digit hex code and that's what displays on the app and on the car screen;
e.g., my current firmware's full identification is 2018.42.3 eb373a0
Given that, the version number to retain would seem to be the week number -- slow enough changing that people will not expect an upgrade every couple of days and fast enough that people won't get really impatient...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, sure, but that one changes so slowly that keeping track is not really helping
I agree. I just don't think you should refer to it as a "major number". It gives the wrong impression. A change in a software's "major number" indicates that it is a major change in the software. These are "build timestamps". They tell us when the software version was created, but indicate nothing about how much has changed with the software.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read that referral points also put you in front to test upgrades. I thought it made since because they would probably run it through its paces.
Yep, once you reach four referrals:

https://www.tesla.com/support/referral-program
4 Qualifying Referrals:
Priority Access to Vehicle Software Updates
Be the first to experience the latest Tesla software updates with priority access to selected releases.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, once you reach four referrals:

https://www.tesla.com/support/referral-program
4 Qualifying Referrals:
Priority Access to Vehicle Software Updates
Be the first to experience the latest Tesla software updates with priority access to selected releases.
That new program was just announced a few weeks ago and we haven't seen any signs of its implementation yet, if anything it probably qualifies you for the early access program, which so far has not proven to give early access to software versions for those of us who are in it. All we can do is guess for the future, and of course Tesla can and does change how it does things regularly

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree. I just don't think you should refer to it as a "major number". It gives the wrong impression. A change in a software's "major number" indicates that it is a major change in the software. These are "build timestamps". They tell us when the software version was created, but indicate nothing about how much has changed with the software.
Agreed about the designation -- my bad for referring to week # as "major number".

Tesla firmwares today are a bit like Linux kernel releases had been from the beginning until a few years ago: a major number that hardly changed (although the scale was different: major numbers in Linux kernels in the first 20 years or so would not change for years and years), foilowed by 2 more numbers (Tesla needs 3, because week# is not directly connected to releases). Because of the very slow change in major version number, many Linux users referred to kernels without using the major number, since that was always understood from context. (This changed a few years ago, because kernel developers worried that the slow change of major numbers led to the impression that there was not much progress made and now numbers have increased as much in the last 3-4 years as they had through the first 20-odd years)
Users of Tesla firmwares today are like Linux kernel users in the late 1990's (albeit on an accelerated time scale!), and, as you pointed out, Tesla itself reinforces the usage by omitting the major version number from the car's own description.

AZBMT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I'm still on 42.3 here in AZ, but I want to do a quick summary of my experience with AP (and NOA somewhat).

In general, I love it for use in medium to light traffic on the freeways here in the Phoenix area. They are generally pretty straight and in good condition. But, when traffic is heavy, I really don't use it much as it is just not aggressive enough to make lane changes. Yes, I know, NOA is a BETA feature.

Complaints:

* Carpool lane - the car won't get in or out of the carpool lane with a solid painted line. Here in Phoenix, it is legal, so I have to disengage or override, perform the lane change, then re-engage AP (autosteer).
* Carpool lane - when in AP in the carpool lane, the car seems to like to move closer to the solid painted line that is the slower lane to the right. When there is solid or stopped traffic in that lane, and I am zipping by these cars very close, it is unnerving. Some say it is perception, but looking at the car on the screen, it seems to get closer to that line. AND, the car will often slow down abruptly I presume because a stopped or slow car is close to that painted line. I would add an Offset option tied to the carpool lane, say +Left + Right xx inches, or a "Keep on outside" option, or maybe add that functionality to the right steering dial (left to right would be offsetting the car in that direction).
* Swerving - when in AP, the car is slow to enter turns and ends up on the very outer edge of the lane, and then is slow to straighten out and ends up on the other side of the lane, then it eventually centers itself out in the lane. I OFTEN have to intervene or even just turn off AP (keeping TACC on) because the car gets WAY too close to the adjacent lane car. My guess is that the closed loop parameters are not tuned properly. Is this a car specific thing, a calibration thing or a general software/hardware capability thing?
* Heavy traffic - I generally just don't use AP and NOA, and mostly TACC. It is just too slow to react to potential openings for lane changes, keeps way to much space with the car in front, reacts slowly to the car ahead starting up. I wish TACC would be available without EAP.
* AP lane changes - I've noticed that, after requesting a lane change through the turn signal, it sometimes will either wait a long time, hesitate, start the lane change and stop it (return to the original lane), or not do it at all ( all with a clear lane). In addition, if I request another lane change right after the first one is complete, it just won't do it and I have to attempt it a second time. Even if I requested a lane change while the first one is being performed, it should be able to accommodate. All this just looks like I don't know what I'm doing for cars behind me.
* Mad Max - yeah I like it but, again, it just seems to take so much time for decisions to be made. By that time, it is too late.

The good:

* Phantom braking - seems like this has been pretty much eliminated for me. It used to happen a couple times a week.
* Slowing down - AP seems to do a pretty good job at predicting turns and slowing down. However, I think it is very very conservative and slows down way too much making the traffic behind a little leery.

So in general, I really like the technology and obviously paid to get it. However my biggest grippe is the Swerving. If that would be improved or eliminated, I would probably use AP much more.

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just got updated from 42.3 to 46.2, and now the option to enable NOA is present--so this time we must have gotten the map update. This happened while connected to the extender in our carport. The update took about 28 minutes.

My earlier question about getting NOA has apparently been answered: if you did not get the maps with your update, you will not get NOA and will have to wait for the next update to get the maps and NOA,

So now we will be moving from this forum to the 46.2 forum.

(note to Mods--I thought the idea to combine all posts about v9 updates in one thread was brilliant. However, it seems that once we got off 39.xx it was decided that we fragment once again into different threads for each 4x.x version. I find that there is useful and interesting information in each one, even if I do not have it. People continue to post information about specific features in the version threads instead of the feature threads. It would be nice to once again follow the version progress in one thread--my 2¢ FWIW).