Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 60 of 174 Posts
Immediately after the update the car downloaded about 500MB of data. Probably the maps update needed for NoA?

I received 42.3 this morning. I tried Navigate on Autopilot and was relatively impressed. A few thoughts:

• The system still doesn't properly handle the toll lanes that recently opened near our house, but I think that's a function of the maps.
  • Speed- based lane change suggestions were a bit silly even with the "Mild" setting. When the toll lanes end, they dump me straight into the HOV lane on I-75, which is usually where I want to remain. The system suggested that I leave the HOV lane several times when the lane immediately to the right - the passing lane - was moving slightly faster. I summarily ignored the suggestions.
  • Lane change suggestions needed for navigation seemed to work well, and I accepted them a couple of times. However, my commute requires me to leave the HOV lane south of Downtown Atlanta and get over 5 or 6 lanes to make my exit for the airport on I-85 South. I usually start doing this as I leave downtown, and make my moves gradually, whenever there's a good opening, over the course of 4 miles or so. The system didn't start suggesting these changes as soon as I would have liked, so I initiated several of the changes myself, when it was safe and convenient to do so. Perhaps it would eventually have caught up, but I really don't like making multiple rapid lane changes as it's unsafe and nerve wracking, so I don't know for sure what it would have done if left to its own devices.
  • Automatic lane changes do appear smoother and more confident than on either 39.7 or 40.1. It expertly did one change that it would have refused to do before, squeezing into a reasonably sized space between two cars. I am a pretty cautious lane changer and felt that it was a very safe move, but also one that the system would not have done before, which even I found too cautious. So this was really good to see.
  • When it came time to make my exit, the system had positioned me in the proper lane and did indeed take the exit, which was great, but as soon as we were on the exit, it started to slow down, which was not appropriate as the ramp is nearly a mile long, so I took over.
  • I was also pleased to see that, as others have mentioned, range calculation seems to have been adjusted. 80% once again equates to 248 miles on my car.
Overall, I am very glad to have made it to Level 42!

So I checked and all three release notes were there for me (Nav on EAP, Keys, Regen.) Tried Nav on EAP and it's pretty neat. I wasn't sure how it was going to handle the exit (my exit to work is abrupt and then has a split), but it signaled and just went on it's own. So I guess you only have to signal lane changes and not lane splits.

Reactions: Navytoke
I just updated this morning as well. Haven't driven yet but I assume yah we won't get NOA yet. Probably for two reasons, 1 regulator and 2 mapping. just my guess though.
I can't find it now but I thought I saw a reference a while back that the issue was actually the maps and that they don't have the necessary NOA data for Canada.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Updated this morning 39.7 -> 42.3. Clearly I got the update quickly because I started this thread last night. :cool:

NOA and Keyfob support mentioned in release notes. NOA was immediately available in Autopilot settings.

Updated overnight last night, and was able to try NOA for my drive this morning to drop off my son at school. I live in Brooklyn, NYC, so the traffic I encounter in the morning is probably not the norm for most people.

Some things I noticed:
  • The lane change suggestions are practically useless, and often times more distracting than helpful. Many times the suggestion would come up the same time as the red line preventing me from changing into the lane. Even after there was an opening, if I tried to engage with the stalk, the car would attempt to change lanes, but then swerve back into the original lane as a car approached from behind. This was with the Moderate lane change setting.

The lane change suggestions in every scenario were worse than me determining my own lane changes, which makes them worse than not having them at all. If the lane changes initiated automatically without me touching the stalk, that would be fine. I would accept less optimized lane changes if they were automatic, since overall that would require less involvement from me, and hopefully would be as safe, or safer than the lane changes I make myself.
  • At this one particular interchange I traverse every day, autopilot never had a problem before. It would proceed normally from a 50mph section of highway, through the interchange, and onto the new 50mph section of highway, all the time maintaining a speed between 50-55. However, with NOA engage, the car slowed down significantly on the interchange, to about 40mph when it first entered, then fluttered back and forth between 40-50, with no car in front of me. I almost got rear-ended when the car first slowed down. Once the interchange was complete, the car went back to 55 as normal. Not sure if this is bad map data, or some new cautious algorithm when traversing interchanges. In NYC though, slowing down like that can be the worst option in a lot of scenarios.
  • When I was approaching my exit, the car instructed me to get into the right-hand lane, which was fine and actually helpful. No problems there. However, just before my exit is a rest area where cars park and people can enter a walkway along the waterfront. The car mistook the rest area for the exit, and abruptly turned into the rest area exit lane, without really slowing down at all. The highway exit that it should have taken has a long ramp to a turn signal, and plenty of room to reduce speed. The rest stop exit however is very short with a sharp curve that leads directly into the parking area. I had to yank the wheel and get back in the highway lane, driving through the white striped no-drive area between the highway lane and the rest stop exit.

The distance between the exits was probably 500 feet. It was an interesting situation. Human drivers make the same mistake all the time, and I made it the first time I was on that section of highway. But I'm surprised the car didn't know it was the incorrect exit. Is that a fault of the map data, not being accurate enough for that distance (the 500ft between exits)? Or does the map data tell the car "hey, exit coming up soon, take the next ramp", and it basically told the car too soon? Maybe it puts the car into exit-searching mode at 800ft before the exit, and that was too early for my car, which saw the rest area exit immediately, and made an abrupt move to catch it before it passed...
Altogether...not impressed. I'm making a long trip this weekend, ~300 miles to upstate NY. I will see how it handles the longer stretches of highway, and more relaxed traffic. The last time I made the same trip, Autopilot handled it extremely well, even avoiding a collision at one point when a pickup truck swerved into my lane as I approached his blind spot.

(My first post) :) I just received my update 42.3 update last night as well (LR RWD M3) and here are my first impressions:

The Pros
- The regenerative braking is noticeably stronger than before which I think is fantastic.
- I tried the Navigate on Autopilot feature this morning for my commute to work and it is much improved from the standard Autopilot. There is a fork in the highway where the lane I need to be in splits into two and where I have to veer right to stay on the path to the exit ramp I need to get off on. In the past when in Autopilot the car would keep left of the fork and I would manually have to correct it's path, but today I didn't have to do that at all. Once the car reached the split it navigate to the right of the fork without fail.

Here are my cons:
The only thing I found to be a little buggy was the distance and speed that the car was traveling behind another motorist. I had it set to one car length but I know I was more than one car length behind the truck in front of me and it was slowing down and speeding up as if it was trying to learn or re-learn the path it was on. From a user standpoint I think the NOA will be even better when the car makes the lane changes for you rather than requiring your input, this part of the experience felt unnatural to me. All-in-all I think NOA is nice upgrade.

SOB...…..reading all of your posts about getting the 2nd update makes me sad I still don't have the update to even 42.1...still on 39.7 (M3, RWDLR).
I bet you'll get it in the next day or so. 42.3 is going out very rapidly, and is already on 30% of the Model 3 fleet, per TeslaFi. I went from 40.1 to 42.3 this morning.

SOB...…..reading all of your posts about getting the 2nd update makes me sad I still don't have the update to even 42.1...still on 39.7 (M3, RWDLR).
I went from 39.7 to 42.3 this am. I was wondering if I would ever get 42.1 and then turns out it was worth waiting and I got 42.3. Reading the forums just makes us antsy. We shouldn't worry about updates until say... we become a month behind (or more).

• At this one particular interchange I traverse every day, autopilot never had a problem before. It would proceed normally from a 50mph section of highway, through the interchange, and onto the new 50mph section of highway, all the time maintaining a speed between 50-55. However, with NOA engage, the car slowed down significantly on the interchange, to about 40mph when it first entered, then fluttered back and forth between 40-50, with no car in front of me. I almost got rear-ended when the car first slowed down. Once the interchange was complete, the car went back to 55 as normal. Not sure if this is bad map data, or some new cautious algorithm when traversing interchanges. In NYC though, slowing down like that can be the worst option in a lot of scenarios.
For me, this was the case going back to 40.1, not new on 42.3. On an interchange ramp from South I-101 to South I-85 it would drop from 75 to 60 to 50 then sped up back up to 75 after the connector ramp. This would happen regardless of the traffic condition, no car in front or behind, or with cars in front and back. A little discerning how it handles ramps.

Drove 100km this morning.
The release note just mentioned the keyfob and Regen. No NoA.

A bit disappointed. Having paid for EAP and don't even have summon and NoA.
You may need to talk to Tesla support if you do not have Summon at this point, its been on all the cars for some time. NoA is on 42.3 but you have to turn it on.

Reactions: babula
Got 42.3 last night, release notes mention NoA and key fob, but nothing about regen? it's a dual motor so is the regen upgrade only on RWD?

Also noticed the phone key was much more responsive, instantly woke up when I wen to open the door. Did this several times in a row (walked away, it locked, came back unlocked) whereas before it was maybe 25% of the time, meaning 75% of the time I'd stand there like an idiot for about 10 seconds with the door handle pulled out waiting for it to unlock.

You may need to talk to Tesla support if you do not have Summon at this point, its been on all the cars for some time. NoA is on 42.3 but you have to turn it on.
He's in Canada. Both Nav on EAP and Summon require different levels of validation and Tesla is currently unable to release those in Canada.

Reactions: Reliev
Discussion starter · #58 ·
Got 42.3 last night, release notes mention NoA and key fob, but nothing about regen? it's a dual motor so is the regen upgrade only on RWD?
Yes, that appears to be the case -- regen update is for RWD only.

Reactions: Thunderbolt_M3
I went from 39.7 to 42.3 this morning.

One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned, when on NOA the steering wheel nag went directly to an audible warning, not just visual. There goes my streak of never having heard the audible warning.

Another that may be my imagination, I feel like it takes less of a tug to disengage autosteer.

Backing up a couple other observations seen on this thread:

- I was very impressed with the merges. One was aborted as the car behind sped up a little, but other than that it waited for the right moment, and merged with about the same aggressiveness that I would have. It slipped into a spot that was about 50% longer than the car, which really surprised and impressed me. As noted for 42.2, it does sometimes slow on merge where I would speed up, but I also noticed it speed up several times, maybe this is an improvement for 42.3.
- Definitely there's something wrong with the following distance. Set at "1" the car stayed way back for a long time, at a distance I would associate with "7". When I set it to "7" and someone merged less than a car length ahead, the car never really slowed enough to increase the gap to more than a car length.
- Lane tracking seems to have degraded a little, but no big deal. Going around a cloverleaf reminded me of a lego mindstorms line-tracker - jiggling back and forth rapidly.

On the whole I would say I was a little more stressed than on plain autosteer, but this may just be me getting used to it. I'll still be a good Tesla civilian and use it as often as I can so Tesla gets good data! I feel like we are so close to onramp-to-offramp. And this is so cool and so close to what I need, I'm wondering now if I should have saved the money that I spent on FSD :)

41 - 60 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.