Firmware build v8.1 2018.28.5 377ec8b (8/13/2018)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to Teslafi, Jarvis slept 6 hours last night. That’s the first good night sleep he’s gotten in a week. Charging was also recycling every few minutes and I woke up to dozens of “charging started” notifications on my phone. That also seems to have cleared up too.

I had overheat protection off last night but will turn it on tonight.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The most annoying bug was the fact that the washer and brake fluid alerts would be on (most of the time) for the first minute of driving. It didn't happen today, but I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days. I've almost gotten used to ignoring any "warning lights" at startup.

I also had some issues with the rearview camera staying black for the first 1-5 seconds. Once the camera never showed up -- so I had to look over my shoulder like a sucker. That might have been fixed in 28.4 per some other commenters.

The last one that I can think of right now is something that happens very rarely (but is quite obnoxious). The radio would cut out briefly, followed by a loud, annoying buzz. Time will tell if the 28.x updates fixed that, too.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The most annoying bug was the fact that the washer and brake fluid alerts would be on (most of the time) for the first minute of driving. It didn't happen today, but I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days. I've almost gotten used to ignoring any "warning lights" at startup.

I also had some issues with the rearview camera staying black for the first 1-5 seconds. Once the camera never showed up -- so I had to look over my shoulder like a sucker. That might have been fixed in 28.4 per some other commenters.

The last one that I can think of right now is something that happens very rarely (but is quite obnoxious). The radio would cut out briefly, followed by a loud, annoying buzz. Time will tell if the 28.x updates fixed that, too.
Humm can't say I've personally experienced any of those.

I am on 26.3. how do I get this update?
You just sit back and wait... ;) If it's a good update it will flow freely and quickly to all!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Humm can't say I've personally experienced any of those.
Oh yeah, I'm thinking of a few other things I've experienced in the first 6 weeks of ownership...

I've had issues where pressing the Homelink button didn't do anything. I had to reset the display to get that to work (and to close my garage door).

My phone key is unreliable (using my LG phone). I hear that iPhone users have more luck with it, but I can count on my doors being unlocked by my phone maybe 85% of the time. And it always knows when I'm showing a friend how cool it is. :)

And it's not 100% of the time, but sometimes when I close my door, the A/C and radio cut out and restart.

In the grand scheme of things, these are all small... but with every software update I hope they diminish.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh yeah, I'm thinking of a few other things I've experienced in the first 6 weeks of ownership...

I've had issues where pressing the Homelink button didn't do anything. I had to reset the display to get that to work (and to close my garage door).

My phone key is unreliable (using my LG phone). I hear that iPhone users have more luck with it, but I can count on my doors being unlocked by my phone maybe 85% of the time. And it always knows when I'm showing a friend how cool it is. :)

And it's not 100% of the time, but sometimes when I close my door, the A/C and radio cut out and restart.

In the grand scheme of things, these are all small... but with every software update I hope they diminish.

I've had a few Homelink "auto-close" misses, but it's always worked manually by pressing the icon.

My iPhone 8 works on the first try as a key I would say 60% of the time, and I don't think it's a car issue rather the phone not continually sending BT data because as soon as I wake the screen in those cases it works 100%.

Besides that 28.1 has not been TeslaFi friendly for me, bunch of "Offline" messages and the car does not sleep as it would on 24.7... looks like this might be fixed in 28.5

*** On 28.5 now @ lucky 777 miles ***

Attachments

Last edited:

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this problem occasionally when I closed the door as I was sitting down. Apparently the seat sensor hasn't picked up an occupant yet so it shuts down briefly. Once I started consciously sitting down prior to closing the door several weeks ago, I haven't had this problem again.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@itsnorm is that from cheers? loved the show. anyway, turn off doze on your app settings for Android.
go to settings
applications
scroll down to Tesla
and make sure it says "not optimized"
this might be under a further window under "manage battery usage" also.
it used to do this to me and it's been night and day since I've done this. sometimes when my phone has been asleep for a while I have to wake it up in order for the key to work but 99% of the time it now works when it didn't before I adjusted this setting. Whats funny is when it upgraded to 9.0 the other day it actually reset the app setting to turn off again it was weird but all is good now again.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@itsnorm is that from cheers? loved the show. anyway, turn off doze on your app settings for Android.
go to settings
applications
scroll down to Tesla
and make sure it says "not optimized"
this might be under a further window under "manage battery usage" also.
it used to do this to me and it's been night and day since I've done this. sometimes when my phone has been asleep for a while I have to wake it up in order for the key to work but 99% of the time it now works when it didn't before I adjusted this setting. Whats funny is when it upgraded to 9.0 the other day it actually reset the app setting to turn off again it was weird but all is good now again.
Thanks for the help. My version of Android might be different, but I think I've turned off all battery optimizations. I still get an occasional "Tap card" message.

Under the App settings, I went into Battery usage and "Background Activity" (Allow app to run in background when not in use) is on, and it is listed on the "Power Saving Exclusions" as Excluded.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't remember who has the same phone as you the guy with the beard and his arms crossed for his picture he might know.
I know Samsung does their own version of android with a layer over the top you are probably right but I'm not sure. I haven't used a Samsung since the droid.

Chris350

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was hoping that they would make the rear camera clearer.... At night is is so grainy.... and even shows areas with video noise (green and pink).... Every distracting when having to use it at night...

Babar Batla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got 28.5 pushed to me by mobile tech. He wanted to see if it fixes my issue with some steaming channels not sticking in favorites. Tested one channel and it sticked. Let’s see if that fixes it. He suggested he comes out to do hard reset, but perhaps that is not needed.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So just to update my experiences so far on 28.5 1-day post install... and after a double reset just to try to clear things:
  • iPhone 8 as a key still had a miss for me yesterday...waking the screen solved it.
  • Still getting "Open App" messages via iOS widget and "Offline" TeslaFi.
  • Car still not sleeping routinely during the day as it did on 24.7 :(
  • Car slept and charged fine last night while plugged in, no cycling issues.
  • Auto-wipers seem to be improved.
  • NAV screen no longer zooms in on each start/drive as it did on previous software.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also just got this update from 28.1. Hope it solves the battery drain I started noticing after getting that update from 21.9. Could be the overheat protection causing this, but the car is usually in an underground parking garage or in the garage at home, so I don't think that's it.