Firmware Build 2018.26.1 62e5afa (7/20/18)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I had 26.1 pushed out and it started and then said could not complete. So got it again and same result. Service Center says come in and we will watch it update. Whoops! Same result! So they say we gotta find out about this and we will call you. That night (always start at midnight) I charged to 186 and, of course, the start time, end time and miles show up on my Iphone when I get up. I go out to the car and there is 179 miles showing. Where the heck is my 7 miles????? Service center opens at 8 AM and at 8:01 I get a call saying they have determined that my SD card is bad. SD card! They tell me that Tesla firmware updates are done exactly the same as cell phones which down loads updates into memory and THEN the update begins, which I knew!

HERE IS WHAT I THINK (and I'm sticking to it). The 7 miles I lost between 2:30 AM and sometime later, the Tesla Technician Gods analyzed my car and found the problem. The SD card is, of course, a memory card and it has arrived and will be installed Saturday July 28th along with the firmware update. I'll be beeping sometime in the morning!!!!!!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I had 26.1 pushed out and it started and then said could not complete. So got it again and same result. Service Center says come in and we will watch it update. Whoops! Same result! So they say we gotta find out about this and we will call you. That night (always start at midnight) I charged to 186 and, of course, the start time, end time and miles show up on my Iphone when I get up. I go out to the car and there is 179 miles showing. Where the heck is my 7 miles????? Service center opens at 8 AM and at 8:01 I get a call saying they have determined that my SD card is bad. SD card! They tell me that Tesla firmware updates are done exactly the same as cell phones which down loads updates into memory and THEN the update begins, which I knew!

HERE IS WHAT I THINK (and I'm sticking to it). The 7 miles I lost between 2:30 AM and sometime later, the Tesla Technician Gods analyzed my car and found the problem. The SD card is, of course, a memory card and it has arrived and will be installed Saturday July 28th along with the firmware update. I'll be beeping sometime in the morning!!!!!!
I wouldn’t bother this update was pulled 26.3 is already out.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am still on 21.9. When do you think I might be updated to the new firmware?
To be sure, updates are not rolled out to all cars at the same time.

You can always go to your Service Center and ask them to push it. You'll get it within 24 hours. But, I've learned that waiting usually means you benefit from a small group of other owners working through any bugs.

From my experience, you may wait a month or more from your last update, but it's certainly not just determined by time. Your connectivity on the AT&T cellular network the car uses affects it too.

At least, once you get 2018.24.X or later, you can add your Model 3 to your own WiFi at home!

Last edited:

fusor2000

Country
Country
To be sure, updates are not rolled out to all cars at the same time.

You can always go to your Service Center and ask them to push it. You'll get it within 24 hours. But, I've learned that waiting usually means you benefit from a small group of other owners working through any bugs.

From my experience, you may wait a month or more from your last update, but it's certainly not just determined by time. Your connectivity on the AT&T cellular network the car uses affects it too.

At least, once you get 2018.24.X or later, you can add your Model 3 to your own WiFi at home!
Thank you. Called service, stated they will push it out in Monday. We shall see.

CrunchyLumpia

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I've been on this firmware, I've noticed that my vampire drain has been a lot more. Just this past weekend, I lost about 10 miles of range. I am not running any third party apps like Tezlab, so I'm not certain what else could be the issue. Anyone else experiencing the same type of drain?

G0GR33N

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I've been on this firmware, I've noticed that my vampire drain has been a lot more. Just this past weekend, I lost about 10 miles of range. I am not running any third party apps like Tezlab, so I'm not certain what else could be the issue. Anyone else experiencing the same type of drain?
I think it is because of the excessive heat. By any chance do you have "Cabin Overheat Protection" on with AC? And is the weather getting too hot during the day? If your answer is yes to both the questions, then it is a feature keeping your car cool :). I am on this version and hot days I do loose quiet a few miles.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I just got 26.3 about six hours ago (from 21.9) and I can already tell my vampire drain has gone up, plus I now have a constant background "fan" (?) type noise, even with car and phone off.........

My cabin overheat is off.........

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm in Florida garaged and I'm losing about ~1-3 miles a day vs 1 but I have overheat protection on non-ac mode
On very hot days, don't assume you will use less electricity with A/C off (fan only) vs. A/C on. The variable speed A/C compressor motor will run at the most efficient speed and cycle off as soon as the target temperature is reached. The fan only method just blows hot air into the cabin and may run a lot longer without A/C on if it's really hot out.

I think the Fan only mode is likely better for moderate temperatures when the car is sitting in full sun (like under 85 degrees or so). This allows the fan to periodically blow the hot air out and replace it with cooler ambient air. In really hot weather the A/C compressor might make it more efficient by running for a much shorter period of time.

CrunchyLumpia

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it is because of the excessive heat. By any chance do you have "Cabin Overheat Protection" on with AC? And is the weather getting too hot during the day? If your answer is yes to both the questions, then it is a feature keeping your car cool :). I am on this version and hot days I do loose quiet a few miles.
The car was mainly parked in the garage and Cabin Overheat Protection turned off. I'll keep an eye on it more and see if it gets any worse. I was on 24.7 and the drain was only around 2-3 miles per day.

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you. Called service, stated they will push it out in Monday. We shall see.
I called service and they said there is nothing they can do. Updates go out by VIN. Well that seems like some crap, considering I'm still on 18.3. Should I just bring it in and be like, fix it?

CrunchyLumpia

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called service and they said there is nothing they can do. Updates go out by VIN. Well that seems like some crap, considering I'm still on 18.3. Should I just bring it in and be like, fix it?
Have you tried email a different service center? That is what I did and the last two times I’ve asked via email they sent the OTA the same day. Granted, I’m like 150+ miles from the closet service center

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been told updates can take upwards of 2-3 months to make it fleetwide.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I’ve been told updates can take upwards of 2-3 months to make it fleetwide.
Yes. And if Tesla thinks the most recent updates are not fully ready for prime-time, I'm willing to wait. I still feel impatient (because of course I want it) but I'm a fan of software that is stable and solid and have confidence it will roll out widely as soon as it's ready for wide release.

It could be tomorrow or it could be in a few weeks, in any case, it's definitely something to look forward to!