Official Final design is done says Elon

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jeda USB Hub - Tesla Model 3/Y USB Hub

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
LOL, the only people who think that are people who live where pickup trucks are uncommon.

Do people not realize HOW MANY F150's, Silverado 1500's and Ram 1500's are sold every year? And the attitude of most of those buyers toward BEV's?

Will Cybertruck sell surprisingly well? Sure. But #1 selling truck in America?

You Crazy GIF by Steve Harvey TV

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do people not realize HOW MANY F150's, Silverado 1500's and Ram 1500's are sold every year?
And a large portion of full-size truck sales are for chassis-cab configs to businesses (for adding on various third-party beds).
That's a very large portion of the truck market that the cybertruck won't be able to address.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah.

I mean, I get it. If I lived in NorCal, I'd probably think the same thing. But having moved from the NE to Texas, there is a HUGE demographic difference with truck drivers here. They DOMNIATE the automotive landscape. Extrapolate those new sales numbers (on the order of close to a million a year counting all levels of F Series). And realize it's been at that number for DECADES. Somewhere between 750k and a million F series trucks a YEAR for 15-20 YEARS. And that's just one of the big 3. They are ubiquitous. And the average owner is not all that into alternative powertrains.

It should be interesting, though, when Ford rolls out the all Electric F150, and GM (maybe) brings out the Hummer. I'll be interested in seeing what the good ole boys think about that.

• Agree
Reactions: GDN

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It should be interesting, though, when Ford rolls out the all Electric F150, and GM (maybe) brings out the Hummer. I'll be interested in seeing what the good ole boys think about that.
Larger businesses will switch to electric quickly. Total cost of ownership will win them over.

Individuals will follow, mostly starting with those who end up driving those initial electric trucks as work vehicles. The power and torque (and quickness) will be better than anything a combustion vehicle can deliver. Most individuals will generally stick with what they know. They won't switch to electric until they've noticed that several friends/family have switched. It'll take a while to get to that point.

The big question is - will there be enough supply of electric trucks? Rivian is aimed at the high-end luxury market. Cybertruck is priced competitively, but can't accept generic third-party beds or campers. So for a general electric truck replacement, I guess we're waiting for the electric Ford F150, and maybe Lordstown Motors?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And a large portion of full-size truck sales are for chassis-cab configs to businesses (for adding on various third-party beds).
That's a very large portion of the truck market that the cybertruck won't be able to address.

That's precisely what I suggested to Elon on Twitter when he asked for Cybertruck ideas... They're missing out on a LOT of sub-markets doing what they did

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's precisely what I suggested to Elon on Twitter when he asked for Cybertruck ideas... They're missing out on a LOT of sub-markets doing what they did

The problem is that the cybertruck doesn't have a frame. There is no "sled". The bed is an integral part of the exoskeleton.

• Agree
Reactions: jsmay311

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He might’ve meant the number one pre-ordered truck in America. The cyber truck is in more shopping carts than any other truck in history. It’s not that he was at the factory, he was at the studio.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Living in Pickup country and driving one most of my life, I think this truck will get a lot of attention. Every GM, Ford and Dodge owner will be wanting to challenge it. Hence the reason, that if and when I do drive one of my own home it will only be the Tri-Motor. It is just that way.

However my real thoughts about making this post was the F-150 splash I saw a little last week during our winter storm apocalypse. Granted I've not read up enough to know its true capabilities (I do see specs are in this article I just found and will link to below), but I did see stories about the new Ford having the battery/plug in capabilities in the bed and how a few people had used them to power certain appliances at times. Ford apparently told dealers to lend the new ones on the lots out to assist stranded homeowners that needed power. I'll have to dig a little more on those capabilities, but they made news to say the least.

Now - if we'd had a 500 Mile version of the Cybertruck sitting in the garage with 120 and 240 available there would have been some good headlines. Many many did spend time in their Teslas sleeping and just warming up, but it would have been nice if the Truck had been in garages making a big splash with power capabilities too.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-f-150-generator-dealer-loan/

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It feels like years since I placed my order and looking at the same website. One day I guess we will get exact information and a new website.

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I see one in my neighborhood I’m going to be jealous. And I’m not a truck guy ...... the buzz is going to be through the roof.

My nephew put down a deposit (he is in his 20’s) and he isn’t a truck guy. But his dad / my brother is (construction). I really want to see the interplay there. Really curious if my brother will adopt it. He drops $60k+ on ICE trucks so it won’t be a pricing issue.

Reactions: serpico007

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As I see it, like with the other Tesla models, it's going to be hard to beat other manufacturer's "advertised price". I meant that to be specific, because dealers will advertise a low price to get people on the lot, and then sell them something more expensive. So if the Cybertruck is priced honestly somewhere around $50k, a lot of people that want a truck but don't really care which one will go to a Ford or GMC dealer that advertises a starting price of $36k (but then they actually pay $60k).

Reactions: Needsdecaf

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You can be working on a final design without being finished. Would you say looking 👌 if it was finished? I think you would say looks 👌 if it was finished.

Even after it's done in the design studio, they have to do short production runs on an assembly line to make sure there aren't any pain points in the manufacturing process. Then back to the studio to make some adjustments maybe a couple of times, and then a final short production run. That last short run batch is often where the press cars come from, just before actual production starts.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will say that they may be done tweaking the looks and the size, but agree a lot is yet to be done. I've got a year or so to really decide if I'm going to be on board and buy/drive this truck, but reality is if I'm 'IN' then of course I'd like one as soon as my number comes up. However, I know truly inside I don't really want one of these trucks built likely in the first 18 months. That assembly line won't even come online to start to understand the build process for many more months. Then building something so different and new, I think this thing will need a lot of tweaking once they start building. I think easily you could likely say this truck won't be done until after they've been building it for 18 months.

• Agree
Reactions: serpico007

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.