Figured out how autopilot speed is calculated

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Who knew this?

• Total voters

Brian3

Country
Country
When I enable autopilot the car usually increases speed to something higher than the speed limit.

When driving 65 in a 70 zone, the car would accelerate to 81 when I activated AP. That seemed very odd to me, but today I figured out what's going on.

You all probably already know this.

I had set a speed warning chime. I set it to +11 mph. After a while I fell out of love with the warning chime and disabled it... But it still remembers having been set to +11 mph.

That is why the car chooses to accelerate to 81 when I'm in a 70 zone.

To fix this I had to enable the warning chime again so that I could change the value. I set it to +5 mph, then disabled it again.

Now in a 70 zone the car will only accelerate to 75.

I'm happy to have figured that out. I was always hard pressed to explain why the car lurched forward while activating AP.

I also happen to know that if you first activate adaptive cruise control (one flip up or down on the stalk) that cruise will commence at your current speed. That's nice. If you then activate AP, it will stay set at your current speed.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I enable autopilot the car usually increases speed to something higher than the speed limit.

When driving 65 in a 70 zone, the car would accelerate to 81 when I activated AP. That seemed very odd to me, but today I figured out what's going on.

You all probably already know this.

I had set a speed warning chime. I set it to +11 mph. After a while I fell out of love with the warning chime and disabled it... But it still remembers having been set to +11 mph.

That is why the car chooses to accelerate to 81 when I'm in a 70 zone.

To fix this I had to enable the warning chime again so that I could change the value. I set it to +5 mph, then disabled it again.

Now in a 70 zone the car will only accelerate to 75.

I'm happy to have figured that out. I was always hard pressed to explain why the car lurched forward while activating AP.

I also happen to know that if you first activate adaptive cruise control (one flip up or down on the stalk) that cruise will commence at your current speed. That's nice. If you then activate AP, it will stay set at your current speed.
I just want to reply out of respect for the poll vote option “I disagree with the claim.” Love it for some reason. 😂😍😃

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The limit you set in your warning is your speed assist offset. They happen to use that same speed as a chime or not. You don't need the chime set to change your relative offset for speed assist.
I agree with Frully. @Brian3, I think you were a little confused about what you were configuring.

"Speed Limit" is not a subsection under "Speed Limit Warning". But the arrangement is a bit confusing.

1569150289409-png.29269

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When driving 65 in a 70 zone, the car would accelerate to 81 when I activated AP.
Okay, I really want to understand how this works because it seems the maps in my area are quite outdated and many of the speed limits are wrong. However, no matter what I set for "Speed Limit Relative" I can't get it to do more than 5 MPH over the speed limit on city streets. Are you only talking about on the highway?

These seem to be two hard-set rules for me that cannot be superseded:

1. City Streets: Never exceed speed limit (according to the map software) by more than 5 MPH.
  2. Highway: Never exceed 90 MPH.

Are those true for everyone else as well?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These seem to be two hard-set rules for me that cannot be superseded:

1. City Streets: Never exceed speed limit (according to the map software) by more than 5 MPH.
  2. Highway: Never exceed 90 MPH.

Are those true for everyone else as well?
That is exactly correct.