Official Fighting Tesla Myths for everyone

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As many of you have experienced incredible myths about Tesla when taking to the public, which is incredibly frustrating, the great guys over at CleanTechnica have created a new Tesla Myths page with lots of information on what is commonly circulating on the internet and thus in peoples minds.

I highly encourage you to reach the article to help you dispel the myths people often repeat when you talk to them.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/23/our-new-tesla-myths-page/

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The myth I encounter most often when people ask me about my car is..."wow, how can you afford it? Isn't that like $100,000?"

So the word about the Model 3 is getting around, but it's firmly attached to a myth about it being priced alongside the Model S. People are usually very surprised when I tell them the shorter range model is about $38,000.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nicely put together and great for prospective buyers and owners alike!

As a quick sidenote related to this: I don't know about everyone else, but when in conversation with friends and family, I'm often asked where I get my information while dispelling these myths to them. Most times these myth dispelling, EV promoting articles come from sites like cleantechnica, electrek, insideevs, etc. Sending them a link to one of those sites as a reference doesn't inspire much confidence because they can immediately tell these are EV biased sites - regardless of if they're doing good and honest reporting or not. It's much more impactful when this type of article comes from more general news properties like NYT, WSJ, USA Today, etc.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's much more impactful when this type of article comes from more general news properties like NYT, WSJ, USA Today, etc.
I agree. Unfortunately, I haven't found such an article from the mainstream yet. And yes, that's kind of sad. I guess that dispelling myths doesn't get clicks.

This article is kind of nice, from a mostly-anti-Tesla website. It basically praises Tesla cars while throwing Musk under the bus (as well as Tesla the company to some extent). And TheDrive is not exactly a "mainstream" publication. But that's all fine. This is the kind of article that will help convince non-fanboys to take a look at and consider buying a Tesla.

How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Buy A Tesla

FogNoggin

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The myth I encounter most often when people ask me about my car is..."wow, how can you afford it? Isn't that like $100,000?"

So the word about the Model 3 is getting around, but it's firmly attached to a myth about it being priced alongside the Model S. People are usually very surprised when I tell them the shorter range model is about $38,000.
This the biggest issue I've had. People I've known forever now look at me as though I'm wealthy. If I'd bought a Camry, they'd barely notice.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I think you will find, with respect to Telsas or any thing else in life, that most people are ruled by confirmation bias. If someone has it in his head that BEV's produce more carbon that ICE it is unlikely that pointing out that you charge from solar panels or get your electricity from Quebec Hydro will change his mind.

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This the biggest issue I've had. People I've known forever now look at me as though I'm wealthy. If I'd bought a Camry, they'd barely notice.
Even funnier, they'd barely notice if you bought a Chevy Tahoe and parked it in their driveway, aside from "oh, you got a new SUV, congrats". Mid-range equipped, the Tahoe costs almost twice as much as the SR Model 3, and it's more than the Model 3 Performance.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As many of you have experienced incredible myths about Tesla when taking to the public, which is incredibly frustrating, the great guys over at CleanTechnica have created a new Tesla Myths page with lots of information on what is commonly circulating on the internet and thus in peoples minds.

I highly encourage you to reach the article to help you dispel the myths people often repeat when you talk to them.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/23/our-new-tesla-myths-page/
Well, sure, this counters the "untrue Tesla myths," but who will fight the true Tesla myths? :eek:
#DepartmentofRedundancyDepartment

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, sure, this counters the "untrue Tesla myths," but who will fight the true Tesla myths? :eek:
The most often repeated myth on that list is that Tesla won't be around much longer, and if you buy a car from them, you'll be stuck with a worthless and unserviceable car.

I watched Tesla through its worst times (2017-2018 range) and it did not behave like a dying company. It was a little worrying when they laid off a bunch of people and threatened to close stores, but looking back that seems more like a pre-emptive efficiency move that went wrong. But they never closed manufacturing facilities, they never cut back production or cancelled upcoming models, never eliminated existing models, and never announced a massive parts outsourcing effort, never closed factories and announced that they're going to start making most of their cars overseas because it's no longer viable to make them here. And never announced that personal car ownership is going to be a thing of the past for all but the rich, and they need to move to fleet ownership and contract taxi service to keep up.

You know who is doing every one of those things? General Motors. They have displayed every single sign of a dying company. They're closing and selling off assets to pay off debt! That's a scary sign for any company. And yet the stock market experts and market predictions all say GM will rake in huge fortunes, and Tesla is going to go away.

I don't see the logic in that.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recommend this thread for sticky status! Loving that others are adding even more info/links/videos they've found useful to it as well. I'm definitely putting this thread on WATCH, saving the link as a favorite and saving the CleanTechnica article @TrevP linked for us (man, they do great work over there!)
I plan to use all this informational power accordingly... FOR JUSTICE!!!!

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Haha! Years ago, deep inside a government facility, someone had made a sign over the entrance to a large office area with the same sign “Department of Redundancy Department” :cool: