FAQ: Checklist of Premium Upgrade (PUP) vs Standard features

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
at @Neoforce's suggestion, a placeholder thread to compare the standard interior to the PUP interior cars. If you have additional questions on the differences, please reply and I'll add them to the first post for future owners with standard cars to answer for us.

❑ What replaces the "open pore wood décor"?
❑ What is the seating fabric?
❑ Front seat heaters only in Standard?
❑ Does non-PUP include heated rear seats?
❑ Differences between "open storage" (standard) and "covered storage" (PUP)
❑ Differences between "two USB ports" (standard) and "docking for two smartphones" (PUP)
❑ PUP includes "12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles" Are controls the same In Standard package just no custom driver profile? Or are there different controls?
❑ Side mirrors can be manually folded?
❑ Audio differences of "more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer" (PUP) vs standard.
❑ Side by side picture of back seat vents. Assume two manual vents (standard) vs two manual vents with two rear USBs (PUP)
❑ Side by side Picture showing "LED fog lamps" (PUP) vs no fog lamps (standard)
❑ Side by side Pictures (exterior and from interior) of Tinted glass roof (PUP) vs standard roof

Last edited:
Country
Country
I just did a ctrl-F search in the newest user manual PDF and I think I've found some answers to our questions.

• Pg. 7 - Mirrors won't auto-fold (maybe no motors)
  • Pg. 16 - Both "Center Console" and "USB Ports" sub-headings include "-Premium Package" at the end. Unclear what this really means other than something will be different.
  • Pg. 17 - No back of front seats storage pockets
  • Pg. 18 - Related to seat adjustment, not clear if it will be fully manual or just not the full 12 way adjustments
  • Pg. 35 - Steering wheel position adjustment section. Maybe manually adjusted in non-PUP? Hopefully not fixed
  • Pg. 38 - No side mirror heaters, no mirror auto-tilt
  • Pg. 45 - No "signature lights" on edge of headlights, no fog lights
  • Pg. 85 - Seems to confirm front seats will be heated
  • Pg. 159 - In the index only Lumbar adjustment has a "premium" tag, maybe the non-pup seats will still be power adjusting, but only 6 or 8 way

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
with some of the other Tesla site updates, it looks like they have updated what is included with the standard interior now too:

View attachment 16300
Interesting.
  • I thought for sure that they were just going to make the glass roof standard on all cars, but it looks like they plan to stick with a metal roof for the base car.
  • I thought the base car would still get heated seats. I guess I was wrong.
  • No power seats for the base car! If you're the only one who drives the car, not a big deal. But otherwise, that can be a pain to deal with.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What does Premium Connectivity get you? How is it different than In-car streaming media?
it is the actual cellular signal that allows for the streaming media. Those without likely will need to pay a subscription fee to have access to the cellular signal.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So if I bought the premium interior I have it , but only for one year, and then I will have to subscribe?

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since I'm confused about it, please add the answer to "What is PUP?"

I thought the acronym expanded to "Performance upgrade package" - mentioned in connection with the Model 3 Performance, once extra but recently included - but it seems to refer here to the Premium version we're all getting.

On my hands and knees, I beg anyone working on FAQs to foreswear acronyms. Oops, I mean frequently asked questions.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Title fixed. :)
I thought the acronym expanded to "Performance upgrade package"
Hopefully that usage will die now that it's no longer a separate package.
Tesla had originally called it the Performance Upgrade Option, so I was trying to push PUO to differentiate it from PUP, but that was like trying to herd cats.

Now I suggest we just call the other non-performance-upgrade-optioned cars the "Stealth Performance Package": SPP. :D

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you! Thank you for confirming that my confusion was not due to brain damage from exposure to strong EMF. I mean, electro-magnetic fields.

FAQs are great, but FAQs are ambitious undertakings, both to create and maintain. For one of my (old) cars, a successful approach has been a somewhat random accumulation of notes from knowledgeable people on various subjects, kept in a sticky thread titled "New Visitors - please read".

E.V.Texan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I thought the acronym expanded to "Performance upgrade package" - mentioned in connection with the Model 3 Performance, once extra but recently included - but it seems to refer here to the Premium version we're all getting.

On my hands and knees, I beg anyone working on FAQs to foreswear acronyms. Oops, I mean frequently asked questions.
I thought I was the only moron who is confused about the meaning of these acronyms. Oops,,,,,,,,,,, ADK46 I didn't mean to imply that you were as intellectually challenged as I am. How come people can write page long Q&A 's, but can't take the time to spell out a few extra words?

But, does anyone have a list of the many acronyms that are used so often? Here's a couple I still haven't figured out.
BMS, and MSM.

Please help? I'm also on my H&K.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought I was the only moron who is confused about the meaning of these acronyms. Oops,,,,,,,,,,, ADK46 I didn't mean to imply that you were as intellectually challenged as I am. How come people can write page long Q&A 's, but can't take the time to spell out a few extra words?

But, does anyone have a list of the many acronyms that are used so often? Here's a couple I still haven't figured out.
BMS, and MSM.

Please help? I'm also on my H&K.
there is an extensive list of acronyms HERE

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, with SR deliveries happening this weekend, I thought I'd start a thread so we can get reports on just exactly what is software limited on the SR now.

From the PR:

1) Streaming Music (I'm pretty sure that was not even included in SR+ before)
2) Live navigation
3) heated seats (just back? or front?
4) Range
5) Anything else?

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Other than the official feature comparison chart from Tesla, have you noticed any other features that are not enabled? Here's a few that I found:

1) Vanity mirrors on sun visors appear to have LED lighting, but do not turn on.
2) Footwell lights are there and plugged in, but do not turn on.

Do you know of any other features disabled for the SR+ that Tesla didn't disclose?