Exxon CEO up for Secretary of State

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He does agree with the concept of AGW and also backs the need for a carbon tax to deal with it.

IMHO, I think he sees the writing on the wall based on the amount of stock buy back:

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/ExxonMobil-Is-Digging-Its-Own-Grave.html

But, who really knows......
Oil companies aren't stupid. So they must see by now that they need to change or they will die.
It's up to them if they want to see.

I think it would be clever if fossil energy companies would change drastically. Taking a decade of losses, to transform themselves into sustainable energy companies.

Shell sees, but has decided to prolong it's current sales model as long as possible. Do just small investments in sustainable. They plan to die, it seems.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Shell is not so cut and dry.

I know that starting in 2017, their governance includes capturing the concept of stranded assets (to meet the 2.0C temp rise limit).

I also saw this today:

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/1...wind-price-700-mw-borssele-iii-iv-wind-farms/
I qualified the Borssele wind project under the small Investments. It's very marginal in the Shell budget.

Yes, they have a governance code with beautiful words about their sustainable aspirations. But those are not more than words. Shell is still intent on utilising all the fossil sources they invested in. The plans how to stay below 2 degrees are very vague.

They see, but don't act.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I qualified the Borssele wind project under the small Investments. It's very marginal in the Shell budget.

Yes, they have a governance code with beautiful words about their sustainable aspirations. But those are not more than words. Shell is still intent on utilising all the fossil sources they invested in. The plans how to stay below 2 degrees are very vague.

They see, but don't act.
I just noticed you are from the Netherlands, so I'll defer to you on detailed local knowledge regarding Shell and their policies.

Let's hope the price per barrel remains too low for marginal production sources to be exploited.