Extremely Last Minute Delivery Rescheduling

xijio

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had an appointment for tomorrow (4/24) delivery at 11am. I moved about 4 meetings and took the day off work, told all my coworkers, friends and family and had arranged for a friend to go for a ride after pickup. Tonight at 5:04 PM PST I get a call from my rep on the Model 3 team that went something like this:

Mathew: "Hi this is Mathew from the Model 3 team, am I speaking with Marshall?"
Me: "This is Marshall what's up?"
Mathew: "Hey I'm just calling because I heard you're postponing your delivery?"
Me: "What? Now way! I have no idea what you're talking about, I plan to pick up tomorrow at 11 as planned"
Mathew: "Hmm it says in my notes that the delivery center contacted you and you asked to be rescheduled"
Me: "This is the first I'm hearing of this, I never asked to be rescheduled, I haven't ever even talked to the delivery center... I plan on picking it up tomorrow as we agreed weeks ago"
Mathew: "Hmm let me call the delivery center and see what's going on"
Me: "Okay let me know"

After this call I went on my Tesla account and noticed my delivery had moved to Friday. So at this point I just kind of expected the worst.

I waited a few minutes and Mathew called me back at 5:14 PM PST.

Mathew: "I just called the delivery center and they said the car is still in transportation and will not be ready for picup tomorrow. We can do Friday or Saturday."
Me: "Wow that's really short notice, I moved all my meetings, took the day off work, cancelled my insurance on my trade in effective tomorrow and you guys cancel on me less than 17 hours before my appointment"
Mathew: "We're really sorry for the inconvenience."
Me: "I am planning to be out of town fri-sun this weekend for my dad's 70th birthday party, can I do Thursday instead?"
Mathew: "No, the vehicle won't be ready until Friday.
Me: "Fine I'll change my trip plans and leave a day late"
Mathew: "Sorry about all this, I told you as soon as I knew"

All quotes are paraphrased.

I'm kinda miffed. I mean I've waited 2 years for this thing, so what's a couple more days. That's not the issue. The issue is if my car is actually 3 days away, that means they've know that for at least 3 days and instead of letting me know with time to make alternate plans, they tell me outside of working hours the night before i'm supposed to take delivery.

And on top of that, it started out with some crap about it being my idea to postpone. Like the left hand REALLY doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It just looks so unprofessional.

So now I am scrambling to get my insurance turned back on, reschedule all my Friday meetings on short notice, inform my friend that tomorrows plans to ride around and I have to get gas one last time (I thought I was done w/ that :p).

I'm a first time Tesla owner and right now i'm not feeling the best about the customer service. It feels like I'm dealing with a shady used car dealership, not a highly respected company

Anyway, thought I'd share. It isn't the end of the world, but it definitely bummed me out some!

gilscales

Country
Country
I had an appointment for tomorrow (4/24) delivery at 11am. I moved about 4 meetings and took the day off work, told all my coworkers, friends and family and had arranged for a friend to go for a ride after pickup. Tonight at 5:04 PM PST I get a call from my rep on the Model 3 team that went something like this:

Mathew: "Hi this is Mathew from the Model 3 team, am I speaking with Marshall?"
Me: "This is Marshall what's up?"
Mathew: "Hey I'm just calling because I heard you're postponing your delivery?"
Me: "What? Now way! I have no idea what you're talking about, I plan to pick up tomorrow at 11 as planned"
Mathew: "Hmm it says in my notes that the delivery center contacted you and you asked to be rescheduled"
Me: "This is the first I'm hearing of this, I never asked to be rescheduled, I haven't ever even talked to the delivery center... I plan on picking it up tomorrow as we agreed weeks ago"
Mathew: "Hmm let me call the delivery center and see what's going on"
Me: "Okay let me know"

After this call I went on my Tesla account and noticed my delivery had moved to Friday. So at this point I just kind of expected the worst.

I waited a few minutes and Mathew called me back at 5:14 PM PST.

Mathew: "I just called the delivery center and they said the car is still in transportation and will not be ready for picup tomorrow. We can do Friday or Saturday."
Me: "Wow that's really short notice, I moved all my meetings, took the day off work, cancelled my insurance on my trade in effective tomorrow and you guys cancel on me less than 17 hours before my appointment"
Mathew: "We're really sorry for the inconvenience."
Me: "I am planning to be out of town fri-sun this weekend for my dad's 70th birthday party, can I do Thursday instead?"
Mathew: "No, the vehicle won't be ready until Friday.
Me: "Fine I'll change my trip plans and leave a day late"
Mathew: "Sorry about all this, I told you as soon as I knew"

All quotes are paraphrased.

I'm kinda miffed. I mean I've waited 2 years for this thing, so what's a couple more days. That's not the issue. The issue is if my car is actually 3 days away, that means they've know that for at least 3 days and instead of letting me know with time to make alternate plans, they tell me outside of working hours the night before i'm supposed to take delivery.

And on top of that, it started out with some crap about it being my idea to postpone. Like the left hand REALLY doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It just looks so unprofessional.

So now I am scrambling to get my insurance turned back on, reschedule all my Friday meetings on short notice, inform my friend that tomorrows plans to ride around and I have to get gas one last time (I thought I was done w/ that :p).

I'm a first time Tesla owner and right now i'm not feeling the best about the customer service. It feels like I'm dealing with a shady used car dealership, not a highly respected company

Anyway, thought I'd share. It isn't the end of the world, but it definitely bummed me out some!

I was scheduled for 4/24 as well, got the call the car did not arrive and tried to reschedule for 4/30, I told him i'll be out of town till 5/6 so he said he would see where we were in a couple of days and let me know, my page shows no delivery date at this point.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I fear this probably gets worse before it gets better. A ripple effect of production hell is producing more cars than ever and subsequently having to accomplish everything that comes after production — QC, transportion, QC again, detailing, and delivery. All while trying to store cars for as short a time as possible.

Last edited:

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It feels like I'm dealing with a shady used car dealership, not a highly respected company
Highly respected by us. Admired by us. We are a small sample of the population here.

This is exactly why there is a general skepticism and cynicism in regards to Tesla. This is also a by-product of the rapid expansion. Tesla will have to overcome this in order to achieve their goals.

We can help by offering constructive feedback and holding them accountable to the high standards they claim and we usually see. Giving them a pass on bad service or shoddy work hurts Tesla as well as our own personal credibility when advocating or promoting Tesla products.

Last edited:

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Might just be me but I've never had a car delivery go smoothly from a traditional dealer either. When I got my Leaf last year they leased me the car, did the paperwork and 15 days later said they couldn't find one and I was on my own. I found one 300km away, made the same deal and got it. Next day charge port fails and I wait 15 days for a repair while the dealerships argue over who is ordering the part. Cars in general are a nightmare.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is always disappointing, but the coordination and scheduling of this number of vehicles is a bit crazy. The logistics of even just 2000 cars a week, tracking them into big lots, then scheduling for train or 8 at a time on a truck to a delivery center and then that location not having any control over the trucking, but yet also not having room to store more than a few dozen cars, it's a finely detailed dance, that isn't happening just too well yet.

Here's to hoping they have a plan to make it better, but I'm not sure why they even try to schedule before the car is on the ground at the delivery center. I figure most every one of us will do everything in our power to make the earliest time we can to get there and can make an appointment within 24 to 48 hours.