Extreme tire wear

RatThings

Country
Country
Had my first tire rotation today and found that both my front tires were very worn on the inside side and almost new on the outside side. The mechanic suggested there might be more going on than just a very bad alignment. I took the first available appt, May 3rd.
59568992-D5D8-4D02-9FB0-79D56F67466D.jpeg

RatThings

Country
Country
According to Tesla's Highland Park Illinois service department the uneven wear was due to waiting too long to get the tires rotated (performed at 8600 miles rather than 6500 miles), my "spirited" driving and the weight of the car. The alignment was fine according to them. They said that pushing these heavy cars hard in and out of curves causes the standard tires they come with to have excessive and uneven wear. They recommended timely rotations and purchasing performance tires if I plan to continue my "spirited" driving. Last week I moved from WI to Asheville NC in part to have more fun roads to drive (I'm just 2 hours from Tail of the Dragon). I guess I'll be spending the money I save not having regular ICE car maintenance on performance tires. And that's okay. It's so worth it.

PaulK

Country
Country
I’ve been periodically measuring my tread depth with a micrometer. Like you, I often drive the car a bit hard. However, my tread wear is pretty even across each tire with the exception of my front right tire. That one is wearing more quickly on the inside.

I called my SC about it, and like you they blamed my lack of rotations. I think this is BS.

If I had have rotated earlier, the wear would have been masked. Less detectable spread out across two tires instead of noticeable on one.

I might just pay for an alignment at a local tire shop, if I can find one that is familiar with the Model 3.