Extra Door Seals to Reduce Noise and Keep Sills Clean

Pastammi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPDATE: Here is a link for a well-reviewed complete seal kit.

So, there has been a discussion on the other Tesla forum where someone posted a DIY for installing additional seals on all four doors....
_______

Here is my noise measurement results before and after door rubber seal and door panel sound insulation. The rubber seals have minor effect on noise but helps to keep door gaps clean. Doors are not typically a major source of noise, and M3 has already two seals keeping noise out. Therefore we cannot expect major improvement by adding more rubber seals or adding noise barrier material inside the panel(s).

I'm using a microphone and computer to record noise spectrum and repeat each measurement 4 to 6 times and each 30 s average. Then taking total spectrum average --> measurement error is less than 0.3 dB above 500 Hz, about 0.5 dB above 4 kHz, and about 0.75 dB below 500 Hz. The problem with low frequency is that there are too few data points and random vibrations may vary measurement results. High frequency depends more on wind blow, here door seals have no effect.

I've now done much more sound insulation and got about 2...3.5 dB improvement between 250 Hz and 3 kHz, door seals was the first task but gave the least benefit.

door_seal_tesla-jpg.28618

door_seal_tesla_spektre-jpg.28619

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
_______

Here is my noise measurement results before and after door rubber seal and door panel sound insulation. The rubber seals have minor effect on noise but helps to keep door gaps clean. Doors are not typically a major source of noise, and M3 has already two seals keeping noise out. Therefore we cannot expect major improvement by adding more rubber seals or adding noise barrier material inside the panel(s).

I'm using a microphone and computer to record noise spectrum and repeat each measurement 4 to 6 times and each 30 s average. Then taking total spectrum average --> measurement error is less than 0.3 dB above 500 Hz, about 0.5 dB above 4 kHz, and about 0.75 dB below 500 Hz. The problem with low frequency is that there are too few data points and random vibrations may vary measurement results. High frequency depends more on wind blow, here door seals have no effect.

I've now done much more sound insulation and got about 2...3.5 dB improvement between 250 Hz and 3 kHz, door seals was the first task but gave the least benefit.
Thanks for the efforts. I'd like to see more info on your other insulation techniques if you want to drop a new thread. In the testing done by LivingTesla, he didn't really see an improvement from the extra door seals until 70-80 mph (~110-130 km/h). I noticed you didn't go that fast in your testing, so your results so far are consistent with his.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed these last week. The linkable utube video isn't helpful on what to do about drains. In fact, for the front doors, it says to run the seal below the drain.... so where does the water go?
Though it does mess with esthetics , I elected to cut a small notch in seal at point of drains.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed these last week. The linkable utube video isn't helpful on what to do about drains. In fact, for the front doors, it says to run the seal below the drain.... so where does the water go?
Though it does mess with esthetics , I elected to cut a small notch in seal at point of drains.
The key point is to not block the drains.

I bought the same kit and the instructions suck. You have to use a mobile phone and scan the barcodes to see the proper videos.

Last edited:

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Considered this installation for a while then I thought of those rainy/freezing/tawing/freezing cycles and thought better of it. It makes a lot of contact surface where the seals can freeze up to the surface.
But yes, I wish I still had my VW seals. My late father '90 passat was incredible for door sealing, everything kept clean even in the winter.
Waiting for you saltbelt guys update after winter;)

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Considered this installation for a while then I thought of those rainy/freezing/tawing/freezing cycles and thought better of it. It makes a lot of contact surface where the seals can freeze up to the surface.
But yes, I wish I still had my VW seals. My late father '90 passat was incredible for door sealing, everything kept clean even in the winter.
Indeed, all these seals should be wiped down with silicon grease before winter. There's a LOT more surface area now.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@JimmT @HCD3 After this weekend's driving I think road noise reductions IS juuust noticeable. In fact I may have noticed wind noise from roof now which I never noticed before. Reduction would have to be fairly significant to be noticeable at all, so definitely a thumbs up. Of course most noise still comes from tires.

Biggest complaint from all types of seals are adhesive coming off. I will be watching it closely and report any issues. I tried very hard to be sure the sealing surfaces were perfectly clean and I pressed adhesive twice along both, so hopefully it has its best chance. Winter here is real so I won't be surprised if it doesn't last. This is some gooey clear adhesive, not VHB phone which is the best. If someone comes along with a good seal kit with VHB it will probably be worth a higher price.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For an aviation application of weatherstripping, I’ve used Dap contact adhesive. It’s super sticky and gooey, dries hard and withstands freezing and high heat in the sun. Stinks when using it and you’ll probably never get it all off if you remove the weatherstrip later.. but if you want to know it won’t move or come loose then I recommend it.

I have the P and Z, but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. I’ll give feedback when I get it done.
Has anyone given Dap a try?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have installed couple of weeks ago, and checked on my regular local highway which has recently laid smooth top. On this road I only hear wind noise, nothing else even before Seals. For me Seals did not make any noticeable change in noise levels. To be fair, I never had complaints about wind noise. It is possible for the car with problematic main/original seals it might help. But for my car, original seals are pretty good and these additional seals did not make difference in noise.

Problem I observed during install is, seals are not thick enough to cover the gaps completely (as it is not designed as sealing surface to start with). Some air gap is there in the bottom even after seal installed, and also at front door and front fender joint, it did not fill gap completely. May be it would have made some difference if it was little thicker.

Its not expensive kit, I would happy if this stops some dust from sill area.

Attachments