Extra Door Seals to Reduce Noise and Keep Sills Clean

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Darelldd

Been having a problem with my extra door seals peeling off. Not sure if it’s just a ****** adhesive (says 3M) or the texas heat is melting them off.

I made sure to prep the area very well and used rubbing alcohol to ensure everything was clean. So I don’t associate this with an installation issue.

Anyone else having a similar problem or have a solution/different product I should be ordering?
Mine aren't "peeling off" but at the extreme creases (crease in the skin of the rear door, for example) it definitely is not as secure as I'd like it. There's no question that temp extremes are the enemy here. I have no idea how long this install will last. But for now I'm still pretty happy with it. While the rear doors were initially more difficult to close, they have now taken a set, and I no longer have the door-close issue.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been having a problem with my extra door seals peeling off. Not sure if it’s just a ****** adhesive (says 3M) or the texas heat is melting them off.

I made sure to prep the area very well and used rubbing alcohol to ensure everything was clean. So I don’t associate this with an installation issue.

Anyone else having a similar problem or have a solution/different product I should be ordering?
Mine are peeling at places also, but not falling off completely. Texas heat as well.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea the hard crease in the door makes it very difficult to adhere too. All mine came off with only a slight pull. I’m guessing the heat just melted the adhesive right off.

Probably going to wait until it cools down before re applying. Wish there was a better way

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I had said in my updated post on installing I was worried about heat. That 3M stuff turns to goo when it gets warm. Not as hot here and I avoided the high compression spots that I was most concerned would move. It Will move to where “sideways” pressure is neutral. And leaves a gooey mess in its trail. ;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That 3M stuff turns to goo when it gets warm.
3M has multiple different adhesive tapes and not all are intended for high heat, while others are. There are some intended for heat much higher than what a car baking in the Arizona heat could be subjected to without failing.
Sounds like the tape these seal manufactures used isn't one intended to be used in constant heat.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3M has multiple different adhesive tapes and not all are intended for high heat, while others are. There are some intended for heat much higher than what a car baking in the Arizona heat could be subjected to without failing.
Sounds like the tape these seal manufactures used isn't one intended to be used in constant heat.
Makes perfect sense to me. Does anyone know of a deal manufacturer that does use the correct adhesive? Anyone know where to get the P or D shape seals with a better adhesive?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All these gasket companies (from China for sure) just say “3M”.

I’ve used the “automotive” grade stuff and it will melt (or get very soft and move around) at modest temps.

Guess we need the 3M Nuclear grade 200F

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...-8979N-Nuclear-Grade-Duct-Tape-2-x-60-yds-Red

I’m sure if a vender used more expensive stuff they would call it out.

Edit: Oops that wasn’t double sided.

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I've tried a bunch of different types of seals and they all have rubbish tape, so I guess it's normal. Lucky for me I have good stuff at work.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've tried a bunch of different types of seals and they all have rubbish tape, so I guess it's normal. Lucky for me I have good stuff at work.
Actually that brings up a good point. Does anyone know if automotive shops can/will install additional door seals that might be of better quality? Anyone taken your vehicle to a professional for extra seals?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually that brings up a good point. Does anyone know if automotive shops can/will install additional door seals that might be of better quality? Anyone taken your vehicle to a professional for extra seals?
Car shops don’t usually add custom door seals. They fix or replace factory door seals.

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The seals themselves are fine, you just need to find better tape for them.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The seals themselves are fine, you just need to find better tape for them.
Right. However I cant remove the adhesive from the seal to add another one. So I either need to find a set of seals that dont already have an adhesive on them (so I can add my own) OR find a seal with a better adhesive already applied.

If anyone has information on either one of those possibilities, please let me know.

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right. However I cant remove the adhesive from the seal to add another one. So I either need to find a set of seals that dont already have an adhesive on them (so I can add my own) OR find a seal with a better adhesive already applied.

If anyone has information on either one of those possibilities, please let me know.
I just added another tape over it. I've found it sticks fine to the seal, just not that well to the car.

PaulK

Country
Country
For an aviation application of weatherstripping, I’ve used Dap contact adhesive. It’s super sticky and gooey, dries hard and withstands freezing and high heat in the sun. Stinks when using it and you’ll probably never get it all off if you remove the weatherstrip later.. but if you want to know it won’t move or come loose then I recommend it.

I have the P and Z, but haven’t gotten around to installing it yet. I’ll give feedback when I get it done.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After some measuring, I purchased these instead of the P and Z seals everybody else was getting. These looked like they would "give" a little easier and not make the doors harder to shut. I was right! And they still help with keeping the sills clean, too. YMMV, but I'm happy.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thought I would chime in on the whole door seal thing.

Personally I find that Tesla door seals to be pretty poor compared to the competition. Take the Model S for example, even after 7 years they haven't fixed the constant curling under of the inner door seals of the doors. Take a look at any Model S regardless of the year and you'll see them curling under. To me it's a pretty easy fix, make the edges 14" longer so they stop curling.

Door seals on the Model X are certainly much better but not perfect. Front of the doors have Z seals and the falcon wing doors have P seals along the rear edge and along the bottom but I'm sure they can do better. I've had 3 or 4 inner door seals replaced because they seem to use a crappy adhesive to stick them on that dries out eventually they don't seem to want to use clips like other car makers do.

img_0724-jpg.28222

img_0723-jpg.28230
img_0725-jpg.28223
img_0726-jpg.28224

Model 3 seals are OK, they don't curl under, but they feel cheap.

Want to see really nice door seals? Take a look at my wife's BASE VW Golf, Tesla could learn a LOT from these guys. VW even covers the inside of the front fender in foam/plastic unlike Tesla which looks terrible because you can see the primer (tough area to paint)

img_0727-jpg.28225
img_0728-jpg.28226
img_0729-jpg.28227
img_0730-jpg.28228
img_0731-jpg.28229

If anything, a third-party door seal kit is cheap enough to apply and if I help keep out the dust and some water I think it's money well spent, now if only Tesla would pay attention a bit more to other car makes we'd have an even better product.