Extra Door Seals to Reduce Noise and Keep Sills Clean

teslafan9

Country
Country
Lastly, are there any concerns with those front seals that are on the opposite side of the front doors? The ones that kind of have to be squished into the crevice?

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So where is the seal going that it isn't covering these?
I routed the seal above it, ensuring that I could still reach up into the drain (using something appropriately small and non-damaging to test it... I used a "bone tool"). So far, I've not noticed any problems with it not sealing that stretch, and the impact appears to be entirely cosmetic as near as I can tell.

Also when folks say it could cause a problem even with these opened, what are they referring to? Like what could go wrong? Where would water get trapped?
I believe that is referring to the possibility that if water gets deposited on the sill and would normally drain down and out the air gap between the closed door and the sill (not "inside" the door itself), this could block that from draining out normally...presumably until you open the door and then it could drain freely. I'll be keeping an eye out for that over the first few weeks of having this installed to make sure that's not a practical issue for me.

Lastly, are there any concerns with those front seals that are on the opposite side of the front doors? The ones that kind of have to be squished into the crevice?
I found these difficult to install well, as it's a really tight spot to get your fingers into to lay the seal in the perfect place. I am a little worried that if they are not aligned perfectly, they could create a whistle by leaving tiny gaps, which would be worse than low hum of big gaps (I think?). I don't think that I will know that though until it starts to get cold again here, as most whistles tend to mostly go away in warmer weather in my experience. The good thing is that the length of the Z seal is more than you need, so there is extra to re-apply if you determine you didn't get it right... I'm just not going to toss the extra until next Spring.

teslafan9

Country
Country
I routed the seal above it, ensuring that I could still reach up into the drain (using something appropriately small and non-damaging to test it... I used a "bone tool"). So far, I've not noticed any problems with it not sealing that stretch, and the impact appears to be entirely cosmetic as near as I can tell.

View attachment 25448

I believe that is referring to the possibility that if water gets deposited on the sill and would normally drain down and out the air gap between the closed door and the sill (not "inside" the door itself), this could block that from draining out normally...presumably until you open the door and then it could drain freely. I'll be keeping an eye out for that over the first few weeks of having this installed to make sure that's not a practical issue for me.

I found these difficult to install well, as it's a really tight spot to get your fingers into to lay the seal in the perfect place. I am a little worried that if they are not aligned perfectly, they could create a whistle by leaving tiny gaps, which would be worse than low hum of big gaps (I think?). I don't think that I will know that though until it starts to get cold again here, as most whistles tend to mostly go away in warmer weather in my experience. The good thing is that the length of the Z seal is more than you need, so there is extra to re-apply if you determine you didn't get it right... I'm just not going to toss the extra until next Spring.
Thanks so much! Has anyone tested without those front Z seals? Wonder the benefit in just doing the jams.

teslafan9

Country
Country
I installed these door seals this weekend, and the RPM Tesla noise reduction kit for the top window seals last weekend, and for me they made a big difference. I struggle with the scientific measurements like those in the original video here because I think the impact of these minor improvements varies wildly from person to person based on their perception of the different types of noise these two things improve. For ~$50-60 total, both of these are a clear win for me ... 1/4 of my family doesn't really notice a difference, but also didn't really notice anything annoying before; the other 3/4 noticed a improvement... which tells me the nature (i.e. frequency?) of the sound and how perceptive you are to that particular type of sound will make all of the difference.

Also interesting, I only finished 3 of the 4 doors before we went on some errands before finishing the 4th, and I could clearly tell while driving which door I hadn't done yet.

And yes, they definitely help keep sills clean. After washing the car yesterday morning (including pollen inside on the sills), it is now already covered in a new layer of pollen... but the sills are as clean as after the wash
Which ones did you install, and where?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m thinking about it too msw. Let us know your results.
Materials showed up yesterday and I have all the "Z" strip done (4 vertical seams).

$10.00 roll and took all of 30 minutes.

I cleaned the surface with InvisibleGlass glass cleaner, because it was close ;)
I only did the vertical seam between the two doors and the vertical seam between front fender and front door.

My non scientific hunch is these would be the most critical for noise, and based on the Videos, clearly it does help on noise if you do everything he did.
BTW after looking closer all the doors are completely double gasketed already. With very wide gaskets.

I'm a little concerned of longevity though for a couple reasons.

1) I've used that same 3M double sided tape for lots of applications. If it gets hot, the glue can get VERY soft and easily move around on you. When it gets real cold it gets brittle and when you apply any negative force it just lets go. I don't really know what my car will be subject to in my color. Might hold up great on white cars and not so good on black ones. Hard to say. The tacky stuff will get exposed to dust and dirt. As it wiggles a little dust gets in there and then stops sticking. Then it wiggles on what's left and gets more dust. See number #2 regarding "wiggle".

2) The way the "Z" strip seals it's actually constantly "lifting" the gasket away from what it's stuck too. So it ends up applying extremely little force to make the seal. And it will probably move when the car is caught backing in the sun. My car is Midnight Silver. It's really hard to say how it's gonna hold up. I'm not to optimistic it will stay put. Initially it looks great !!

I bought the P strip too but didn't install any yet. The P stuff does not have the "Negative" force issue like the Z stuff. That's good, it should stay put. It is always being compressed (positive) toward the sticky tape. But I'm paranoid of a few things. I'm a paranoid person. To many failed, good intentioned projects I guess.

1) Adding any more resistance to shutting the doors. My doors are perfect and don't really want to mess with them. If the P strip is installed correctly it has to be compressed. If it's not compressing it's not sealing. So it has to add some resistance to closing the door. It's certainly trivial and cheap to try it, I may still. Especially the vertical seam between rear door and rear fender. A door I also use a lot less.

2) It so happens every where the P strip is needed is the furthest from your ears. So it might be less critical.

3) As I mentioned before I'm paranoid of trapping water (even dampness just staying wet between the gasket and the surface it mates too). I'm not worried about water on any vertical seam, just the horizontal ones.

4) I don't care about the door sills getting dirty.

If the Z gasket stays put and perhaps needs replacement every couple years I can deal with that. All the Z strip looks very "Factory" looking. The one between the Front Fender and door looks like the RPM Tesla Roof Gasket. Nice !!
That one was very tricky to place it just right so that it does seal. Took all of 2 minutes for the seals between the doors.

I did not measure the before and after. I can't tell you how many times I've done the before and after with Audacity thing and always came to a "vague conclusion" because it's so subjective to what frequencies bother each individual.
The best indicator of it working was what my ear heard in the Video, not his numbers. For that reason I probably should have recorded a before (which I have from other tests, Tires, RPM Gasket, MaxPider Matts, Sun Shades etc.).

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Materials showed up yesterday and I have all the "Z" strip done (4 vertical seams).

$10.00 roll and took all of 30 minutes.

I cleaned the surface with InvisibleGlass glass cleaner, because it was close ;)
I only did the vertical seam between the two doors and the vertical seam between front fender and front door.

My non scientific hunch is these would be the most critical for noise, and based on the Videos, clearly it does help on noise if you do everything he did.
BTW after looking closer all the doors are completely double gasketed already. With very wide gaskets.

I'm a little concerned of longevity though for a couple reasons.

1) I've used that same 3M double sided tape for lots of applications. If it gets hot, the glue can get VERY soft and easily move around on you. When it gets real cold it gets brittle and when you apply any negative force it just lets go. I don't really know what my car will be subject to in my color. Might hold up great on white cars and not so good on black ones. Hard to say. The tacky stuff will get exposed to dust and dirt. As it wiggles a little dust gets in there and then stops sticking. Then it wiggles on what's left and gets more dust. See number #2 regarding "wiggle".

2) The way the "Z" strip seals it's actually constantly "lifting" the gasket away from what it's stuck too. So it ends up applying extremely little force to make the seal. And it will probably move when the car is caught backing in the sun. My car is Midnight Silver. It's really hard to say how it's gonna hold up. I'm not to optimistic it will stay put. Initially it looks great !!

I bought the P strip too but didn't install any yet. The P stuff does not have the "Negative" force issue like the Z stuff. That's good, it should stay put. It is always being compressed (positive) toward the sticky tape. But I'm paranoid of a few things. I'm a paranoid person. To many failed, good intentioned projects I guess.

1) Adding any more resistance to shutting the doors. My doors are perfect and don't really want to mess with them. If the P strip is installed correctly it has to be compressed. If it's not compressing it's not sealing. So it has to add some resistance to closing the door. It's certainly trivial and cheap to try it, I may still. Especially the vertical seam between rear door and rear fender. A door I also use a lot less.

2) It so happens every where the P strip is needed is the furthest from your ears. So it might be less critical.

3) As I mentioned before I'm paranoid of trapping water (even dampness just staying wet between the gasket and the surface it mates too). I'm not worried about water on any vertical seam, just the horizontal ones.

4) I don't care about the door sills getting dirty.

If the Z gasket stays put and perhaps needs replacement every couple years I can deal with that. All the Z strip looks very "Factory" looking. The one between the Front Fender and door looks like the RPM Tesla Roof Gasket. Nice !!
That one was very tricky to place it just right so that it does seal. Took all of 2 minutes for the seals between the doors.

I did not measure the before and after. I can't tell you how many times I've done the before and after with Audacity thing and always came to a "vague conclusion" because it's so subjective to what frequencies bother each individual.
The best indicator of it working was what my ear heard in the Video, not his numbers. For that reason I probably should have recorded a before (which I have from other tests, Tires, RPM Gasket, MaxPider Matts, Sun Shades etc.).
Thanks very much MSWLOGO. I was able to find both P and Z strips on Amazon. I’m going to wait until we have some decent weather. Barry Burbank said this will happen by July.:mad:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks very much MSWLOGO. I was able to find both P and Z strips on Amazon. I’m going to wait until we have some decent weather. Barry Burbank said this will happen by July.:mad:
You must be getting the same crappy weather.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Normally if I do an audio test I try to do the two recordings as close in time as possible to minimize variables.

But I had just tested my 18" Primacy Tires on Aero's with Covers vs 19" Pirelli P7+ Tires on OEM Wheels a week ago and I just so happen to be driving in the same spot with the new gaskets so I recorded it.
I'm only using an iPhone X for recording.

If I were to really test it I would have used my calibrated MIC and for the gasket test and I would have put the MIC near my left ear, but I didn't.
My phone is mounted on the Console with a ProClip. It is a very consistent position though and the iPhones are noted to have decent MIC's.

You can clearly see these Pirelli tires are Awesome. And they are showing to be nearly as efficient as Aero's with Wheel Covers. I'm seeing maybe 0-2% hit. Need to do some longer drives to be sure.

Not a huge difference on the gasket. But it did perhaps knock out a couple peaks the P7 tires added. You'd have to do a dozen tests to remove any statistical deviation.

Keep in mind the difference with the gasket (partial install) could be much larger if I had the MIC closer to the door and my ear. But the tires are pretty obviously a win.

OH, one other important point this is at 65 MPH. The prior posted Video on Gaskets showed 60, 70 and 80 (or something like that) and the major difference was not there until he hit his top speed (which was 80 or 85).

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Placed my order for the P and Z seals on Amazon and theyre saying late may/early june delivery! Guess there must be a ton of model 3 owners looking to add this to their vehicle.
There are a few venders that sell this stuff.

Both gaskets I bought show free delivery Monday Amazon Prime.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are a few venders that sell this stuff.

Both gaskets I bought show free delivery Monday Amazon Prime.

Does it matter if it’s a D or P seal? Does the extra piece associated with a P seal make any sort of difference?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does it matter if it’s a D or P seal? Does the extra piece associated with a P seal make any sort of difference?
Sorry, I goofed and linked the D shape accidentally . It might work but I’d stick with P shape based on folks prior success with it. And yeah I don’t see any P shape readily available.

The Z shape is available and you could get that started.

You could check eBay, they tend to have that sort of stuff.

Darelldd

How do these additional seals affect how the door opens/closes/latches (if at all)?

E.g., does it take more force to get the doors to fully latch when closing them?
I've done the whole deal. Jambs stay much cleaner (didn't even take rain to make them dirty before!) the sound is deadened just enough to notice... and yes, the doors (especially the rears) are more difficult to close. The rest of the family always has to take two stabs at them now. They sound better when closing... just harder to do.

Protect1989

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Been having a problem with my extra door seals peeling off. Not sure if it’s just a ****** adhesive (says 3M) or the texas heat is melting them off.

I made sure to prep the area very well and used rubbing alcohol to ensure everything was clean. So I don’t associate this with an installation issue.

Anyone else having a similar problem or have a solution/different product I should be ordering?