Extra Door Seals to Reduce Noise and Keep Sills Clean

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPDATE: Here is a link for a well-reviewed complete seal kit.

So, there has been a discussion on the other Tesla forum where someone posted a DIY for installing additional seals on all four doors. There is plenty of confirmation that it keeps the sills much cleaner during/after rainfall, but there was also a lot of speculation on whether or not it actually reduces road noise.

A friend of mine co-runs the LivingTesla youtube channel (very helpful-short-nonclickbaity videos), and he ran an experiment that showed noticeable and measured (although not dramatic) reduction in noise at highway speeds. For about $30 in materials I think it's a pretty good project that I will soon be tackling. Here is the video, and at the end he shows his methodology like a good engineer. I would recommend watching with headphones to hear the samples with more clarity.

The video includes a link to the thread, materials needed, and a link to someone else's installation video in the comments.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I came across his video a few days ago, and considered it - not for the noise reduction, but because the amount of dirty water that gets into the door jambs is crazy! especially the rear doors.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I came across his video a few days ago, and considered it - not for the noise reduction, but because the amount of dirty water that gets into the door jambs is crazy! especially the rear doors.
Yeah, that's the primary reason I'm putting them on for sure. But I also have a 20 minute highway stretch on my commute, so I look forward to a small noise reduction too.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A friend of mine co-runs the LivingTesla youtube channel (very helpful-short-nonclickbaity videos)
Ha! I met Matthew a couple weeks ago at the TOO meetup in California. Nice guy. :)

And I watched that video too. I like how careful he is to follow the scientific process and present all of the data. I would have liked to have seen a shot of the door sills staying clean after driving through rain. Maybe next time.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ha! I met Matthew a couple weeks ago at the TOO meetup in California. Nice guy. :)

And I watched that video too. I like how careful he is to follow the scientific process and present all of the data. I would have liked to have seen a shot of the door sills staying clean after driving through rain. Maybe next time.
Indeed he is, and as smart as they come. He included a picture of his clean sills about halfway through, but I don't think he clarified whether or not it was taken after some rain.

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I too stumbled upon the original thread a month or two ago over at other forum.
Seems simple enough, but does end up looking, busy/tacky and also a bit cheap when the doors are open. Perhaps only on lighter color cars.

I guess the choice for each who consider this is whether to live with factory cons or mod cons.
The pros of each are clear. The cons should help decide depending on which you care or don't care for.

Last edited:

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The rear door jambs even let in tree pollen. Wonder if the seals would help that as well.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didnt know if this was just a 4-door sort of thing (since this is the only car I've had with the extra doors).
Nope. Just an old design. My Acura MDX had door seals at the bottom of the door skin itself, not jut around the door opening. That way it kept the whole sill clean. Cost an extra set of gaskets but better design.

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed these door seals this weekend, and the RPM Tesla noise reduction kit for the top window seals last weekend, and for me they made a big difference. I struggle with the scientific measurements like those in the original video here because I think the impact of these minor improvements varies wildly from person to person based on their perception of the different types of noise these two things improve. For ~$50-60 total, both of these are a clear win for me ... 1/4 of my family doesn't really notice a difference, but also didn't really notice anything annoying before; the other 3/4 noticed a improvement... which tells me the nature (i.e. frequency?) of the sound and how perceptive you are to that particular type of sound will make all of the difference.

Also interesting, I only finished 3 of the 4 doors before we went on some errands before finishing the 4th, and I could clearly tell while driving which door I hadn't done yet.

And yes, they definitely help keep sills clean. After washing the car yesterday morning (including pollen inside on the sills), it is now already covered in a new layer of pollen... but the sills are as clean as after the wash

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can folks list what the bought and how much of it.

I think I’m gonna try this. The Video with the sound comparisons was very good.

I think I may only partially seal mine. I don’t care about the dirt and dust and is no worse than any car I’ve owned.

I’m concerned about sealing the bottoms and actually possibly trapping water or making in stand longer. So I might only do the vertical portions where I suspect (with zero proof) your ears will pickup most noise from.

flyeaglesfly

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed this https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit around the center roof glass, and then one order of (vertical runs on the parts of the door that hinge to the frames) and two orders of (the bottoms and non-hinged outer edge of the frames). Regarding water drainage, I did take care to route it above the two water drains on each door, which admittedly messes with the aesthetics a bit... but it's on the bottom of the door frame so you'd have to be looking intentionally to ever notice it. It is possible it could interfere with water that gets inside the door somehow, but only time will tell on that

Those amazon links are for the exact seller I ordered from, but I was not thrilled with them and they messed up my order... at the time they were the only seller that had them in stock though, but there may be others if you search around for the product names.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I think I’m gonna try this. The Video with the sound comparisons was very good.

I think I may only partially seal mine. I don’t care about the dirt and dust and is no worse than any car I’ve owned.

I’m concerned about sealing the bottoms and actually possibly trapping water or making in stand longer. So I might only do the vertical portions where I suspect (with zero proof) your ears will pickup most noise from.
I’m thinking about it too msw. Let us know your results.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed this https://www.rpmtesla.com/products/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit around the center roof glass, and then one order of (vertical runs on the parts of the door that hinge to the frames) and two orders of (the bottoms and non-hinged outer edge of the frames). Regarding water drainage, I did take care to route it above the two water drains on each door, which admittedly messes with the aesthetics a bit... but it's on the bottom of the door frame so you'd have to be looking intentionally to ever notice it. It is possible it could interfere with water that gets inside the door somehow, but only time will tell on that

Those amazon links are for the exact seller I ordered from, but I was not thrilled with them and they messed up my order... at the time they were the only seller that had them in stock though, but there may be others if you search around for the product names.
Yeah obviously you would not want to block the door drains.

But anywhere you have a horizontal seal water will have to run the length of the seal to find it’s way out. Water has a certain amount of cohesion. And if it’s sandwiched between the gasket and sill and not a steep path it will tend to sit there. Now if it’s sealed so tight water never gets in there in the first place, you might be ok. But that might not be feasible. That would be my only concerned and possibly completely unwarranted.

Just inspecting the car now and noticed the vertical seal between front and back door is already doubled. I was hoping that was a prime spot to seal since it’s closest to your ear.

teslafan9

Country
Country
Yeah obviously you would not want to block the door drains.

But anywhere you have a horizontal seal water will have to run the length of the seal to find it’s way out. Water has a certain amount of cohesion. And if it’s sandwiched between the gasket and sill and not a steep path it will tend to sit there. Now if it’s sealed so tight water never gets in there in the first place, you might be ok. But that might not be feasible. That would be my only concerned and possibly completely unwarranted.

Just inspecting the car now and noticed the vertical seal between front and back door is already doubled. I was hoping that was a prime spot to seal since it’s closest to your ear.
Where are the door drains in question to look out for?

teslafan9

Country
Country
Also when folks say it could cause a problem even with these opened, what are they referring to? Like what could go wrong? Where would water get trapped?