External mobile charge cable

I'm worried my phone will run out of power one day, and I'm unlike to carry the NFC card.
So I think I need a USB charging cable I can access when locked out of the car.

Not sure where I would be able to stow it and if M3 12v cabin power is live when locked.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm worried my phone will run out of power one day, and I'm unlike to carry the NFC card.

Not sure where I would be able to stow it and if M3 12v cabin power is live when locked.
Wait what?

If your phone is dead and you don't carry the backup card you can't get into your car to charge your phone.

I think it's prudent that you carry that card in your wallet as a failsafe.

EDIT: or you're going to flag someone down, ask them to download the Tesla app, login from their phone, and open your car.

No bueno!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That does leave a stranger with the ability to access your car. That may be a small worry, however.... I'd say carry a small usb charger or battery.
You don't need the app logged in once the car is on. You could log out after getting the help.

As a side note, if he could carry a USB charger he could carry the key card :)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bet it will be very easy and inexpensive to get new key cards, as they will probably be standard RFID credit cards like everyone uses for subways and entering office buildings.

The reason for this is for the upcoming Tesla car sharing network. It will work just like ZipCar, which also gives members (many who own no cars) an RFID card, which you tap on the cars. They have to modify those cars with card readers. Tesla is a step ahead!
http://www.zipcar.com/how

MaxM

Country
Country
Forget about the key cards and ext USB charge cables... In the future you'll be able to unlock the car by facial recognition with the B-pillar camera, throw a pre-registered gang sign to the internal camera and drive away.

Watts4me

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think he mean having a connected charging wire that's tucked under the car. So if the phones does he can reach under the car and connect his phone. Am I right?

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Back to the original first world problem... what happens now if you leave your key at home? (key card)
Also, if you cant get into the habit of keeping your phone charged, how are you going to keep your car charged?

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

Please explain WHY you would not carry the card in your wallet, it being the same size as a credit card. Do you have any credit cards in your wallet?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I usually only have room for 3 cards in my wallet phone case. Drivers license and two credit cards.
I feel like I've slimmed down my wallet and it's currently still holding ... 4 credit cards, a debit card, drivers license, and health insurance card.

Decisions decisions ... ;)

Last edited:
I think he mean having a connected charging wire that's tucked under the car. So if the phones does he can reach under the car and connect his phone. Am I right?
Yes, exactly.
With less (zero) dependency on leather wallet (Apple Pay today, car keys tomorrow) I'd like some insurance come the day the phone battery runs out.

Please explain WHY you would not carry the card in your wallet, it being the same size as a credit card. Do you have any credit cards in your wallet?
I've got no problem adding the card to my wallet, it is just I dont need to carry a wallet at all anymore. I use Apple Pay for most things now, and no need to carry insurance or driving license in the UK.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got no problem adding the card to my wallet, it is just I dont need to carry a wallet at all anymore. I use Apple Pay for most things now, and no need to carry insurance or driving license in the UK.
I know it's off topic, but Apple Pay is that solid in the UK?

I wish I could say the same here where Apple is based :(

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's sad that Apple Pay barely works anywhere in the US except for some McDonalds. The rest of the world has portable chip and pin readers, most of which with RFID scanners. It's especially nice in London when you can use your Apple Watch to get on the subway!