Exterior spot film protection [RPM Tesla]

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never been in favor of the clear bra / piecemeal install of clear film because it always seems like the edges always look dirty and obvious, BUT am considering what I 'need' from RPM Tesla and will for sure be doing the front door sill plate clear film and considering the rear bumper lip film.

what's everyone think of having the rear bumper film?

My current car's trunk hinges on the bumper side, so no luggage scrapes there (not that it accommodates luggage ;)), my prior coupe's trunk/bumper config was similar and it did not have scratches to speak of on the bumper, but I've always been pretty careful of anything touching the exterior paint. Is it worth it? I don't foresee the trunk being used for much more than groceries and the occasional trip with a couple small bags - zero chance it'll be used for any ridesharing...

RMP also has these exterior protection pieces:
Headlight film
Rear door sill film
Exterior handle wraps
Mirror wraps

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unless you're loaning out your car or letting reckless people load their stuff in your trunk, don't see the point of the film. Maybe it would protect against **** kickers in honky to let parking lots but I'd like to think smoking cowboys admiring your Tesla will be respectful enough not to put a boot up.

As for the door sills, I'm on the fence. Can't see that I would damage the logos myself and don't think any passengers would either. In winter, I kick snow off my shoes against the outer edge of the sill rather than the top.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never been in favor of the clear bra / piecemeal install of clear film because it always seems like the edges always look dirty and obvious, BUT am considering what I 'need' from RPM Tesla and will for sure be doing the front door sill plate clear film and considering the rear bumper lip film.

My current car's trunk hinges on the bumper side, so no luggage scrapes there (not that it accommodates luggage ;)), my prior coupe's trunk/bumper config was similar and it did not have scratches to speak of on the bumper, but I've always been pretty careful of anything touching the exterior paint. Is it worth it? I don't foresee the trunk being used for much more than groceries and the occasional trip with a couple small bags - zero chance it'll be used for any ridesharing...

Headlight film
Rear door sill film
Exterior handle wraps
Mirror wraps
I agree with piecemeal edge issues however IMO the rear bumper is a must. Every car I’ve ever had, no matter how careful, got scratches there. Plus easy to replace cost wise every so often. Headlights for sure especially if parking outside. Front door sill ‘Model 3’ plate and rear door sill as well.
Personally not the chrome metal door handles.
I’m getting professionally installed front end PPF but they include the head/fog lights, mirror caps and the rear bumper ledge. I’ll ask them for a quote to add on the door sills at the time.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Headlight film
Rear door sill film
Exterior handle wraps
Mirror wraps
I took a pass overall on protection. That said as far as film is concerned, I wouldn’t do anything that didn’t wrap around an edge. Any seam you see will collect dirt and look worse than having done nothing at all. I’m also at least slightly hesitant to consider DIY on these pieces versus going to a pro.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The ones I am considering are the headlights and rear view mirrors, primarily for ease of cleaning. Down here in the south those are the major bug collectors and there is nothing worse for your paint finish than bug splatter. Considering having the entire front bumper done but would have that done professionally. Plan on having the entire car done with Opti Coat Pro Plus.

Dan

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Additionally, doesn't it seem kind of out of place to take an electric car and coat it with another (unnecessary) layer of a product made from petroleum?
Not everybody has the same motivations for buying an electric car that you do. And that's a good thing - it means that they're becoming more mainstream.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Additionally, doesn't it seem kind of out of place to take an electric car and coat it with another (unnecessary) layer of a product made from petroleum?
BTW, I just replaced my little electric power washer with a large gas-powered one.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Since the car is already full of such products, a few more is not going to tilt the planetary ecosystem
My comment was not about the infinitesimally small environmental impact of a few grams of plastic film. It's about the intangibles, helping to insure the details of your cars are harmonious with it's essence, the "Feng shui" if you like.

But it's not all metaphysical. Even in science, physical objects have electrical charges and wrapping your vehicle with a layer of plastic will change this charge (as will a thin layer of wax). And this will affect the dust particles in the immediate vicinity and the way they cling or repel the surface. I've found plastic films "cheapen" the appearance of an object while a thin layer of wax can add magic. Waxing over the plastic film can reduce, but not neutralize, the tendency of the plastic to attract dust and debris. A freshly waxed car stands apart, gently repelling dirt and grime with an invisible force field.

The Model 3 will be replacing our 19 year old Volvo that we purchased new and has never been wrapped in plastic. The paint is still beautiful even though it's been many years without a fresh coat of wax.

The Model 3 has such beautiful purity of form and essence, it seems anti-ethical to cheapen it with vinyl. But to each their own.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm glad you finally got with the program! I've never seen an electric pressure washer that was worth owning. This has been well known for years.
That’s what I always heard about lawn mowers. The EGO self propelled battery powered mower I bought 2 years ago runs (mows?) rings around the Honda it replaced. As an odd twist, it was this mower that got me interested in reserving a Model 3.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That’s what I always heard about lawn mowers. The EGO self propelled battery powered mower I bought 2 years ago runs (mows?) rings around the Honda it replaced.
A well designed lawn mower requires far less power than a pressure washer (at least one sized to clean anything but small objects). Electric chainsaws have come a long way too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a battery electric chainsaw for occasional homeowner use but only as a backup to my gas powered one for continuous cutting or felling of larger trees as needed. But, no, regular 120 V 15 amp. electric pressure washers have too little power for any kind of larger or tougher job. Unless you don't mind spending all day to do a 2 hour job!

Country
Country
That’s what I always heard about lawn mowers. The EGO self propelled battery powered mower I bought 2 years ago runs (mows?) rings around the Honda it replaced. As an odd twist, it was this mower that got me interested in reserving a Model 3.
Can't wait to get my Tesla Riding Mover. I'll be able to cut my lawn in half the time.