Exterior Door Handles

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So far, the white “EXIT” on black background is the winner for me. Clean, simple, not too loud, just right. Looks like it could have come from the factory that way.

Vin

Country
Country
Door1.jpg

I agree the Exit one looks great, and after seeing the pics it inspired me to jump on the bandwagon. This is just a placeholder for now, but I simply printed the word door using Word (black background white letters, used scotch tape and a sharpee to color the tape once on door button. It doesn't look great but will do for now, and with an upcoming trip to a family get together where many will see M3 for first time. I'll still warn them, "hey press that Door button!"

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found this thread via a search as I've had my Model 3 for only a week and already had two exits via this method. I had a slightly different take and wondered if there existed a slip over plastic cover for the emergency release. I've not found anything but can't help wish I were experienced in 3D printing.

Kelela

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My solution: cut six 4-inch pieces of black electrical tape. Use three on each side to wrap around the emergency handle. Practically invisible fix: normal (eg, mistaken) pull won't move lever, but when needed for emergency a little bit of adrenaline will pop the tape right off and open the door. Voilá: no more broken seals.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To prevent use of manual latch, label it "EMERGENCY" in red. Bet no one will touch it, especially if you also label the proper door/exit button.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To prevent use of manual latch, label it "EMERGENCY" in red. Bet no one will touch it, especially if you also label the proper door/exit button.
I don't think anyone would see that it was labeled "emergency." It can't be seen from a normal sitting position.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think anyone would see that it was labeled "emergency." It can't be seen from a normal sitting position.
Maybe your normal sitting position is different than mine, but I can clearly see the latch from where I sit when driving.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My last car wash was a week ago, just before a cold spell, after which I wiped all the moisture from the handles with a microfiber cloth. I'm still having trouble with door handles sticking open ("why won't my door stay closed?"). Of course, temps near zero F during the day (and below zero at night) doesn't help. I still think there could be a little more slack in the handles. I've heard of Rangers using sand paper to loosen things a bit, but have no clue what where they removed material, nor do I see any area where I want anything removed for appearance reasons. So I guess we just put up with it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a new Tesla owner, I was baffled by the door handles. I am sure for some of you, this is old news, but trying to help those who may be still struggling. There may be a quicker way to pull open those doors if you keep in mind this one thing - "driver is right" if you’re in USA where cars are left hand drive.

If you are entering the driver side, do NOT use your left hand. Use your right thumb with your palm facing the sky to push the door knob to unlock and when the lever extends out, pull it with your palm gripping it from UNDERNEATH the lever. This allows you to use natural force of your thumb and quickly pull the doors.

Repeat the process with your left hand when you are entering the passenger side.

Last edited:

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I follow your logic, but at the same time left hand thumb palm down is equally natural for me.

Edit: I think overhanded or underhanded comes down to person height. I'm a taller person so reaching downward with my fingers is easier personally. Underhanded would probably do better for someone closer to the 5' height mark.

Last edited:

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These door handles are undesirable for anyone with an impairment of their fingers or thumb (which I have on both hands). There is no "natural" for me. I prefer a handle that you pull away from the door with any finger(s). The use of both the thumb and fingers generally went out of use with the old push button door handles dating from before about 1980. These are a FAIL for impaired individuals, and I am surprised they made it to the production model.

But all intelligent beings learn to adapt. They can be opened without using your thumb, but that may require using two hands. Or even using your thumb in an unconventional way. Often the door will snap back shut before I can switch from pushing to grabbing the handle. This does not take away from the driving experience though, and I would not trade the car for anything. But I do wish the handles would present.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I regularly open the doors “wrong” because it’s more comfortable for me. I push the fat part in with a index finger, and then grab the handle with my pinky finger and slide my hand onto it to pull. So I guess there really is no “wrong” way.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These door handles are undesirable for anyone with an impairment of their fingers or thumb (which I have on both hands). There is no "natural" for me. I prefer a handle that you pull away from the door with any finger(s). The use of both the thumb and fingers generally went out of use with the old push button door handles dating from before about 1980. These are a FAIL for impaired individuals, and I am surprised they made it to the production model.

But all intelligent beings learn to adapt. They can be opened without using your thumb, but that may require using two hands. Or even using your thumb in an unconventional way. Often the door will snap back shut before I can switch from pushing to grabbing the handle. This does not take away from the driving experience though, and I would not trade the car for anything. But I do wish the handles would present.
I'm curious if there is enough room around the handle to add a pullstrap handle around the skinny part for cases like this. Accessibility should definitely be a concern. Perhaps even a replacement handle that is a few % less good for aerodynamics but is literally usable by someone without full function.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing that I likely open the door the same way each time, but wherther I'm the driver or the passenger I don't even think about it enough to know which way I grab the handle. I'll have to pay attention today.

For new passengers I just tell them as others, push the fat part and pull the skinny part. For the most part everyone will figure it out based on their natural reactions and the way they feel comfortable with their hand. Unless someone tries something really crazy and almost scratches the car in the process, then I don't say anything else much about it. They'll figure it out.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious if there is enough room around the handle to add a pullstrap handle around the skinny part for cases like this. Accessibility should definitely be a concern. Perhaps even a replacement handle that is a few % less good for aerodynamics but is literally usable by someone without full function.
I will look a little closer at the handle. I'm currently on a post surgical driving restriction :(:(:(:(:(:( until further notice, so have not been near the car this week. :(:(:(:(:(:(

This issue should not be interpreted as a dislike of the M3 design or styling, but I sure wish the front end of the handle would pop out and stay out for a few seconds so it would be possible to grab it before it retracts. I am generally pushing on the back end with my index finger to actuate the door, then trying to grab the door edge before it has a chance to relatch. It's easier to open when I have two hands free, but that is not the norm (unless I set down whatever it is I am carrying). I can sometimes get the thumb/finger grab method to work, but opening a car door is something I have not had think about for over 30 years. I miss my Accord's door handles!

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I open the Model 3 doors with the same hands I open the doors of every other car I've owned. Left hand for the driver door and right hand for the passenger door. This way, I can swing the door open around the front of my body and step into the car in a fluid motion rather than pulling the door into my body and then doing an awkward shuffle and/or hand transfer to get the door opened far enough so I can then step in.