Exterior Door Handles

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My retired mother did it on the first try over the weekend when i took her to lunch in Model 3 for the first time. She liked the handle, and she loved the easy press of a button from the inside. Just saying...

Like when iPhone added thumb ID, many still swiped because they were used to it. But over time, people got used to the thumb ID just fine. And when people are just getting used to the thumb ID, now they're introducing face ID.

Changes are ok, it becomes muscle memory soon enough, something you won't even think about. For some people, it takes more time to get used to changes. The key here is as long as they don't change something then have it break all the time. Such is the case with Model S door handles.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, very interesting thread. I don’t care much for the exterior door handles, but that’s not something that I can (a) change, or (b) really care much about. That said, many posters said things like “easy to get used to,” “once you learn how,” and similar statements. If you really have to get used to something as key as opening a car door, I agree with the other posters that there is a user interface design flaw. On my Model 3 I just push in the larger part of the handle, the door opens itself an inch or do, and I just grab the side edge of the door itself to open it. Far easier than using two hands on the handles for me.

As to the inside, I agree that the so-called emergency manual opener is the logical choice to open the door for me and everyone else who has ridden in the car without exception. Only by explaining the button does any of our riders use it, and some requiring repetitive reminders before opening the door. Isn’t is possible to make the manual release work such that it doesn’t actually harm the vehicle to use it?
My take is that you have to "get used to" any new car's door handles. Some pivot up, on some you push a button with your thumb, some are aligned at the door's edge, some have keypads (fortunately that's vanishing), most are recessed but some remain that are not, etc., etc.; even if your old car and your new one have the same style of door handle, they won't have quite the same dimensions, the height of the handle above ground may be different, the leverage on the door is almost certainly different, etc., etc. You always have to build new muscle memory for such things -- and it's neither harder nor easier to do it for the Model 3 door handles.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
BTW, I am actually a fan of the interior door button -- easiest door to open from the inside I've ever used, among hundreds of models from several dozen brands, from VW to Jaguar and Mercedes. But when I show my Model 3 at EV meetings for people interested in ordering one, many end using the mechanical emergency release instead -- a more conventional placement and mechanism. Pointing out the button usually results in the person saying "Oh, that's really cool"...

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm sure others may disagree, but I've found that by printing the word "DOOR" with my label maker (clear tape with white lettering) and affixing it just below each of the door-buttons, has made life easier for my passengers (and me, too) when exiting my Model 3. That's the first place my passengers seem to look when trying to figure out how the door works -- especially if I've forgotten to call it to their attention earlier. I haven't had anyone pull up the mechanical "emergency release" ... yet.

I apologize if my attached photo Thumbnail doesn't work.

~Charlie

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That said, many posters said things like “easy to get used to,” “once you learn how,” and similar statements. If you really have to get used to something as key as opening a car door, I agree with the other posters that there is a user interface design flaw.
Yes, that's why I consider all electric start motorcycles to have a major design flaw. You see, I was accustomed to flipping out the kick-starter. Now on one of my first bikes with electric start had both a kick-starter and an electric start so, if I forgot I could start it with the push of a button, the kick-starter was still there which felt familiar and nice. But my next motorcycle didn't even have a kick-start lever so my heel was constantly trying to grab air. Products should remain stuck in the past so they work exactly like all other products that came before them. :rolleyes:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used a P-Touch labeler, white on black 12mm TZe tape.

I trimmed the top and bottom edges to eliminate a slight clear border they tend to have. I also tucked the ends into the button recess, then pressed it flat

If you have a super-handy plastic spudger, you can even remove and reapply as necessary. I had to redo it to get it level.
Ahh, great. I had white on clear TZe already, but I might order some white on black then. Unfortunately the labeler doesn't have a door icon built-in, but I could really go the extra mile and hook it up to the computer to print a real graphic.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this is what I am planning on doing.
View attachment 12651
That's clever to mimic the door handle shape.

Though judging by the college-educated and normally handy people who stand outside of my Model 3, stroke the door handle lightly a few times, and then give up, it may take a while for folks to association that shape with "open door." By the time they recognize the shape on sight, they've probably pulled your emergency latch a half a dozen times and gotten yelled at by you a few times.

One of my sons noticed that my wife was using the emergency latch for probably 3 days after we got it. When people jump out of the car after you, you don't always notice a warning.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the interesting thing about interior door handles is that there doesn't seem to be a universal iconography for them. Instead, they are made prominent typically.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That's clever to mimic the door handle shape.

Though judging by the college-educated and normally handy people who stand outside of my Model 3, stroke the door handle lightly a few times, and then give up, it may take a while for folks to association that shape with "open door."
Guests usually figure out the outside handles really fast if you casually say something like "Oh, that Elon Musk, he likes door handles to double as a basic IQ test."