Exterior Door Handles

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the door handles, not sure why it's confusing at all. I watched 1 youtube video on how to open it awhile back, and it sunk in just fine, haven't had any issues since taking my delivery. Feels natural for me.

I like how it's flat, futuristic, and s3xy looking. Just really glad it's not Model S door handles, which is a complicated design that fails quite often.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love them, somewhat unique. Very easy to use, sleek. The inside just as much. Does it implement more automated moving parts that can break, yes, but really like them. They help differentiate my friends, if you can't figure them out in under 30 seconds, I need to reconsider that friendship (OK - just kidding.)

I like those on the S, but very glad they aren't that automated with the number of those that break and have to be fixed, they aren't cheap either. Go take a look around a few S forums.

Overall - sorry you are having such issues with the car. You have 3 posts, starting 3 threads, with 2 problems and an "I don't like". You bought new technology from a company which you are not in close proximity to. I hope this car works out for you, but if it doesn't, I don't think the car is the only blame.
I'm sorry too... I love the car and want to keep loving it. And I completely get the risks of being an early adopter. But really, having to take it to a service center (many miles away) before it has 750 miles on it for an unclear "airbag" problem is, you must admit, allowed to make me unhappy....

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm sorry too... I love the car and want to keep loving it. And I completely get the risks of being an early adopter. But really, having to take it to a service center (many miles away) before it has 750 miles on it for an unclear "airbag" problem is, you must admit, allowed to make me unhappy....
I know the Bay Area takes in quite a large area, but I assumed (likely incorrectly) that the Bay Area surely had 2 to 3 Service Centers. I also guess you could only be 15 miles from one, but it take 2 hours to get there. I forget what some CA traffic can be like. How far away are you?

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I guess its perspective.
I've had my car since end of May, had one tail light replaced and about to get a headlight replaced.
But my overall post count and overall feel for the car is very positive.
But I'm a glass half full kind of guy :)

btpier

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I really like the exterior handles and interior door release button. I've only had to tell a few people how to open the door from the outside and I just tell each new front seat passenger to push the door release button with their thumb. Not one person has ever pulled the manual release.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had an "airbag" problem on my '09 Ford Escape Hybrid that took 3 visits to fix. The last time involved bringing in an engineer from 240 miles away and replacing the body wiring harness. The 3rd visit took days to finish.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can update my opinion now that I've had my car almost a week:

I definitely love the door handles! The look spectacular, and are a joy to operate.
The handles definitely confuse everyone else. The left side handles are more natural and folks get it on the first or second try, but the right side I notice people are always struggling with. Oh well, cost of going on this roller coaster.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really like the exterior handles and interior door release button. I've only had to tell a few people how to open the door from the outside and I just tell each new front seat passenger to push the door release button with their thumb. Not one person has ever pulled the manual release.
I love the door handles but agree it took a bit of getting used to. Especially for the times I had something in my door-opening hand. But you figure it out. I always give a quick tutorial to newcomers to my car. Thumb first, grab the lever - in. Grab the armrest, push the button - out. Easy peasy.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love the way the handles look so I’m willing to accept a little inconvenience. My only real issue is that if you regularly switch between being the driver and being the passenger, it’s hard to remember the preferred hand for each side of the car. Using the wrong hand just feels awkward. And yes I acknowledge that this entire post could be misinterpreted and get me into trouble.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The exterior handles are great. IME many people can just figure them out. They are very obviously door handles, and people naturally think to push on the big side.

The interior button is stupid, and still feels weird to me two weeks in.

How did we get stuck with this system? I imagine it was like the old woman who swallowed a fly; in this case, the fly was the frameless windows. If you want to remove the frame from the windows, you need to roll the windows down a crack when opening the door or you'll damage the seals. But some people yank on car doors so quickly that the window may not have time to roll down enough before the mechanical latch releases the door.

Well, so what if we make the door unlatch electronically? That way we can refuse to release the door until the window rolls down. Oh, but what if the mechanism fails? We can't trap people in there. Guess we need a manual release too, just in case. And it has to be in an intuitive and easy-to-reach place so that people who aren't in-the-know can find it in that case.

Okay. So now we have a mechanism, in easy and intuitive reach, that can damage the car if used regularly. But at least our windows are frameless!

Personally, if I were designing this car, at this point I'd step back and revisit the decision to remove the frame from the windows. How valuable is that? Can anyone even tell the difference?

And there usability benefits to window frames. You grab them and hang on to them when getting in and out of the car, and you can even use them to close the door. I've found that the natural place that I reach for to close a car door is a few inches above the door, on the window frame. Can't do that with a 3, so I have to reach down to the door, which feels just a little bit awkward, mechanically, for someone as tall as me, since it means my arm is close to fully extended downward.

Sorry to rant about this, but it's my single biggest complaint with the design of the car. Everything else, from the HVAC vents to the central screen to the center console, is fantastic.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Trying to not be biased (and that's hard)...

Exterior: I wish they popped out like the S. There is certainly a deliberate move to open them, but ultimately I like them.

Interior: I love the door popper button. I'm so used to me car now that I struggle to get out of my wife's car ;). I do not like the location of the emergency release latch and feel its too easy for an unaware passenger to grab it.
Maybe have the emergency release latches work just like the door popper when power exists. Then no explanations are necessary for interior.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We placed a small piece of painter's tape over the manual door releases. Just enough resistance to deter accidental use (if the passenger didn't listen to the intro...).

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, very interesting thread. I don’t care much for the exterior door handles, but that’s not something that I can (a) change, or (b) really care much about. That said, many posters said things like “easy to get used to,” “once you learn how,” and similar statements. If you really have to get used to something as key as opening a car door, I agree with the other posters that there is a user interface design flaw. On my Model 3 I just push in the larger part of the handle, the door opens itself an inch or do, and I just grab the side edge of the door itself to open it. Far easier than using two hands on the handles for me.

As to the inside, I agree that the so-called emergency manual opener is the logical choice to open the door for me and everyone else who has ridden in the car without exception. Only by explaining the button does any of our riders use it, and some requiring repetitive reminders before opening the door. Isn’t is possible to make the manual release work such that it doesn’t actually harm the vehicle to use it?