Extension Cord

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Uricasha

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I'm wondering what the likelihood is that I'll need an extension cord when I have my Tesla? These cords are at a one year low on Amazon and I was wondering if I should pull the trigger....

50-foot extension - $150
25-foot extension - $75

Any thoughts from people who own a Tesla?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ordinarily, I would say no. You're going to charge at home every night. You're going to use superchargers on long trips.

But I can imagine some scenarios where you'll actually want to plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
  • You want to spend a week at a campsite, and will be using shore power to charge your car.
  • You're spending a week visiting a friend/relative. They're willing to let you plug in your car at their house. The dryer outlet location requires the use of an extension cord.
The Tesla Mobile Connector comes with a 20 foot cord. For the first case, I would think you could park close enough to not need an extension cord. For the second case, whether you need a cord, and how long it should be will really depend on your friend's house.

Same price at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NU-CORD-25-ft-6-3-8-1-RV-Extension-Cord-94552E/205324852
Amazon often tracks the major retailers and will lower their prices to match quite quickly.

CarlG

Country
Country
Matt,
If you plan to take it on road trips I would strongly suggest a 25' cord such as the one you linked to from Amazon (that is the same one I bought about 2 years ago). I would also suggest investing in a CHAdeMO adapter, as I suspect that there will be times and places where a supercharger isn't available, but a level 3 from Chargepoint, eVgo, or Blink is on the route you want to take. I have used both items on road trips and am glad I had them along, as I either would have stayed overnight somewhere or taken a totally different route than the one I wanted to because those were the only options left.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like a really good idea actually.. got thinking that I could steal the dryer outlet at some friends' houses if the cord was long enough.

Country
Country
I've been thinking about having an extension cord to bring with me to friend's houses, but also be useful for other purposes.

or

Do you think GFCI would be good for if it would get wet or does the UMC need it? What about the Triple outlet, anyone see that being an issue?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I've been thinking about having an extension cord to bring with me to friend's houses, but also be useful for other purposes.

or

Do you think GFCI would be good for if it would get wet or does the UMC need it? What about the Triple outlet, anyone see that being an issue?
I don't think the GFCI would be of any benefit, you can leave that up to the UMC/car. As for the triple outlet, it will work but since you are buying the cord for a specific use, I would find a single outlet cord.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I traveled to pretty remote Lake Cumberland destination with an outdoor 110v plug about 21 feet from the driveway. I ended making it work by driving slightly into the flower beds. But in the future, I was hoping this would be a usable solution.

www.amazon.com/KMC-12AWG-Power-Outdoor-Extension/dp/B0775YT58V/

Any thoughts whether this should work? It seems rated high enough.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@slasher016 that looks perfect for a 25ft cord.

I bought a 10 gauge 75ft cord which I will keep in the car when traveling. The extra gauge is with the overkill for the long length considering the constant power draw (and I may push 16A through it). Very nice quality cord and reasonable price. This is the one I bought:
https://amzn.to/2KYdoo1

Jan King

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
@slasher016 that looks perfect for a 25ft cord.

I bought a 10 gauge 75ft cord which I will keep in the car when traveling. The extra gauge is with the overkill for the long length considering the constant power draw (and I may push 16A through it). Very nice quality cord and reasonable price.
I know there are a lot of 120V 15 amp outlets with really crappy installs. At a minimum, I would babysit it for an hour or more and check for heat/smells. This is good advice even when charging at 12 amps on an unknown outlet.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there are a lot of 120V 15 amp outlets with really crappy installs. At a minimum, I would babysit it for an hour or more and check for heat/smells. This is good advice even when charging at 12 amps on an unknown outlet.
I should clarify I would only do 16A on a 5-20 outlet, but those are very common now.

mrb

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m using the Gen 2 UMC to charge at home but I need a couple more feet of cable. Has anyone tried any type of extension cords and have they worked well?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't say that I've tried any, but there are extension cords rated for and built for the 14-50 plug. I would only recommend not buying one any longer than necessary, and I wouldn't cut corners with a cheap one. Just want to make sure it is well made. RV supply/web sites are good options to look, but see them at Home Depot, Lowes and of course Amazon.

Tesla recommends that you do not use an extension cord.

I have (3) different sized extension cord charging kits that were needed years ago before the EV charging infrastructure was built out. What NEMA out,et you are charging from? It is daisy chained thru several other receptacles? Is it the sole receptacle on that particular branch circuit? Do you have basic fundamental wiring knowledge? Is this a temporary charging situation? Have you considered sending your MC to TonyWilliams at quickchargepower to have him “stretch” your MC up to an additional 30'? Have you considered having a licensed electrician check out the entire branch circuit you intend to charge from to insure safe reliable charging?

My smallest kit contains a 12 ga. extension cord that I use for both 120 and 240v charging.

I possess no electrical/electrician certifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have checked the cord after several hours of charge and it is only warm at the outlet. The EVSE is much warmer almost hot.
With the garage at about 78 deg inside, the EVSE measures a max of 100 and the cord is ~80 the outlet measures about 88. So it can work.
What you lose is the temperature measurement of the outlet by the EVSE thru sensors in the plug.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm wondering what the likelihood is that I'll need an extension cord when I have my Tesla? These cords are at a one year low on Amazon and I was wondering if I should pull the trigger....

50-foot extension - $150
25-foot extension - $75

Any thoughts from people who own a Tesla?
I have used this thick extension cord almost daily for over 3 years in my garage...in 15 and 30 foot. No issues. I sometimes bring it on trips in case I want to plug into someones dryer outlet . It can handle the current. Obviously Tesla does not recommend extension cords for liability reasons but the gauge and capacity of these exceeds those in my house. I would not use anything with less capacity