Question Extended warranty for Model X in Montreal weather?

Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

MichaelMontreal

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I own a Model X and its warranty is about to expire. They are offering me an extended warranty. Is it worth it? Advice please?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
We are not at the end of our original warranty yet, but I had already thought through the extended warranty option, as it would have been cheaper if purchased in the first 6 months of ownership. I don’t plan to get it. For either the 2 year/25,000 mile or 4 year/50,000 mile option, the price comes out to $1300 to $1500 per year. Plus there is a $200 deductible for each issue. (Sorry that I’m quoting US dollars.) I’m betting that any needed repairs will be less than these amounts. But I also haven’t recently searched for other owner’s stories about how expensive some of the repairs are. That could sway be in the end, especially if they are repairs people are encountering with high frequency.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Warranties protect you from a financial hardship in exchange for regular payments. Given the numbers that Bigriver is throwing around ($1500/yr & $200 deductible), it's only going to be useful for a catastrophic event, such as a battery or motor going bad. If that were to happen, you might prefer to get rid of it and put that $1500/yr towards a new car to replace it instead.