Exposed primer at interior jambs / trunk

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently noticed a bit of a paint issue on my beautiful new blue model 3: it seems to be missing a coat or two of paint on the door jam. Part of it this area looks like bare metal, while other areas appear to be missing a coat or two of paint.

Curious how upset others would be at this appearance, which is only really visible when the door is open.

And cosmetic concern aside, is there a possibility of rust/corrosion if this isn't repaired?

Photos are attached, with thanks!

Attachments

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gotta be honest, I’d not looked there on my own car but did after your post. Painted on all doors for me, thankfully. You’re contacting Tesla about this, yes? Already have? That’s a bad miss by QA.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It wouldn’t bother me visually, but would absolutely have them take care of it to avoid issues down the road.

I just had my hood and trunk resprayed over some concerns and I’m very happy with the results!

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am curious to hear from other M3 owners whether they see painted or unpainted exposed metal inside their trunk? I looked inside my trunk and see that the exposed metal behind the rear seats and under rear dashboard is not painted to match body color. Just a beige/light brown color all around. Is that expected, or should be painted? Thanks.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am curious to hear from other M3 owners if they see painted exposed metal inside their trunk? I looked inside my trunk and see that the exposed metal behind the rear seats and under rear dashboard is not painted to match body color. Just a beige/light brown color all around. Is that expected, or should be painted? Thanks.
that is typical

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am curious to hear from other M3 owners whether they see painted or unpainted exposed metal inside their trunk?
Yes. I've also looked over my car very carefully and have seen a bunch of thinly-painted parts as well. If you wish to remain blissfully ignorant, then do NOT open a door and lay down on the ground looking up at the underside of a door. You will not be happy. :)

Firewired

I hear you. I guess we are seeing one more sign that they are doing everything they can to streamline the paint shop, which is a potential bottle neck, being there is only one shop and all three models have to go through it. By not painting lessor visible surfaces it makes it slightly shorter, but multiplied over thousands of cars adds up.

The other things are obviously discontinuing some colors and charging more for some (red) to create an economic incentive to disincentive to choose it.

I wish it were painted also, I am glad they are including the fabric on some parts of the trunk roof which wasn't on the original production models.

Ole1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ballz ..... any suggestions on how to easily, cleanly, and carefully remove all the trunk trim like you did ? the reason i ask, is because i want to find a good way to mount tie down straps to lock dow my spare tire. do you have any more detailed pictures of the front part of the trunk with the trim removed and the seats down - especially on the sides ?

BallzOne

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The trim pieces are pretty easy to just pull off, they’re clipped in. Then the carpet is just black anchor clips that you pull a tab up and then the clip out. If I were gonna mount straps near where the back seats anchor I’d just use the car seat anchor loops at the base of the seats. I attached 2 other pics that’ll be the best side angles I have.

6b1d6b30-6c2e-474d-97eb-7d1d66b0f05c-jpeg.14753
1888d96e-38ee-4e15-8a65-4c0d7ec92d18-jpeg.14754

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen plenty of talk about no trim in the truck on the top and at the back, but what about paint?
I have a solid black car, and when you sit low and look inside the trunk there is no paint on the top, just under coat etch primer.

I have also read some thread on here stating it is ok to just have etch primer in door jams and places like that as it protects against corrosion.......um no! I have been restoring classic cars for years. Etch primer and build primer for flatting are both base layers and MUST be covered with a top coat. Etch primer does protect the metal from rust but only if covered with a top coat. No primer is water proof, you would ever leave a partly restored car with primer out in the elements to get wet, that would ruin it. I always paint my cars inside and out with the same top coat color, everywhere!

Anyway. Has anyone else got a truck with no paint?
See my photos; this undercoat is a yellow, so very noticeable on a black car!

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope. no trim is removed.
Just bend down and look inside the trunk at the roof.
All the back and top is primer.
Other thread have talked about not have any carpet trip all round the trunk, but found any talking about lack of paint, so I assume you all have body colored paint in this area?

HappyDad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same here with no paint in trunk. Confirmed with several other m3s and with svc ctr.. Trim you referred to is called the 'garnish'. Only latter batches of m3 have it and not before. Some said they got it retro added at svc ctr.