Exporting US Tesla model 3 and using it in a different region

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jeda - Tesla Tech Accessories

Alabri_Arai

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Hello everyone in this forum,
in the upcoming few months my brothers current ICE vehicle lease will run out and he is thinking of getting a Tesla model 3 or Y in Toronto, Canada and shipping it back with him after 3 years and I am also thinking of buying one for myself and shipping it to my country (Oman) , now my issue is the charging capability on AC and DC, in our region Tesla UAE use the same standard as in Europe which is the type 2 with CCS 2.0 plug on the charge door which is able to take three phase 400v but the US Tesla proprietary plug does not seem to have the ability to supply three phase power, at first I thought of changing the plug but then I did some extensive research and from what I know now is that the US Tesla's do not have the ability to take three phase power even if you change the charge port to the EU standard one.

if anyone has the knowledge from Tesla or the community with having a US imported Tesla outside the US please let me know how I can overcome this issue and if its possible for the service center to change the charger and the charge port all together if not can the US version take three phase power?
I want to go this route since its much cheaper and easier to import one from the US (no customs policy between the two countries).
I couldn't find any official manuals or spec sheets for the onboard charger in the US Tesla's, if anyone has that please post the link here.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If your goal is to simply find a way to charge it at home, then you don't have to change the car. Get a North American Tesla wall connector.
It sounds like Oman has 240v single-phase power in homes, which should work perfectly.
I don't know if it's possible to update the car itself to change the port & onboard charger. I'd be worried that Tesla's software might reject a combination of North American car with European onboard charger. It would be a very interesting project, but I haven't heard of anybody trying to do that yet.

Alabri_Arai

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
If your goal is to simply find a way to charge it at home, then you don't have to change the car. Get a North American Tesla wall connector.
It sounds like Oman has 240v single-phase power in homes, which should work perfectly.
I don't know if it's possible to update the car itself to change the port & onboard charger. I'd be worried that Tesla's software might reject a combination of North American car with European onboard charger. It would be a very interesting project, but I haven't heard of anybody trying to do that yet.
Thank you for the fast reply, in Oman we have 3 phase 240 v per phase 415 V combined power since we have fairly large Air conditioning consumption due to how hot our climate is, I have the ability to install 3 phase but it seems that the US model does not have that capability, the weird thing is some other Tesla owners in Oman have US type wall connectors and bought cars (Model X,S) mainly from the Dubai showroom which is supposed to only bring EU spec cars, furthermore the superchargers have 1 or 2 stalls with the US plug and the rest are EU specs now I am so confused. it looks like tho I will only be able to utilize single phase charging at 40 amps.
Thank you again for your help, have a nice day.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Single phase charging in Oman would be 220 volt anyhow, so you're good there.

I looked up the outlet types available in Oman. It looks like the "Schuko" style from Europe is most popular, and there is a Tesla Mobile Connector head for it:
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/european-schuko-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2/

They also have the UK style:
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/uk-adapter-for-tesla-model-s-x-3-gen-2/

To cover both US and EU style supercharging, there's an adapter for that too, but it's kind of pricey:
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/eu-us-tesla-supercharger-adapter/

Unfortunately there is no CCS adapter yet. There is, however, an expensive ChaDeMo one available from Tesla.