Experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance and flat tire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A few days ago I received a low tire pressure alert. After adding air at the gas station (so odd to have a Tesla at a gas station!) the problem went away, but as I feared, it was a slow leak and after two days it was 100% flat. Fortunately, the car was in the garage and after a late-afternoon call to Tesla Roadside Assistance I had an appointment two days later for Mobile Repair. Wait - two days?!?! They did offer to tow the car the next day to a service center, but as it's an hour drive to get back home that time of the day and we have another car, it didn't make sense to fight the traffic. The rep with Roadside Assistance was quite polite and helpful.

Today a technician rolled out to the house with his truck and I was surprised that they have balancing machines in the truck. Very cool. The tire had a construction staple on the edge of the outer tread, thus making it ineligible for a patch or other repair. Anyway, about 20 minutes and $342 later I have one new Continental tire, this one without the construction staple "accessory". The technician was really professional and knowledgable - other than the damage to my credit card things went great!

jsmay311

Country
Country
Good to hear it worked out okay, even if it took a few days.

This is exactly the type of situation I had in mind when I bought a cheap spare off Ebay to keep at home in my garage so I wouldn't have to worry about my car being out of commission for X days if a tire needed a repair. And I can throw it in the trunk for longer roadtrips when I don't want to have to worry about roadside assistance being far away.

Rod

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious to know the technique the tech used in jacking up the car? Was any special equipment used, i.e. the jack "pucks" I've seen online. Am planning to swap to winter wheels & tires myself when the time comes and don't know if they'd be a good idea or a waste of $$.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Jacking up just use a hockey puck with 1" dowel jammed in the hole. keeps the lift centered on the lift point. Home tire changes are dead simple.

@OP good to hear the fix was easy if a bit delayed.

Barrysitt

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I had a slow leak in my tire so I called Tesla and they sent someone out to do a loaner wheel swap.
I then was driving the car and the wheel fell off while driving 40mph.
The wheel hit a cop car and I did 3 spins on the belt parkway.
I get the car towed and the service center tells me to pay them for the missing lugs!!!
Are you kidding me?
This is probably the ultimate service nightmare.