Question Expected Range on M Y

N17MM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I just purchased a Model Y with 10K miles on it,
Latest software installed,
At 100% charged, in car and app, I only show a range of 272 miles..
Should be over 300,, any thoughts?
Appreciate the help
N17mm

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can you take a picture showing the 272 miles of range?
I'd like to confirm what you're looking at.

My suspicion is that you aren't actually charging to 100% - the charge limit is probably set to 90%.

N17MM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I have the car in the garage now at about 80% charge. Attached is a screen capture on my iPhone Tesla app.
I slid the slider to 100% and captured what the milage would be if fully charged.. It is only 273 miles and not the 304
as advertised. In making our 600 mile trip last week before we left I had it fully charged and as above it again was 273 or 272.
Could part of my battery not be accepting charge?

Fred

Attachments

• IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 45

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I have the car in the garage now at about 80% charge. Attached is a screen capture on my iPhone Tesla app.
I slid the slider to 100% and captured what the milage would be if fully charged.. It is only 273 miles and not the 304
as advertised. In making our 600 mile trip last week before we left I had it fully charged and as above it again was 273 or 272.
Could part of my battery not be accepting charge?

Fred

The slider isn't doing what you think it is doing. The slider sets the charge limit, meaning the point at which your car stops charging. I'm guessing that your battery is charged to about 87% -- the green color is just a little short of the narrow line between "Daily" and "Trip". Moving the slider changes nothing; it should have said 273 miles both before and after you slid it. Your battery is charged to give you an estimated 273 miles of range.

You should not charge your car above 90% on a daily basis, and 80% would be better. (That's the next thin line to the left.) You should charge your car on a daily basis before it reaches 20%. This will maximize the life of your primary battery.

The night before you start a road trip it's a good idea to charge to 95% or 100% so that will get you the most distance on the first leg of your trip. Try to be en-route to a Supercharger or your night's charging station by the time your car gets to 20%, though it's safe to go lower. If you were to CHARGE to 100% you ought to see your estimated range above 300 miles.

I think that percent is more useful than miles. How many miles you get from a charge depends greatly on temperature, road conditions, and the speed you drive it. This is true for ICE cars also but it doesn't get talked about nearly as much!

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The slider is doing what he suspects, while charging, if you slide it to the right it will show what Tesla believes to be your estimated range. His shows 273 miles in the lower left, that is not currently charged range.

There is a lot on this very topic lately and while the total estimated range may only be 273, you are likely OK and no real issues. It is very likely just the way the car has been driven recently. Several good long threads and articles on this recently. The BMS simply doesn't calculate correctly from short and jack rabbit drives. The car needs longer - from 10 to 15 miles up to a few hundred miles if you've got a trip planned over a few days and a few charges. As this happens you'll see the range come back up to likely 310 or above. I can't keep up, but I think new you should have been rated at 325 or so when it was new - you'll get back closer to that if you drive it easy and some longer drives for a couple of weeks.

This is my own story on the same topic - https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/how-do-i-charge-next-to-regain-range.16703/post-290589

N17MM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
GDN

Read your link, thanks. Next Tuesday I have owned this Y for 2 weeks. I bought it used from a BMW dealer. ( i think the prior owner got an X5M)
When I picked up the car the dealer had charged it to 100% and the range was 272. Drove the car home and did a few short drives and recharged to about 80% via a 120v line. (don't have 240V installed yet). On day 4 I charged it to 100%, still said 272 miles. We drove a 660 mile trip at speeds from the 40s to the 80s.
Charged at Superchargers about 5 times but not to 100%. At our destination we have made small trips for the past 12 days or so and recharged to just 80%.
When using the slider on either the car or the app, sliding to 100% still shows max of 272 miles.
It shows no sign of budging no matter how the car is run or charged. This is a model Y serial of 8xx. the car is not yet 7 months old.
Working with Tesla service. They want me to drive to Jacksonville, 3 hour drive and I am asking for a Ranger on online diagnostics.
Will keep you posted.

N17MM

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
GDN

Read your link, thanks. Next Tuesday I have owned this Y for 2 weeks. I bought it used from a BMW dealer. ( i think the prior owner got an X5M)
When I picked up the car the dealer had charged it to 100% and the range was 272. Drove the car home and did a few short drives and recharged to about 80% via a 120v line. (don't have 240V installed yet). On day 4 I charged it to 100%, still said 272 miles. We drove a 660 mile trip at speeds from the 40s to the 80s.
Charged at Superchargers about 5 times but not to 100%. At our destination we have made small trips for the past 12 days or so and recharged to just 80%.
When using the slider on either the car or the app, sliding to 100% still shows max of 272 miles.
It shows no sign of budging no matter how the car is run or charged. This is a model Y serial of 8xx. the car is not yet 7 months old.
Working with Tesla service. They want me to drive to Jacksonville, 3 hour drive and I am asking for a Ranger on online diagnostics.
Will keep you posted.

N17MM
Hang in there, I wouldn't be too worried yet. Your 110 charging is just fine. What you might do for some detailed tracking is hook up to a system like Teslafi, there are others apps too that will do all of the tracking for you. It will capture all of your charging and driving and give you some very good logging so you can see the details all graphed out. I would hope Tesla could look at logs to see if you have any errors, but it doesn't sound like it, not sure what else they will do in person. Have you received normal software updates and they applied OK? If so then likely no issues with any of the computer systems.

My gut tells me you have nothing to worry about, but I know you've got a big investment and you'd like to see that 50 miles or so come back if it will. Truly get out on the road. Keep your charging in that 80 to 90% as you are doing, I wouldn't go above 90 unless you are prepared to drive. Never go to 100 and let it sit for a long period of time. If you line up another long few hour drive, you might take it all the way to 100% - the last few percent will slow down some and then take 2 to 3 times as long as it seems to keep packing in a few more electrons. You might wait til you get 240 to do that with, the 110 would take a few hours to finalize that charge, the 240 will do a better job of that.

Hang in there - hope the Y has been good otherwise. By the way - is it an AWD or P? Which wheels?

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Run the battery down low. Get it down below 50%, though lower might be better. Preferably with some long trips at highway speeds. Then let it sit in that low state for several hours.

Afterwards, charge it up to 92%. Do not use a supercharger for this purpose - your 120v line will take a while, but will be fine. Again, leave it sit at 92% for a few hours when it's done.

This will help the BMS (battery management system) measure the capacity of the battery more accurately. It's most likely out of calibration due to sitting at 100% at the BMW dealer for too long. You may have to perform this procedure more than once.

GDN

Will keep you posted.

N17MM

N17MM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Hang in there, I wouldn't be too worried yet. Your 110 charging is just fine. What you might do for some detailed tracking is hook up to a system like Teslafi, there are others apps too that will do all of the tracking for you. It will capture all of your charging and driving and give you some very good logging so you can see the details all graphed out. I would hope Tesla could look at logs to see if you have any errors, but it doesn't sound like it, not sure what else they will do in person. Have you received normal software updates and they applied OK? If so then likely no issues with any of the computer systems.

My gut tells me you have nothing to worry about, but I know you've got a big investment and you'd like to see that 50 miles or so come back if it will. Truly get out on the road. Keep your charging in that 80 to 90% as you are doing, I wouldn't go above 90 unless you are prepared to drive. Never go to 100 and let it sit for a long period of time. If you line up another long few hour drive, you might take it all the way to 100% - the last few percent will slow down some and then take 2 to 3 times as long as it seems to keep packing in a few more electrons. You might wait til you get 240 to do that with, the 110 would take a few hours to finalize that charge, the 240 will do a better job of that.

Hang in there - hope the Y has been good otherwise. By the way - is it an AWD or P? Which wheels?
It is Performance, goes like crazy. don't do it often though.
Have contacted Tesla support via the app, awaiting response.

dmccalldds

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Just took our first trip, and I’m a little disappointed in range. I have a Long Range Y, and was expecting to get ~300 miles from 100%.

We left home with 95% charge and got to our destination 120 miles away with only 31% remaining. The road was a flat interstates (cruised at 75mph, no stomps) and went from 300 ft above sea level to 0. It was 80° outside and was sunny, so we did run the A/C. A Better Route Planner nailed it, interestingly.

I heard that the 310mi range number comes from measuring at 45mph. I drive 75, and ended up with an effective range of 200 miles. Kinda disappointing. I don’t need range around town. I need it on the highway!

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I heard that the 310mi range number comes from measuring at 45mph.
It's more complicated than that. The EPA specifies exactly how the car should be driven, and how range should be calculated from the results.

This gives results that are good for seeing relative differences in range & efficiency between different EVs. But it's a terrible metric for buyers who are most interested in how far a car can go on the highway between charges.

3HWFETSchedule.png

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Model Y with 10K miles on it,
Latest software installed,
At 100% charged, in car and app, I only show a range of 272 miles..
Should be over 300
After 10k miles I would expect it to have degraded below the original 303 rated miles for a Performance, although 272/273 is lower than expected at this point. As we don’t know the charging habits of the previous owner, it’s hard to know if most of the current decrease is actual degradation or just the BMS needing to rethink things. If the previous owner always charged to 100% and let it set like that, you could have higher than normal degradation. But because the car warns you when you regularly charge above 90%, I think it’s unlikely that that was the issue. Do the range cycling suggested in other threads for awhile - I never found it an instant adjustment - and I’ll be very interested to know how the full rated range changes.
Just took our first trip, and I’m a little disappointed in range. I have a Long Range Y, and was expecting to get ~300 miles from 100%.

We left home with 95% charge and got to our destination 120 miles away with only 31% remaining.
I could have written your post 4 years ago. It was disappointing and a bit of a learning curve for me to get used to the concept of rated range vs actual range. There is a drive efficiency factor and also passive losses while it sits. Is the 31% that you quote at your destination immediately after arriving there? If so, the use of 64% of your battery for 120 miles is notably lower than I would expect, even at 75 mph. My rough Calc is that I would have expected no more than 45% of your battery to be used for the drive itself, this time of year in North Carolina. It’s interesting, tho, that you said ABRP nailed it. Perhaps there is something in those specific roads that is an issue. Here are also a few things that could be going on:
  • Do you have the 19” stock wheels? Any larger size will decrease range.
  • What is your tire air pressure? Lower will decrease range.
  • How loaded was the car?
  • Was there wind or rain?
I watch my actual range pretty closely (I am a big fan of the data that Teslafi provides), and can often assess why a particular drive was worse (or better) than expected. But sometimes I can’t determine the reason. For example, this summer I had some trip segments of 150 to 200 miles with efficiencies above 105% - I went FURTHER than the rated miles, and my overall 2500 mile trip came in at 98% efficiency. I have now gotten new tires, and instantly am getting about a 10% increase in my Wh/mile (so a 10% decrease in my range).