save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In many ways hydrogen vehicle are electric vehicles. The electricity I just stored in hydrogen instead of lithium ion batteries.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Except they're terribly inefficient in terms of well to wheel costs, needlessly over complicated and you're just exchanging one fuel cost for another. A pure battery EV can run on sunlight alone, this one needs a whole ecosystem to achieve the same thing

• Agree
Reactions: Klaus-rf

iChris93

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Except they're terribly inefficient in terms of well to wheel costs, needlessly over complicated and you're just exchanging one fuel cost for another. A pure battery EV can run on sunlight alone, this one needs a whole ecosystem to achieve the same thing
Yup, I think the video does a good job describing that.

styleruk

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with most said in this video, but IMO, hydrogen hybrid will be my next car...I hope. Let me qualify that a bit. I've always pushed for better vehicle energy and my history is...
  • LPG. I had 2 cars fitted with a compressed gas tank for LPG and done well over 300k miles on this, I even fitted a classic car with LPG which was handy for range as it has a petrol tank too! I could drive to Le Mans and back to london and stop once for a fill up.
  • Next was bio diesel, I had 3 cars running on my own home made bio that I bought from my mates cafe, filtered, processed etc.. and ran 2 Peugeots and a volvo on bio with no issues for many years. Admittedly, having a bio diesel process in the corner of my garage that I set up every few months was not the most pleasant thing to do but it worked and cost mere pennies per litre.
  • Then I went smart car, the EV for 5 years. Best eco care ever...far more efficient than the Tesla and a great commute car for me, my wife has a hybrid that we used for longer trips or if I wanted to load up with more than 2 people. Drove like a go-kart as well, awesome car and I miss it.
Now I have a model 3 and am coming up to my 3rd year, I aim to keep it at least 7 years at which point (and I'm getting to the point here), hydrogen hybrid will hopefully be a thing. I've been watching closely as the hydrogen filling stations in UK start to increase to supply the lorries and few vehicles that have it and it's similar to the EV build up. I don't think a hydrogen only car will work with a tiny battery, it'll need a plug in EV battery as well, so i can charge at home and at work like I do now via my solar panels, so 100mile range will keep the battery small. But when I do a long trip of say 400 miles (visiting my son for example), then that's when hydrogen wins, it takes away the planning a bit more that's all and works. Sure, the inefficiencies are there currently and there are companies working on that. The infrastructure is there and we cannot ignore that. When I used LPG for many years, there were at least 6 stations on my 33m each way commute that supplied LPG compressed gas and of course it was half the price of electric and emitted less emissions. Now there are none, if I still used LPG I would have to take a detour of 10miles to fill up.
So I do agree with the inefficiencies, it does not make sense at the moment on paper, but then when I bought my first EV many years ago 99% of people I spoke to completely disagreed with what I was doing and said it was stupid and makes no sense. Maybe there will be room for both methods, EV for people who live in a house that can charge their own car etc and a hybrid hydrogen for the rest. At the end of the day, it fixes the current situation.

PS: I've been experimenting with making hydrogen. I'm a qualified engineer and am very careful with these experiments, much like the bio diesel and mixing methoxide ect.. but the simple experiment of converting hydrogen is fun and something you learned at school. I'm interested in buying my own hydrogen engine, they are small and relatively cheap, compressing and storing it in a tank is relatively easy too. Currently I have wind turbines and a few panels that charge a bank of batteries I use for various things, a hydrogen production would store far more energy when I have excess (all the time). But this is just a hobby, not a solution for the masses by any means. My house uses a lithium battery store on a separate system charged by solar panels but only has 7kW and it takes up a lot of space. Food for thought, that's all.

• Informative
Reactions: PiperPaul

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Except they're terribly inefficient in terms of well to wheel costs, needlessly over complicated and you're just exchanging one fuel cost for another.
Well, sure, but other than that, they're perfect! :p