EV01+ Rims and Tesla Model 3 Performance

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone. Recently I passed on a pothole with my 20 inches performance rims and guess what... Bended them. I got pissed off and I went to a website and I bought a set of EV01+ 18 inches which the manufacture claims it is compatible with Tesla Model 3 Performance. So, after the installation (I did myself) I realise that it is extremely hard to remove the rims after you bolt them. After 2 days I started hearing a noise and I put my car on Tesla service. They told me that my breakers were loose due that the rims on the car are not compatible with model 3 performance and that was the cause of the damage and I must change them as soon as possible to avoid other damages. I did not find anything on the internet saying that the EV01+ are not compatible with the car but I can't deny what Tesla said because it makes sense since it is extremely hard to remove the rims. So I am lost, I don't know who to believe. Does any 1 knows anything about this? Thanks.

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone. Recently I passed on a pothole with my 20 inches performance rims and guess what... Bended them. I got pissed off and I went to a website and I bought a set of EV01+ 18 inches which the manufacture claims it is compatible with Tesla Model 3 Performance. So, after the installation (I did myself) I realise that it is extremely hard to remove the rims after you bolt them. After 2 days I started hearing a noise and I put my car on Tesla service. They told me that my breakers were loose due that the rims on the car are not compatible with model 3 performance and that was the cause of the damage and I must change them as soon as possible to avoid other damages. I did not find anything on the internet saying that the EV01+ are not compatible with the car but I can't deny what Tesla said because it makes sense since it is extremely hard to remove the rims. So I am lost, I don't know who to believe. Does any 1 knows anything about this? Thanks.
Hi there, so sorry to hear you’re having this problem!
As I work for Fast Wheels and was involved in designing the EV01 to ensure it would fit the Performance car perfectly (I have one myself) I can assure you that we definitely have a specific part number that’s machined exactly for this application for it.
However it’s possible you somehow got the ones for a regular Model 3, which will bolt on but not seat fully on the hub and rotor surface due to the step on the Performance car’s hub. That’s certainly what it sounds like is happening here.
Can you confirm exactly which part number of wheels you received?
It should be on your invoice and also on the boxes if you still have them (starts with FE01-)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi there, so sorry to hear you’re having this problem!
As I work for Fast Wheels and was involved in designing the EV01 to ensure it would fit the Performance car perfectly (I have one myself) I can assure you that we definitely have a specific part number that’s machined exactly for this application for it.
However it’s possible you somehow got the ones for a regular Model 3, which will bolt on but not seat fully on the hub and rotor surface due to the step on the Performance car’s hub. That’s certainly what it sounds like is happening here.
Can you confirm exactly which part number of wheels you received?
It should be on your invoice and also on the boxes if you still have them (starts with FE01-)
Hello Mister, thanks a lot for the reply. Very nice to know you were part of the design! In my invoice I got this number:

FE01E(+)-1885-
65TN+40C641

Also here is the specs of the Rims according to the invoice:

18x8.5 5-114.3 64.1 40 - 18x8.5 5-

114.3 64.1 40

In case this is for regular Model 3, can it cause damage in the car? Because if it is the case I will ask the store to cover the costs of a completely check-out.

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello Mister, thanks a lot for the reply. Very nice to know you were part of the design! In my invoice I got this number:

FE01E(+)-1885-
65TN+40C641

Also here is the specs of the Rims according to the invoice:

18x8.5 5-114.3 64.1 40 - 18x8.5 5-

114.3 64.1 40

In case this is for regular Model 3, can it cause damage in the car? Because if it is the case I will ask the store to cover the costs of a completely check-out.
Yes, because that part number does not have the correct machined relief area on the area around the center bore it definitely won't fit correctly and if driven on could cause damage.
The correct part number for the Performance car is FE01E(+)-1885-65TN+35C702, the bold numbers showing the differences: +35 offset and the larger 70.2 initial bore opening for the step on the Performance hub.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, because that part number does not have the correct machined relief area on the area around the center bore it definitely won't fit correctly and if driven on could cause damage.
The correct part number for the Performance car is FE01E(+)-1885-65TN+35C702, the bold numbers showing the differences: +35 offset and the larger 70.2 initial bore opening for the step on the Performance hub.
Thanks for the reply, I spoke to the store today and according to them they contacted the manufacture and they will ship an "adapter" which I will place between the hub and the wheels, I guess this adapter will compensate the numbers. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I got the spacers today, they look like this in the picture. According to the seller I just put them between the Rims and the Hub... Let's see. :)
img_20200131_093856-jpg.32075

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I got the spacers today, they look like this in the picture. According to the seller I just put them between the Rims and the Hub... Let's see. :)
A 5mm spacer should work perfectly. That will make up the 5mm difference in rotor hat thickness between the Performance and non-performance cars.

@Mad Hungarian is in the middle of a big road trip right now (and unfortunately he's currently stuck at a borken SuperCharger station). But you can watch him in the video below starting at 10m46s where he talks about using a 5mm spacer in order to mount his FastWheels FC04s on a Performance car.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Super cool, I will watch his videos.

By the way, I installed the spacer and now everything is perfect. Thanks for the support guys and girls!