EV Tuning Solutions Extension Harnesses for LED Interior Lights

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just ordered a pair of the Extension Harnesses for the LED Logo Puddle Lights I plan to switch the OEM ones out with. Will the extension harness snap in securely with the replacement Puddle Lights?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just ordered a pair of the Extension Harnesses for the LED Logo Puddle Lights I plan to switch the OEM ones out with. Will the extension harness snap in securely with the replacement Puddle Lights?
Yes, it's the same connector... snaps right in. In my case, I had a pair of Abstract Ocean puddle lights, and I just attached the extensions, gave the connection a little tug to make sure it was secure, and then connected it to the car. The extensions definitely made the installation easier.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not that this answers your question, but you shouldn't need that product. I just did a video on the install and the wiring is tight, but at the same time you have enough to get the install done without issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not that this answers your question, but you shouldn't need that product. I just did a video on the install and the wiring is tight, but at the same time you have enough to get the install done without issue.

Yeah. I actually switched out 3 of the 4 puddle/courtesy lights on my Model 3 and didn't use the extension. I did 3 of the 4 because the 4th one broke on me while I struggled to push the light into the door housing. It was my own dumb mistake. Anyway, the issue I have is that the lights don't attach to the cable/wire that snug. I don't get the "click" and ontop of that, the driver side front door puddle light is producing a high pitch noise and dims almost to a complete non existence when the driver side back door is open simultaneously. My thought is that the connection isn't good? I have tried pushing the connection so that as to get a click from the cable connector buy no luck; thought perhaps getting the extension it would maybe fit more snug? What are your thoughts?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah. I actually switched out 3 of the 4 puddle/courtesy lights on my Model 3 and didn't use the extension. I did 3 of the 4 because the 4th one broke on me while I struggled to push the light into the door housing. It was my own dumb mistake. Anyway, the issue I have is that the lights don't attach to the cable/wire that snug. I don't get the "click" and ontop of that, the driver side front door puddle light is producing a high pitch noise and dims almost to a complete non existence when the driver side back door is open simultaneously. My thought is that the connection isn't good? I have tried pushing the connection so that as to get a click from the cable connector buy no luck; thought perhaps getting the extension it would maybe fit more snug? What are your thoughts?
What brand puddle lights did you get? I only have experience with my car and my wife’s car and 2 puddle lights each but can say all 4 clicked into place and there is no noise or odd behavior. Four lights is a small sample size though.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What brand puddle lights did you get? I only have experience with my car and my wife’s car and 2 puddle lights each but can say all 4 clicked into place and there is no noise or odd behavior. Four lights is a small sample size though.
I bought cheap ones off Amazon, which I assume are from China.

Country
Country
That very well may be the culprit.
Pretty sure all of them are from china...

Mine also dim when both front and back doors are open. I put T's in front and 3's in the rear. I got them from abstract ocean but I'm pretty sure the ebay one will be the same thing from the same factory making them in china.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Pretty sure all of them are from china...

Mine also dim when both front and back doors are open. I put T's in front and 3's in the rear. I got them from abstract ocean but I'm pretty sure the ebay one will be the same thing from the same factory making them in china.
They're not the same thing :)

I won't bore you with the details, but the devil is in the detail with the puddle lights; many of the cheaper ones you see on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere use a cheap projection film that will fade within a year, this is especially true of any that project color, since they're basically ink-jet printed. We use a higher spec film and a specialized ink with heat-resistant plasticizers, which together cost about 25x the price, but of course since it's a tiny component, it's not too significant at the per-bulb level, the main impact is that it significantly narrows our production options. The nature of the form-factor also means that significant heat is generated quickly (these have to use a single, high-power SMD (LED), vs. multiple smaller (and therefore cooler SMDs); we have a 90 second timer to protect from too much heat (which will lessen the life of the projection film).

I guess I did bore you with the details :) As a general rule, whether you're buy 1 thing as a consumer, or 10,000 things as a business, you pay for what you get, but very often just a small increase in spend leads to a disproportionate increase in the quality of the product. The problem is the focus and mindset is nearly always on getting something as cheap as possible.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... the devil is in the detail with the puddle lights; many of the cheaper ones you see on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere use a cheap projection film that will fade within a year, this is especially true of any that project color, since they're basically ink-jet printed. We use a higher spec film and a specialized ink with heat-resistant plasticizers, which together cost about 25x the price, but of course since it's a tiny component, it's not too significant at the per-bulb level, the main impact is that it significantly narrows our production options. The nature of the form-factor also means that significant heat is generated quickly (these have to use a single, high-power SMD (LED), vs. multiple smaller (and therefore cooler SMDs); we have a 90 second timer to protect from too much heat (which will lessen the life of the projection film).
I generally go for the least expensive solution, all things being equal. But usually an Amazon or Ebay listing does not include this sort of detail. This kind of information is what can sway me into spending more for what I would otherwise think were equivalent products.

In fact, would you consider adding a post to the Abstract Ocean forum that expands on the details that you just wrote in this one post? I think that would be very useful.

Keep up the good work! :)

Country
Country
I generally go for the least expensive solution, all things being equal. But usually an Amazon or Ebay listing does not include this sort of detail. This kind of information is what can sway me into spending more for what I would otherwise think were equivalent products.

In fact, would you consider adding a post to the Abstract Ocean forum that expands on the details that you just wrote in this one post? I think that would be very useful.

Keep up the good work! :)
They're not the same thing :)

I won't bore you with the details, but the devil is in the detail with the puddle lights; many of the cheaper ones you see on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere use a cheap projection film that will fade within a year, this is especially true of any that project color, since they're basically ink-jet printed. We use a higher spec film and a specialized ink with heat-resistant plasticizers, which together cost about 25x the price, but of course since it's a tiny component, it's not too significant at the per-bulb level, the main impact is that it significantly narrows our production options. The nature of the form-factor also means that significant heat is generated quickly (these have to use a single, high-power SMD (LED), vs. multiple smaller (and therefore cooler SMDs); we have a 90 second timer to protect from too much heat (which will lessen the life of the projection film).

I guess I did bore you with the details :) As a general rule, whether you're buy 1 thing as a consumer, or 10,000 things as a business, you pay for what you get, but very often just a small increase in spend leads to a disproportionate increase in the quality of the product. The problem is the focus and mindset is nearly always on getting something as cheap as possible.
I agree. These are the kinds of things that will make me spend more, but that does not mean others that are cheaper also are not exactly the same... I mean I'd love to get a couple off ebay to compare but I don't want to waste money doing this either. I got the ones from abstract ocean, but they are not colored so I'm not sure it matters. It would be hard to prove that they are different from EVERY ebay offering that appears to be the same in the photos, but im sure some are better than others.

I ordered a couple trunk lights from ebay that were cheaper but appeared to have the same 6 LED's as the ones RPM tesla is selling. If hey work great! If not I'll be out a few bucks but I'll just solder in some SMD, or COB LEDs myself.