EV Comparator - Feedback

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I've been working on a comparator for "affordable next-generation EVs" (well, at least where the base model is "affordable" ;) ). Right now, it's only a datasheet, but once I feel the data has been sufficiently validated, I plan to make it so people can select their location, add packages, etc and compare vehicles side by side:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KxeJsSoqptmlaJXNvP1eO25-j31oOz4eStoPnz0YNRY/edit?usp=sharing

(I'll also use it to make a bunch of graphs for "at a glance" comparisons).

For those of you with experience with other EVs, can you be bothered to glance over the data and see if it matches with your experience? Definitely note also if certain options are only available in certain markets but not others, and the like!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I've been working on a comparator for "affordable next-generation EVs" (well, at least where the base model is "affordable" ;) ). Right now, it's only a datasheet, but once I feel the data has been sufficiently validated, I plan to make it so people can select their location, add packages, etc and compare vehicles side by side:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KxeJsSoqptmlaJXNvP1eO25-j31oOz4eStoPnz0YNRY/edit?usp=sharing

(I'll also use it to make a bunch of graphs for "at a glance" comparisons).

For those of you with experience with other EVs, can you be bothered to glance over the data and see if it matches with your experience? Definitely note also if certain options are only available in certain markets but not others, and the like!
I haven't had time to review it fully but the first thing that stood out to me in the graph section (wall to wheels energy consumption) was the tables corresponding to the charts are on top of the charts. Maybe I'm weird but my eyes naturally look below the graphs for that info and there is not a label clearly delineating which table goes with which graph. I did notice you inserted a narrow (empty) row to delineate that but I think it would be easier to decipher with the table below the graph and maybe a bold box tying them together.

I also question the comparability of EPA figures. It would be nice to have a real-world user average although I realize that is a lot more work and good data is hard to come by. I think Tesla, knowing they have a lot of very vocal detractors, went conservative on the numbers while Tesla competitors are likely trying to compete with Tesla and have possibly fudged the numbers in the opposite direction. If the tool is intended as a shopping comparison tool, I think the numbers are likely all but meaningless. What happens when it's cold? Do they all degrade the same amount?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I haven't had time to review it fully but the first thing that stood out to me in the graph section (wall to wheels energy consumption)
Note: the graphs section (as opposed to the data, which I mentioned above) was (and still is) under development, so I have no clue what state it was in when you looked at it.

was the tables corresponding to the charts are on top of the charts
Those tables are just linked to the actual data pages ("US Units" and "EU Units" - the latter of which is mostly just US data times conversion factors). If it would have been possible to do so, I wouldn't have had any tables on that page at all. Maybe I should cover them up with the charts ;) The whole point of the graphs page is to generate charts that can be used outside of the spreadsheet; they need to be clear on their own, so if you think there's something that can be done to make the charts themselves clearer, let me know :)

(I haven't yet started on a page to let people select vehicles and packages for a direct comparison, but that's upcoming... the reason I posted this now was to see if anyone saw anything off about any of the collected data)

I also question the comparability of EPA figures
The wall-to-wheels figures are just direct conversions of MPGe figures (where available**), which are tests in controlled conditions. I'd have no issue with the use of any other drivecycle, but I would have a big issue of figures that are not based on a drivecycle that can be applied uniformly across all vehicles.

** Where not available, conversion factors had to be used. For example, SR is based on LR, adjusted for the weight difference, with weight emphasized 70:30 in city, 50:50 in combined and 30:70 in highway. Where EPA figures weren't available (aka the Zoe) they were based on the WLTP with a 10% adjustment factor.

I think Tesla, knowing they have a lot of very vocal detractors, went conservative on the numbers
Tesla did do this with the range, and for that reason, I separated out nominal range and actual tested range. They did not do this with MPGe.

If the tool is intended as a shopping comparison tool, I think the numbers are likely all but meaningless. What happens when it's cold? Do they all degrade the same amount?
Physics applies to all vehicles equally. Air doesn't get denser just for Teslas. Wet roads don't only wet the tires of Bolts. Snow doesn't only get in the way of the tires of Leafs.

For things that can give a vehicle an edge in the cold, such as a heat pump, that's a marked field.

Last edited: