EV Build Summary (2001 VW TDI Golf conversion)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I realize this is quite a stretch..

The Model 3 drive inverter uses the STGAP1AS gate driver chip. I am using 6 of these in an EV inverter design, the chip has a SPI interface for status and configuration. I have been studying the STGAP1AS datasheet. I am able to read the status registers, however all attempts at writing the configuration registers have failed to change what is read.. I have not been able to find any example code/programming sequences of detailed app notes. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks yes i have been studying that and i think i am in compliance with the sequence in figure 26. if i attempt to do the writes without SD pulled low the SPI_ERR in STATUS3 shows up but regardless of which register gets programmed subsequent reads (power still applied) continue to show the original default values.. I'm not sure if it matters, but there are 2 of these daisy chained together in this design.

I am surprised that I have not yet found any app notes or example code. There is a dev board and a windows configuration tool, maybe i need to get one and sniff the spi lines to find the magic..

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is usually the point where I stop banging my head and reach out to the reps for help from an application engineer. Have you tried contacting them?
I know I haven't had much luck in the past through their site but I do have a few business cards if that helps you.
And I agree with the others: we want to hear more about what you are building :)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have posted a question on STMicro community, but since the Model 3 inverter uses this gate driver I thought what the heck..

Really think others would be interested? should I start a new thread? (kinda paranoid about being a pain..)

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have posted a question on STMicro community, but since the Model 3 inverter uses this gate driver I thought what the heck..

Really think others would be interested? should I start a new thread? (kinda paranoid about being a pain..)
I think a thread dedicated to your build would be great!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Started in 2014 with a 2001 VW TDI Golf after the diesel ate a valve at 380,000 miles.

A shop cleanout at University of Maryland race team produced the AC Induction motor and 100Kw inverter from a Chrysler Epic Minivan (Absolutely no supporting documentation)

My friend Dave and I have been reverse and re-engineering for 4 1/2 years. Basically learning (and blowing up IGBT's) as we go.

Motor is AC Induction, pressure lubricated and cooled Directly connected to the original 5 speed transmission (primarily use 2nd gear)
Battery is ~25Kwh (3160 18650's re-purposed from Ebay e-bike packs)
Starting from scratch on a new inverter

I'll add more/pictures in another post

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After reading a maxim post on spi daisy chaining I think I may know what my problem is.. I need to provide a SS rising edge after each register write (chip select rising edge says what is in your shift register is what to act on). But I am at this conference and can't try it till I get home on Friday :(

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Started in 2014 with a 2001 VW TDI Golf after the diesel ate a valve at 380,000 miles.

A shop cleanout at University of Maryland race team produced the AC Induction motor and 100Kw inverter from a Chrysler Epic Minivan (Absolutely no supporting documentation)

My friend Dave and I have been reverse and re-engineering for 4 1/2 years. Basically learning (and blowing up IGBT's) as we go.

Motor is AC Induction, pressure lubricated and cooled Directly connected to the original 5 speed transmission (primarily use 2nd gear)
Battery is ~25Kwh (3160 18650's re-purposed from Ebay e-bike packs)
Starting from scratch on a new inverter

I'll add more/pictures in another post
This is the AC Induction motor coupled to the orig trans
img_0248-1-jpg.26112

ediukill

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Hi @boatbuild . I am working on a motor controller project and was wondering if you figured out the way to talk to a daisy chain STGAP1AS. To talk to 6 daisy chain STGAP1AS, do you send 6x16bit for a read command, with CS pin low all that time then 6x16bit of NOP to get data back from the devices? I am confused on how daisy chain SPI works.

Thanks,
Gabriel