Est. UK delivery & prices

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have a delivery forcast of early next year does that only apply if you have the top of the range model 3 and does anyone know how much it will be in pounds with import tax ,maybe someone from UK Tesla would have a rough idea

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Good morning, @jango ! Yes it’s still morning across the Channel... ;)

To be fair, nobody really knows factual answers to your questions, I’m afraid.
The estimate for EU deliveries, whether in LHD, and even more so for RHD countries like yours, which have been announced as coming last, is very much of a placeholder at this point. By the time these deliveries really start - IMHO, for the UK, based on a recent tweet by Elon, not likely before mid-2019, there will probably be more flexibility as to what you can effectively configure, SR vs. LRB, PUP or not, AWD mid you so wish...

Yet again, the truth is nobody knows...

As for prices, same uncertainty to date for us all on this side of the pond. Recommend you compare US vs. UK prices for Model S and derive what Model 3 could cost in the UK, using the same ratio. That approach has proven to be rather effective to assess Canadian prices until these were just released upon opening invites there recently!

Stay patient... the light is at the end of the (long) tunnel (imagine the St-Gothard, then multiply it a dozen times... ;))

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
cheers thanks for that seems you get in a Q but your still shoved to the end of it you probably get one quicker if you ordered one now in the states

Jayc

Country
Country
I have a delivery forcast of early next year does that only apply if you have the top of the range model 3 and does anyone know how much it will be in pounds with import tax ,maybe someone from UK Tesla would have a rough idea
As @Michael Russo says, international production and delivery timing is a bit uncertain at the movement. This applies to all international deliveries. According to current predictions, RHD production will probably start middle of next year with the first deliveries ones going to current owners. I ordered during reveal but not a current owner so hoping to get mine the second part of the year - which is July - Dec 2019.

Pricing wise, the best guess will be if you look at current Model S prices (US vs UK) and find a multiplication factor - when I did it, it came to around 0.9 - 1.0 which means it will be roughly the same as US price, just swap the USD with GBP.

cheers thanks for that seems you get in a Q but your still shoved to the end of it you probably get one quicker if you ordered one now in the states
That would work if you intend to use it in the states but if you try import it, there will be a small print somewhere that says you are not entitled to receive local support from Tesla UK for service and maintenance. Besides, do you really want to be driving around in a LHD car?

Jayc

Country
Country
It really should not be a one to one covering from $ to £. 35k dollars is approximately 27k £.
Actually it is very close to 1:1. It's not a simple conversion of currency. You have to add shipping + import duty + vat + other UK specific charges which translates to a factor of roughly one to one. Take Model S pricing US vs UK as an example.

Actually it is very close to 1:1. It's not a simple conversion of currency. You have to add shipping + import duty + vat + other UK specific charges which translates to a factor of roughly one to one. Take Model S pricing US vs UK as an example.
So it's going to be an approximately £50000 car. Damn

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
US customers pay vehicle taxes too - they just don't include them in the stated price of the vehicle, because they vary from locality to locality. Yes, if you want the LR battery and PUP, they do add significantly to the vehicle's price. However, by the time RHD comes out, you should be able to leave both off if you choose, in order to save money.

Don't forget about the £4,500 plug-in grant. Also, no congestion charges :)

Jayc

Country
Country
Well not really. Base configuration is supposed to be $35k. Long range is +9k. AWD is +5k. Then there are other options.

So it will most likely be priced £35k upwards depending on options.

And remember the UK government slaps a luxury tax component to road tax when you go over 40k.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
US customers pay vehicle taxes too - they just don't include them in the stated price of the vehicle, because they vary from locality to locality. Yes, if you want the LR battery and PUP, they do add significantly to the vehicle's price. However, by the time RHD comes out, you should be able to leave both off if you choose, in order to save money.

Don't forget about the £4,500 plug-in grant. Also, no congestion charges :)

P

Peter Stringa

There is a calculation method for UK-prices. Based on pricing of real sales in Canada in combination with the reveal of prices for the options. Together with UK-taxes and fees one can calculate UK prices reasonably accurate. But I guess the price for the UK can easily go over GBP 70.000 for a fully optioned version.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter Stringa

Did you forget to write a post? :)
Hi Karen, no. But I know what you mean. I'll try to find the post from which I made my statement. And post it here. I'll have to search cause I don't know anymore it was here on M3OC or on Teslarati. My statement was based on a youtube-vid of Ben Sullins of Teslanomics about the announcement of pricing and specs of the AWD and performance model aswell.
So a combination of a post of KordanWilliams and the youtube-vid of Ben Sullins.

P

Peter Stringa

On Teslarati JordanWilliams wrote:

One thing to help you determine is the Canadian pricing.

It's is also an exact conversion of USD to CAD. There doesn't seem to be any additional mark up outside of if something ended up being $X43.39 it would be rounded to the whole hundred.

So I would venture to say that the
Base $35,000 USD = 30,000 EURO
Delivery $1,000 USD = 1,000 EURO
LRB $9,000 USD = 7,500 EURO
Paint $1,000 USD = 900 EURO
19" $1,500 USD = 1,250 EURO
Premium $5,000 USD = $4,250 EURO
Autopilot $5,000 USD = $4,250 EURO

So a base model should be 31,000 plus taxes and fees

My reaction on this was:
My conversion =US $ 8000 equels Euro 6800, $ 29.000 = Euro 24.600, For AWD $5000 = Euro 4250,=. That will make the price Euro 84.800 excluding fees, importtaxes and 21 % value added taxes (Dutch taxes on top of the total price of the product). So say conservatively the price will be Euro 86.000 plus 21% tax = Euro 104.000. Without performance it'll be Euro 62000 plus 21% = Euro 75.000 . Without 19 inch wheels it'll be Euro 73.500. Without color it'll be Euro 72.500.

Even in the last situation I think the car is overpriced by around Euro 8.000 to 10.000. I am not willing to spend Euro 64.000 for a car without those options.

But I doubt the price will be set by this calculation method. So therefore it'll be higher, I think.

Before JordanWilliams wrote the above I wrote this:
Yesterday I wrote that in Europe the price for a full optioned M3 (as I want) could be > Euro 66.000. That assumption is purely based on American pricing and the currency exchange of today. Normally for these type of products the same numbers are applied but the currency symbol is changed only. Based on that policy the price in Europe will be Euro 78.000 without Autopilot, self driving, Drive-ready etc. Including all these things the price will be Euro 78.000 + 13.000 + 1.500 = Euro 92.500. Add for the Dutch market 21% Taxes and the total price of the M3 will be Euro 111.925,= .
Euro 111.925,= And I still did not mention pricing for Color and wheels. So???? total price = Euro 114.425.......ha,ha,ha.

Absolutely insane, rare ridiculous/ even ludicrous. What are they thinking at Tesla.
Elon Musk is BANKWUPT...........................................Tesla wants to go bankrupt!!!!

Is this the result of his new couch?????? Thank you Ben Sullins.

From all this I think you have reference enough to calculate a more or less realistic UK price.
The policy of same numbers but a different currency symbol does not apply for the British pricing, I think, but certainly applies for a lot of products exported to / imported into The Netherlands.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi Karen, no. But I know what you mean. I'll try to find the post from which I made my statement. And post it here. I'll have to search cause I don't know anymore it was here on M3OC or on Teslarati. My statement was based on a youtube-vid of Ben Sullins of Teslanomics about the announcement of pricing and specs of the AWD and performance model aswell.
So a combination of a post of KordanWilliams and the youtube-vid of Ben Sullins.
I'm trying to understand, but when you write "my statement".... I didn't see any sort of statement, just an empty post. Is my internet connection perhaps filtering something out?

Regardless, I'm thrilled by how the Canadian pricing is almost identical to the US pricing. Here's to hoping for the same over on our side of the pond. We have no VAT on EVs, so... that would be bloody amazing :)

Last edited:
P

Peter Stringa

Hi Karen, My "statement" or my conclusion and/or assumption can be read in the post I placed at 6:04 pm.

But no VAT for EV's in Iceland? That's great! Then one can buy a Tesla.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi Karen, My "statement" or my conclusion and/or assumption can be read in the post I placed at 6:04 pm.

But no VAT for EV's in Iceland? That's great! Then one can buy a Tesla.
ED: I didn't check who was replying to me. My first post was in response to Jango, not you. He wrote a post that quoted me, but contained no body. I quoted his post in my reply - so normally it would have been obvious who I was replying to - but since his post was empty, nothing showed up! ;)

And yeah, the lack of VAT is a *massive* incentive. Total taxes and fees on a comparable car, like a 3-series, would be something like 40% of the price. If the exchange rate really does come in anywhere close to 1:1.... wow, I'll just be giddy :) Will definitely get AWD, then, and it makes it more likely I'd add a second option.

P

Peter Stringa

ED: I didn't check who was replying to me. My first post was in response to Jango, not you. He wrote a post that quoted me, but contained no body. I quoted his post in my reply - so normally it would have been obvious who I was replying to - but since his post was empty, nothing showed up! ;)

And yeah, the lack of VAT is a *massive* incentive. Total taxes and fees on a comparable car, like a 3-series, would be something like 40% of the price. If the exchange rate really does come in anywhere close to 1:1.... wow, I'll just be giddy :) Will definitely get AWD, then, and it makes it more likely I'd add a second option.
Ok, Then at least one person (you) outside The States and Canada will buy the 3, Good luck and have massive fun driving.

P

Peter Stringa

Um, I'm sure that at least half of Tesla's orders are outside the US and Canada :) The EU, China, and Norway are massive markets.
Yes you are right. But I meant in comparison of expected steep prices of around Euro 100.000.

I was just now looking for you, cause I have news.
This morning I was in a Tesla shop in The Netherlands, Europe. There the assumption for the model 3 is that Dutch consumer prices (including VAT or BTW as called in Holland) will be around the same as American prices. Base model most surely around the Euro 40.000 mark including BTW.

Something else..................Almost everyday they get emails stating that production is ramping up rapidly. From that the other assumption is that deliveries in The Netherlands will start late this year. More precise. At the end of the year. Even for my reservation done in November 2016.

But as the employee said on both points: It is not sure and it could be off. (very good of him to be careful)

As they are always very careful (as they should be), I think both points are possible projections.

I as well was at a Jaguar dealer. i-Pace will be delivered at the end of the year, "but if you want one this year you have to hurry. The production batch is almost full": was the talk. Base model around Euro 80.000 including BTW. And one can testdrive from July.
And of course, according the employee, no problems at all regarding Charging. You can charge everywhere you want. But he didn't mention the charging speed rate.