Epic Road Tripping in a Porsche Taycan

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don was in Hawaii(maui ) pretty amazing pictures I need to go back check them out if you would like.

A peacock went after his car which I found hilarious. It didn't seem to post any damage. Also, he had a portable espresso roadster I always get an espresso at a coffee shop at a supercharger but Im actually interested int his also I love gadgets.

Also it seems that porsche at least got the chargers right at the dealerships.

Some highlights from @Louv

Drumroll...
After being parked for 5 days, the car reported ... 68% SoC and 149 miles of range. 0%, One mile of range difference.
Or a rounding error. Statistically... insignificant. Could theoretically be 0.01% or 0.49% loss.
new charging record
1582908143891.png
1582908326187.png

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I find this amazing, I wonder how long it lasts from @Louv
ElectrifyAmerica chargers are kind of expensive... if you were paying retail prices. (Of course they are super fast in the right conditions, and are very expensive to install, so the investment must be recovered somehow)
Porsche includes your first 30 minutes of any session for free. Most sessions are less than 30 minutes... unless your car’s battery is too cold to accept a very high speed DC charge... or the charging station is only 50kW (a rarity found only in Carlsbad, CA so far)

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
update according to the owners on the forums its the first 3 years of ownership the 30 min free charging.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don was in Hawaii(maui ) pretty amazing pictures I need to go back check them out if you would like.

A peacock went after his car which I found hilarious. It didn't seem to post any damage. Also, he had a portable espresso roadster I always get an espresso at a coffee shop at a supercharger but Im actually interested int his also I love gadgets.

Also it seems that porsche at least got the chargers right at the dealerships.

Some highlights from @Louv

Drumroll...
After being parked for 5 days, the car reported ... 68% SoC and 149 miles of range. 0%, One mile of range difference.
Or a rounding error. Statistically... insignificant. Could theoretically be 0.01% or 0.49% loss.
new charging record

Dang. Those are some pretty chargers!

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just an update in case anyone was wondering I found this interesting
surprised @Louv hasn't come out with his own video yet besides the time lapse :)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
just an update in case anyone was wondering I found this interesting
surprised @Louv hasn't come out with his own video yet besides the time lapse :)
Hence once again when you own the top down infrastructure you can place the charger to the correct side of the car in a place where the cable doesn't touch or rub the car. Another reason the location of the charge point should be standardized, but that will likely never happen. They could just follow Tesla's lead !!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
All the troubles on Out of Spec's east coast Taycan trip made this video much more entertaining than expected!

Reactions: 2 people

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Electrify America needs to be called out, after all this time and they still can't get this right, and with a car that's part of the VW brand family too.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How far would this run have even made it if EA hadn't been alerted and they sent technicians to each of the stations that would be used and made certain they were in top working order. Yeah, try to get that attention as an every day owner. I will give them props for telling us they did that, but from the history of EA we've seen there is a chance they would have ended up stranded from that network.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How far would this run have even made it if EA hadn't been alerted and they sent technicians to each of the stations that would be used and made certain they were in top working order. Yeah, try to get that attention as an every day owner. I will give them props for telling us they did that, but from the history of EA we've seen there is a chance they would have ended up stranded from that network.

It easily would have added several hours to their time.

Reactions: 1 person

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Being part of the integration and test team is OK if you know what your doing. But to become a tester without prior notice will leave a bad taste that will take years to overcome.

My experience with a BMW i3-REx using Electrify America remains a bad memory. Only two of three attempts worked after trying each station and calling support. The third time, I used the range extender to get home. As for EVgo, it was expensive due to the 50 kW limit. Huntsville has a broken CCS-1/CHAdeMO charger downtown which thanks to COVID-19 costs has not been replaced.

Bob Wilson

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Oh believe me, there are a lot of Audi ETron owners who spent $80k that are LOUDLY calling EA out.
And, seeing that Electrify America was started as part of the Dieselgate settlement, you wonder if the court said "deploy a charging network" or "deploy a WORKING charging network"

To their credit, they did avoid just doing the easy thing and deploying existing 50 kW equipment, but FOUR manufacturers and having to create at that time brand new 350 kW charging technology made it much harder to engineer in reliability.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...having to create at that time brand new 350 kW charging technology made it much harder to engineer in reliability.
Kind of gives you a new appreciation for how well the supercharging network actually works, doesn't it? I'm guessing that Tesla's decision to use the same inverter that was used in the Model S vehicles helped a lot initially - having all of those vehicles using the inverter constantly will help expose the weaknesses and allow them to continually tweak the design for more reliability.

Reactions: 3 people

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This problems with these third party chargers is making me very very appreciative of the Tesla ones working so well. I have taken it for granted.

The video above is a nightmare for someone not doing an experiment and just wanting to get somewhere.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.