Epic Road Tripping in a Porsche Taycan

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Some adventurous soul has decided to road-trip his Porsche Taycan. The thread is quite a good read. It makes two things abundantly clear:
  1. As buggy as Tesla's are, they've had 8 years to squash a lot of basic bugs, like charging that works.
  2. The non-Tesla DC fast-charging network is inadequate.
Feel free to read all the posts in the original forum, but *please* do not troll that forum. It's a Taycan-specific forum - I'm sure many of them know about Teslas, and if they want to learn more, they can come over here. Let them have a nice friendly space to discuss their vehicle of choice. :)

Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal

Here are a select few quotes from louv's posts that I found interesting.
Many issues are similar to those we have in Teslas. Some are not.
Enjoy.
  • The car’s Nav didn’t know about this charging station. I had to find it online, and type in the address by hand.
  • And now, once again the Nav has forgotten it’s an EV and doesn’t allow me to search for Charging stations. [bug]
  • Now having troubles authorizing a transfer of funds to an RFID card that should make payments for charging easier. Sigh. Technology.
  • And the charging station (or the car) hit an error at 25% full and shut off. Had to restart the session.
  • I’ve been on the road for 10h05m and covered 403 miles.
  • The charging stations can be a little troublesome to find. This one was tucked waaaaaay in the back of a huge (and now dark) mall parking lot. The only reason I found it was because it was glowing green.
  • Nicely, the car knew I was stopping off at a DC Fast charging station, and it pre-warmed the battery as I approached. Not that it mattered, as it was a mere 50kW station. The pre-warming only really matters for 150kW or 350kW stations.
  • “Do you have Electric Vehicle charging stations at this hotel?” “Yes! They are around back!” I was shocked. I picked this hotel at random. And a google search of the area didn’t show these. I check in, the pull around back. Oh. There are two Tesla Destination Chargers. Basically what a tesla owner would have in their garage. Not a Supercharger. But... they have the Tesla proprietary connector, which does not fit my Porsche...
  • The Nav system went bonkers again this morning. It probably didn’t like the -10°F weather.... Oh, when it gets really confused, it defaults back to its mother tongue: German.
  • Dammit. The charging station I was counting on (and my car insists I should go to) is not working.
  • I did have to call the charging station’s customer service because after four tries, the station wouldn’t talk to my car. They remotely rebooted the station. Then it worked.
  • My second to last charge was at a 50kW Petro-Canada charger in Espanola. The parking space was blocked by a short wall of ice that a lazy plow driver had left. Clearly these charging stations don’t get much use (which is a benefit to me, as they’ve always been available).
  • These Petro-Canada stations are quite new. I keep hearing, “I think you’re the first person to use this.”
  • ...no issues. (Other than the Nav taking an hour to wake up in the mornings... grrr)
  • These new Petro-Canada stations are great. Reliable and Fast.
  • (Update: Oddly, even though it says it is capable of 200kW, the charger is behaving like a 50kW charger... maybe that’s why it is free)
  • Oh, and Petro-Canada has a 350kW (capable) charger here. But, it isn’t charging any faster than the 200kW charger. Oh well.

Ed Post

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Kudos to the guy for risking a coast-to-coast (and back) road trip with a car and infrastructure that’s been around for all of 20 minutes.
Ah, fond memories of the time, two days after I picked up my Model S, of road-tripping from Denver to South Carolina and back. When the only SuperCharged path across the US was Interstate 90, across North Dakota, traversing the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I still have my EZPass transponder from those halcyon days).

I'm sure this guy will look back on today from five years later, like -- "what was I THINKING?". As I was that first night, driving thru the rain and dark on a two-lane road in Wyoming, watching the rated miles dropping MUCH faster than the miles to Rapid City. (Range Anxiety is a *****.)

The infrastructure will mature. More roads will be covered. Chargers will get more reliable. Charging speeds will continue to increase. Gas stations will become charging stations, but still make most of their money selling beef jerky.

And Telsa will have led the way. And most likely, still be leading the way.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Ed Post I know a guy who owns a few gas stations back in mid Atlantic he said most of the time he loses money on gas its to get people to come in. So yes most of the money will be made from beef jerky and overpriced drinks for sure. its just a matter of when.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
update to this guys drive I'm fascinated with it (used to be a Porsche fan) it stopped doing level 3 charging at 180kw he cant get support for his car or charging past l1 charging
he's at the Porsche dealership.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Reports today of a black Taycan from Austin driving back to Dallas after the FullyCharged Live weekend. So there are a few of them hitting the road. There was one on display at FullyCharged, but they said it was not the same one.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
still following this thread I love how he explains the 3500 assisted driving.
“It’s like letting a slightly drunk, partially blind, novice driver have control of your steering.”

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
guy is stuck in canada
gets better
Ok... here’s a fun twist that I hadn’t considered beforehand. The Canadian introduction of the Taycan isn’t until February 27th. So... the Porsche dealership here in Calgary (and probably the rest of Canada) doesn’t yet have the tools required to work on the car.

And the one Technician who has been trained on these cars gets home from that training... you guessed it: Today. In about 2 hours.

Grab some popcorn, folks... this will be interesting.

Oops, my bad: Driving through a country that can’t fix my (early adopter) car.

Worst case: I get towed south, across the border.
[mod added quote formatting for clarity]

Last edited by a moderator:

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To be fair, in the early days, supercharging was free and fully integrated by Tesla...

Back when Tesla monitored the network so closely that when a key supercharger failed, there were tow trucks that Tesla provided to ferry incoming Model S drivers to and from the chasm that they were forced to drive...

But that's what happens with an integrated company, and having stranded customers cost Tesla more than the cost of the tow...

Sad to see this happen to ANY EV driver...

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
guy is stuck in canada
gets better
Why is that better? Are you routing for him to fail?

Also, I would note that Porsche corporate in Germany is closely monitoring his thread. How close? When he posted that he was waiting for service on Sunday night, before the next morning, a new member had joined the forum and posted....the General Sales Manager r from the dealer his car was stuck at. Also, his later post notes that the engineers in Germany had already called the techs at Porsche Calgary and had already requested access into the car to download the logs.

Would Tesla be doing the same? I'm not so sure of that.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
good point @Needsdecaf . I just dont like the misleading of all these chargers being at x on their map. Then the GPS not pulling it up. Then all these other shortcomings. I actually love Porsche but I also loathe false advertising, I was hoping for more I prefer the looks of the Porsche to the model s by a lot but I also think the technology is failing where they said they would triumph. Growing pains are one thing but these "testers" on the thread saying they were able to get better charge speeds for example and when this brand new owner who spent 200+ on car cant something is off, maybe its another communication problem with the EV. Also, this seems to have proved the EPA numbers were right. I hope Porsche improves this asap but this thread has been blowing up too more then this guy could ever imagine. And I dont want them to fail but I do want them to stop saying fluff if that makes sense?

for example, the best he got from what I've read is 138 peak when they are promising 270+.

Last edited:

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
dang just got caught up busy day at work you called it @Needsdecaf

from the OP

Porsche of Calgary is on top of it, and are treating me very well. I just chatted with my Service advisor, the Service Manager, and the GM of the dealership.
Porsche Corporate (Germany) has contacted the dealership, and their engineers have now been fed data logs from the car. Analysis is in progress.
The dealership has given me a loaner Macan. Roadside assistance will pay for my hotel here under “trip interruption” coverage. If it looks like the car will be here a few days, they have given me permission to take the loaner up to Banff for a couple of days.
They are developing a plan on testing both AC and DC Fast charging after they fix it (or reset it, or whatever). Since they weren’t prepared to be working on these yet, their DC charge testing will need to take place elsewhere... like, at the nearby BMW dealership.
No one at the dealership, other than the GM, had ever seen a Taycan in person prior to today. So they were surprised when mine was parked here this morning. I threw them a big curve, and they are taking it totally in stride.
Respect.

Last edited:

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
more on the saga so you dont have to pursue as I do.
It seems like it's not working with some 3rd party chargers.
per the OP.

Leaving Calgary. Tomorrow.
So it now appears that there are “no faults that would have caused the car to cease charging or slow charging.”
The dealership used their Diagnostic computers to pull logs, read the history of fault codes, and then reset those faults. Logs were sent to Germany for further analysis.
After doing that, the car charged at 5.5kW on the newer Porsche Level 2 charger. Better than the 3kW from earlier today. But that difference appears to be just a difference of charging stations.
So they took the car to a Level 3, 50kW charging station at the Audi dealership across town. It charged all the way up to 80% at a 47kW rate. That’s great. Everyone was excited.
“The night is dark and full of terrors.”
One last charging test, they took it it to the 3rd Party 50kW charger on the Flo network, just in case the car was happy with a “familiar” Audi charger, but might fail at the first “unfamiliar” charging station.
Yesterday, at that same Flo charger, it failed completely a few times, then after a “lock for 15 minutes reboot” it charged, but only at 3kW.
Today, that charging station failed (possibly an account issue), but then it worked and charged the car at 47kW.
We still don’t know why it only charged at 3kW yesterday. Really we don’t know anything other than... now it works on at least two chargers. The third charger (at the local BMW dealership) still has an internal fault. Probably not my car’s fault.
I’m here in Calgary for another night. But they’ll be giving me back my fully charged and freshly washed car first thing tomorrow morning.
So I’ll be back on my way again. Headed to Banff. But maybe just to drive through.
I’ll test two more charging stations along the way, still being within range to run back here for help if it fails. If those two charging stations successfully start a charging session, then all this is chalked up as “The Anomaly of the Three Stations”.
It’s been a crazy kind of day, but major Props to the team here at Porsche of Calgary. World Class service.

Last edited: