Enhanced Summon / FSD more camera's needed?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember reading an article somewhere about Teslas approach vs others using Lidar. It had a great schematic around a Tesla for where radar and cameras can "see". That image confirmed what I see IRL, our cars are almost blind when looking behind us. I really dont see a path to FSD without having a long range radar looking behind us. How can we trust the car to change lanes without seeing cars coming up from the rear??? what happens if a car is flying down the left lane at 90 mph and my car wants to change lanes to pass someone? I imagine its going to pull out infront of the speeding car.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember reading an article somewhere about Teslas approach vs others using Lidar. It had a great schematic around a Tesla for where radar and cameras can "see". That image confirmed what I see IRL, our cars are almost blind when looking behind us. I really dont see a path to FSD without having a long range radar looking behind us. How can we trust the car to change lanes without seeing cars coming up from the rear??? what happens if a car is flying down the left lane at 90 mph and my car wants to change lanes to pass someone? I imagine its going to pull out infront of the speeding car.
Our cars have been successfully driving themselves on the highway without rear radar on NOA for months...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are using V10, you can spin the view around and see what the car "sees" behind you. I am actually pretty impressed with the number of cars it sees behind me. With regards to a car speeding up at 90 mph... That is certainly a concern of mine as well, but if you think about it, the car may have a better chance of handling that than a human driver. A human driver looks over their shoulder once, maybe twice, maybe a few times before changing lanes (although I have seen plenty not look at all!), so it's very possible that from the time they take their final look to the time they start changing lanes a car could come speeding up behind them...whereas the car is always looking and hopefully will react accordingly.

Country
Country
IMO, if they do not add more sensors the car will never be fully self driving. Look at the images provided, there are many situations pulling out onto a highway, etc. the camera cannot see far enough to detect moving cars.....I have been in numerous situations where you can barely make a safe decision to pull out, much less a car with cameras mounted half way back on the pillars? Just isn't going to be 100% as it is. Again my opinion but I have significant experience with this tech. I hope for many people who have high hopes and plopped down good hard earned money. I will not purchase FSD for my (3) or my (X) until I see it happening in real time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been in numerous situations where you can barely make a safe decision to pull out, much less a car with cameras mounted half way back on the pillars?
One of the three front cameras is a wide-angle camera with about a 160-degree view. That's further forward than you could ever put your own eyeballs. I think Tesla has everything pretty well covered with the current assortment of cameras.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again, this is testable (by Tesla). Give a human driver a feed that shows only what the various sensors show, and see if they can drive the car effectively. If they can, then FSD is "just" an AI problem. If they can't, then it's also a sensor problem.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again, this is testable (by Tesla). Give a human driver a feed that shows only what the various sensors show, and see if they can drive the car effectively. If they can, then FSD is "just" an AI problem. If they can't, then it's also a sensor problem.
That would be a relevant test if you had 360° eyeballs in your skull. ;)

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our cars have been successfully driving themselves on the highway without rear radar on NOA for months...
Actually, No. The cars still require a 100% attentive, human driver to constantly supervise and take over in an instant.

"successfully driving themselves" implies and requires that no human is involved. We're not there yet.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, No. The cars still require a 100% attentive, human driver to constantly supervise and take over in an instant. "successfully driving themselves" implies and requires that no human is involved. We're not there yet.
No. My car DOES drive itself many many miles at a time without intervention changing lanes and finding the correct exits. Whether or not I am there to take over doesn't negate the fact that it is driving itself...

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about the fact that there are almost NO redundancy sensors correct?? Multiple times last winter I couldnt even use the ACC because my radar sensors had ice on them. They really need a deicing system. I had heard rumers that there was one but from my experience it didnt seem to work.

Actually, No. The cars still require a 100% attentive, human driver to constantly supervise and take over in an instant.
LEGALLY yes thats true. But like @Mr. Spacely stated, my car has driven thousands of miles with zero intervention needed.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Multiple times last winter I couldnt even use the ACC because my radar sensors had ice on them. They really need a deicing system. I had heard rumers that there was one but from my experience it didnt seem to work.
Last year Elon Tweeted that they were working on Vision only.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last year Elon Tweeted that they were working on Vision only.
It would be nice if they added a regular cruise control, even if its just for when ACC is unavailable. I was on a 5 hour trip and was super annoyed I had zero cruise control. On a side note, I thought cameras were a bad sensor for speed, or is that totally false?

edit: grammar