Enhanced Autopilot Now Available for Model Y and Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

SP's Tesla

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Saw this on a Tesla Model Y FB group. Looks like an EAP option is now available for the MY and M3 through the Tesla app.

For me, this is exactly the kind of autopilot upgrade I was looking for at, what I consider, a reasonable price point.

Sean

1600525916740.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Saw this on a Tesla Model Y FB group. Looks like an EAP option is now available for the MY through the Tesla app.

For me, this is exactly the kind of autopilot upgrade I was looking for at, what I consider, a reasonable price point.

Sean

View attachment 35580
Nice catch!! Not just for Model Y, my wife's Model 3 now shows the same option. Nice Q3 end offer. Those who are seriously interested should grab it while it's there. It would be just like Tesla for this offer to disappear after Q3 just as quietly as it appeared!

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My personal opinion of what you get for the $4,000 EAP upgrade(I have FSD on my car, My wife's has basic AP; so I'm very familiar with all functions):

1) Summon...Party Trick, rarely if ever useful.
2) AutoPark...Party Trickish, rarely useful and sporadically available.
3) Navigate on Autopilot...Very helpful for long trips on rural interstates, not really for shorter commutes or familiar interstates.
4) Auto Lane Change... Indispensable. I find TACC alone cumbersome. The lane change feature allows a lane change with a flip of the blinker(but only after the car confirms the safety of said lane change). This ends the need to re-engage TACC after each lane change. It also allows the car to be fully self-driving on limited access roads from entrance to exit when NOA is engaged.

So, is the upgrade worth $4,000? For me, absolutely because I road trip a lot. For my wife, not at all, she mostly drives around home. Would probably behoove Tesla to offer a trial(if not free, then say $100 for a month), so that potential buyers could make an educated decision.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would also be curious to know- What does the upgrade to FSD cost once you've already upgraded to EAP? $5,000-6,000?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I think this is great that they are re-offering EAP. EAP on a HW3 vehicle is what I would choose. It has all the features I really care about with the latest hardware.
Auto Lane Change... Indispensable.
Exactly. Even if I were on a highway once a month, I would want this.
I would also be curious to know- What does the upgrade to FSD cost once you've already upgraded to EAP? $5,000-6,000?
I am going to guess $4k, which I’ve thought has remained the price from EAP to FSD upgrade. But I don’t actually know and would be interested to hear from someone who does.

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
$5000.
I'll see if I can post a picture showing that.

EDIT: nm, @IPv6Freely posted a picture below.

Last edited:

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How confusing to bring back EAP... The different packages were already confusing enough as it was. Maybe they weren't getting enough FSD upgrades.

I'm still on EAP and have zero interest in FSD since it comes with pretty much nothing I don't already have.

I am going to guess $4k, which I’ve thought has remained the price from EAP to FSD upgrade. But I don’t actually know and would be interested to hear from someone who does.
$5000.
1600545541158.png

JeffC

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agree with most of the comments above. I have EAP on my Model 3 and Auto Lane Change is by far the most useful addition. NOA is probably second, but only if you do a lot of highway driving, for example for a daily highway commute.

I remain a fully autonomous driving skeptic. The technology is high AI and much harder to do (well enough to not kill people) than people think. Karpathy is one of the best in AI/neural networks, and Tesla has probably the best neural network hardware, and they're still not able to get it done despite high effort for many years. It may be impossible to train neural networks, simulate real world, or write heuristics (hard coded rules) for every possible long tail edge case that happens in real world driving.

The fact that Tesla broke out EAP as a separate product (again) is almost certainly recognition of the above, and actually sort of a bad sign for robotaxi (which I am also skeptical about). I also do not believe that Tesla needs robotaxi to be a highly successful company. Battery day may ensure that they retain a multi year lead over other car makers. In fact the old car makers may never catch up due to Tesla (and SpaceX) extremely rapid pace of innovation, particularly on batteries, but really on every aspect of cars and manufacturing, and operational benefits like the Supercharger network which is still the best in EU and U.S.

Doing lane keeping and cruise control on a highway is a relatively limited problem due to the lack of cross traffic (at least for most highways, and note that several of the AP crashes are cross traffic trucks), bicyclists, pedestrians, driveways, pets, kids playing, etc.

Therefore full self driving is exponentially harder than automated highway driving. It may not be physically possible to do it safely due to laws of physics such as entropy and related information theory.

Another viewpoint is that breaking out EAP simply lets Tesla capture more software revenue from people who would like NOA, ALC, etc., without getting FSD. I think the distinctive EAP features are different enough from both regular autopilot and FSD that it makes sense as a separate product. More consumer choice is generally a good thing, and it probably gets Tesla more overall revenue to have EAP broken out as a separate product again. So it's probably good for Tesla, even if it may be a negative sign for FSD.

Last edited:

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How confusing to bring back EAP... The different packages were already confusing enough as it was. Maybe they weren't getting enough FSD upgrades.

It's not that confusing at all.

I'm not interested in the EAP upgrade, personally, but let's say I really, really wanted Navigate On Autopilot. My Model 3 is almost 2 years and 3 months old now. Though it's also not true, let's say I'm someone who keeps cars 3 to 5 years before trading in. If that were true, I wouldn't buy Full Self Drive, because the chances of actual FSD becoming a reality before I trade in the car is very slim. So I wouldn't want to put $8000 into FSD just to get a few extra features. I might be more likely to put half as much in to get the features I want immediately with the option to add FSD if it suddenly becomes a reality, and I decide to keep the car a little longer.

I think as time goes on, Tesla is going to start breaking out features and making them available as smaller add-ons, because for a lot of its non-rich customers, it's easier to get them to agree to smaller upgrades at a time as cash becomes available than it is to get them to come up with thousands in one batch. I can definitely see them splitting the EAP upgrade again, and making NoA and Lane Change one package for $2000, and Summon and Auto Park another for $2000.

And I'm kind of hoping they stop selling FSD as a vehicle tied upgrade and make just that a subscription service instead. If you know you'll be taking a long drive across several states, you might want the car to drive itself, because long drives of nothingness are boring. But for your daily commute it might seem ridiculous, so you can let the subscription lapse. Maybe the subscription can even follow you, so if you rent a Tesla or drive a Service Center loaner, you can use your FSD subscription on those, too.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, EAP to FSD will cost you $5.000. That sounds right to me. Today the extra money to upgrade to FSD is an utter waste. But, if your interest is ultimately FSD, then protect yourself by buying now. When real FSD happens(if it does)it won't be bought for $5,000. And I don't think that FSD, when it happens. will be worth >$5,000 to the average driver. EAP might be worth the money for some drivers(including me), FSD is not worth the money for almost anyone(including me...and I bought it).

Petertherock

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Did anyone see the news regarding the full self driving a new package?
Apparently, they just announced it yesterday in the US that you can now get navigate on autopilot, Lane change and summon for the US $4000, and the second package is FSD city navigate which another upgrade.
I noticed that it hadn’t been introduced to Canada yet.
Does anyone know when it will be introduced?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Did anyone see the news regarding the full self driving a new package?
What was old has become new again. Enhanced Autopilot was the autopilot option offered until March 2019. It was originally $5k and didn’t work so well and is now being offered for $4k and is quite good.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's not that confusing at all.
Agree to disagree on that, I guess. They've always done a poor job of communicating what package has what, especially after they eliminated EAP altogether. They were advertising FSD as all the features I already had because you needed FSD to get some of them. It's always been a bit of a mess, that they had finally started clearing up now that so many people had never experienced the days of EAP, and now they've added it back.

So, EAP to FSD will cost you $5.000. That sounds right to me. Today the extra money to upgrade to FSD is an utter waste. But, if your interest is ultimately FSD, then protect yourself by buying now. When real FSD happens(if it does)it won't be bought for $5,000. And I don't think that FSD, when it happens. will be worth >$5,000 to the average driver. EAP might be worth the money for some drivers(including me), FSD is not worth the money for almost anyone(including me...and I bought it).
Definitely not. I won't even have this car by the time FSD is actually a reality. They can't even make NoAP or summon functional enough for me to use at this point, I can't imagine they'll have some massive leap in tech in the next couple years. I can think of better ways to waste $5000.

If FSD happens, and actually works, in the time I still have my car and costs, say, $7000 to upgrade from EAP... well, I'll be happy to pay the "$2000 tax on being wrong" penalty then.

felzano3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
its a bummer that I paid for AP in June 2020 for $2,000 (for a 2 year old M3 RWD long range) and now have to pay another $4,000 to get EAP. Could I have waited for this current offer and gotten a better deal...or do I need AP to go to EAP? I agree with FRC as to what adds practical value to the driving experience - i only want
3) Navigate on Autopilot...Very helpful for long trips on rural interstates, not really for shorter commutes or familiar interstates.
4) Auto Lane Change... Indispensable. I find TACC alone cumbersome. The lane change feature allows a lane change with a flip of the blinker(but only after the car confirms the safety of said lane change).

JasonF's suggestion of:
"I can definitely see them splitting the EAP upgrade again, and making NoA and Lane Change one package for $2000, and Summon and Auto Park another for $2000 " would be something i would go for.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agree to disagree on that, I guess. They've always done a poor job of communicating what package has what, especially after they eliminated EAP altogether. They were advertising FSD as all the features I already had because you needed FSD to get some of them. It's always been a bit of a mess, that they had finally started clearing up now that so many people had never experienced the days of EAP, and now they've added it back.

Definitely not. I won't even have this car by the time FSD is actually a reality. They can't even make NoAP or summon functional enough for me to use at this point, I can't imagine they'll have some massive leap in tech in the next couple years. I can think of better ways to waste $5000.

If FSD happens, and actually works, in the time I still have my car and costs, say, $7000 to upgrade from EAP... well, I'll be happy to pay the "$2000 tax on being wrong" penalty then.
I agree. FSD right now is for people that want to beta test while they try to get FSD working. What they are working on is necessary for FSD but makes for bad driver assist. The Tesla Show guys estimated that about 10% of people purchase FSD I think it was. They are leaving money on the table and overcharging means many people aren't able to enjoy features like auto lane change. This is why everytime they raise prices I say they will probably have a sale. Tesla is not immune to economics and most people won't pay good money for half baked beta features or promises historically off by years.

I don't regret buying FSD($2k over EAP) and will buy it again but not because I think it's right around the corner or because the additional features are worth it. I wouldn't recommend buying FSD unless you want to beta test and realize it may never happen. I'm really happy they are bringing back EAP though because now I can reasonably recommend that to others.

FRC

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't know how many have seen the e-mail that Tesla sent about this EAP offer; but be aware, that e-mail offers the chance to buy this feature between now and September 30th. So, if you want it, buy it. It may not be available again for a while, and maybe never(but I doubt that).

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I'm still on EAP and have zero interest in FSD since it comes with pretty much nothing I don't already have.

$5000.
View attachment 35581

Disagree 100%. Brings back all the useful stuff for those who only have basic AP but don’t believe the FSD hype.

Needsdecaf

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anyone know if this is a refundable purchase, or if a trial is available? Would like to see if it’s any better On HW 3
And with new software than it was on my HW2.5 car was in March.

NR4P

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Having had EAP originally on M3 early model and then upgraded to FSD FOR $3K I think EAP is a good value for $4K. FSD for another $4K on top of that, no thank you.

FSD still has a long way to go to be real FSD. Total hands free. Imagine school zones and being a passive driver.

IMO EAP is very useful for any highway/freeway driver. For daily city use probably not so unless Auopark is desired.